Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... show a warning label in their jackets that states: "Not intended as personal protective equipment... >snip<" (or something to that effect)?? Essentially saying that the jacket is not designed to protect you. Yes, I know we live in a sue-happy nation (USA).

I saw this while looking at some ICON jackets at a local motorcycle shop. I'm not interested in purchasing anything ICON but was curious when I saw the jacket. Then I see the "Warning Label"... ::)

None of my leathers (or any other motorcycle-specific gear) has any warning like this. What is ICON's motivation? Are there more injuries to ICON-clad riders than those protected by other brands? What's with the paranoia?

BTW - Can any ICON owners confirm exactly what is written on this warning label?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
lawyers.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I think part of it comes from Europe. Over there, if it's marketed as protective gear, the entire garment has to meet CE safety specs. If they market it as apparel, they don't have to meet specs.

And you can't sue them for it not protecting you.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
scoprire said:
I think part of it comes from Europe. Over there, if it's marketed as protective gear, the entire garment has to meet CE safety specs. If they market it as apparel, they don't have to meet specs.

And you can't sue them for it not protecting you.
it's an american company.. i doubt it has anything to do with europe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
derby said:
it's an american company.. i doubt it has anything to do with europe.
Any of those warning labels are lawyer driven, whether they're on jackets, toasters or baseball bats. And Icon is sold in Europe, and Canada, if it matters.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
From the FAQ page on the Aerostitch site:

"Legal Notice: These garments are not considered to be personal protective equipment as defined in or within the scope of, the personal protective equipment (EC Directive) regulations 1992 (S.I.1992/3139) and no liability will be accepted arising out of these garments non-compliance with such regulations."

CYA...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
motorep said:
Any of those warning labels are lawyer stupid people who think like victims driven, whether they're on jackets, toasters or baseball bats. And Icon is sold in Europe, and Canada, if it matters.
Fixed it for ya. :) The entitlement mentality may be used and preyed on by sleazy lawyers, but it was not caused by them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts