Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 696 less than 2 months ago. Due to the ever changing Colorado weather, I've only ridden about a half dozen times (got 300 miles on it). I've noticed that I seem to be leaning into the handle bars. And my palms, especially the right one starts to hurt after a while. At one point my right hand was starting to feel numb. When this happens I try to relax my hand and raise my shoulders so I'm not leaning as much.

Is this a common thing for other people? Or am I doing something wrong. This is my first sport bike and my first experience with this type of seating position. Prior to the Monster, I had a V-Star 1100 cruiser, which is a much different riding position. I'm kinda short, at 5' 6", so maybe I need a mod to get the handle bars closer?

Still getting used to that clutch too. Otherwise I love the Monster 696.

Any recommendations or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its a common thing. Most get it. As you ride it more you will get used to it. I usually lean on my hands for a while then hold myself up with my abs for a while. When I first got the bike my hands would get sore in 20 minutes, now it takes a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Anicca got it - use your core muscles and as you get old and fat, you can just lean your stomach on the tank.
Getting some grips that fill the palm of your hand also helps a lot. Look in some touring catalogs, they are cheap.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Risers will help for sure. For $135, they are one of the best mods I did.

You may also benefit from adjustable levers. If they are not in your budget, you can " adjust" the stock ones after you remove the glue that is in the screw head. If you have a 2010, then disregard, as they come with adjustable levers. Your reach to the levers will decrease, reducing fatigue and strain.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
PS: if you remove 2 springs from the clutch, the lever pull will be much lighter and everything will still work fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Relax your hands. In the beginning you have a tendency to squizz the handle bar really hard, this will lead to your hands cramping.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had the same issues with my 1100 and honestly thought I had made a mistake. A combination of risers, grabbing the tank with my thighs, and RELAXING really made a difference. Saddle time helps to toughen up your hands as they are just not used to that position and pressure. Don't worry it will get better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i had the problem on the 1100 too...

never had the problem before on any of my sportbikes ... cbr 600, cbr 900rr, yamaha r1. only when i got the M1100S. my wrists were hurting for weeks after my first long ride!!!

i think it's the angle of the grips. the wide bars and slight angle at the end of the bar is an odd position when twisting the throttle.

try it now as you're reading this: spread your arms wide in front of you like you are gripping a wide bar, grips straight out at the ends. Now act like you are twisting the throttle.

Now do it again, arms wide, but this time change the angle of your wrists as if the end of the bars are angled in toward you. now twist. MUCH BETTER, huh?

the wide bar with slight angle does not lend itself to natural range of motion of the wrists. also, use your core muscles more as explained by other posters. you're not supposed to be putting a lot of pressure on the bars. grip the tank with your knees, especially when stopping. i think a larger grip that stock helps some too.

i changed the grips and put some speedymoto tall boy clips-ons and angled the grips back toward me more. no more wrist pain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, Thanks everybody!

I took a three hour ride today. Some highway, some local. I made a conscious effort to keep my arms relaxed and try not to squeeze the rubber off the grips! It made a big difference. My palms did not get sore today.

And how about that seat. Wow! Three hours in the saddle and absolutely no sore butt. I remember the stock seat on my VStar cruiser was awful. My butt would get sore after an hour and a half. Had to replace it. Got a Mustang seat with a backrest. Now that was comfy!!

bcmonster, I'm with you. I was thinking maybe I made a mistake. This isn't the bike for me. Hence this posting. But you're right. It's getting better. I'm pretty psyched after today's ride. I'm becoming more comfortable with the clutch too. Definitely smoother starts and less over-revving when shifting today.

I gotta say: I love this bike. I'm grinning like an idiot right now just writing about it! :)

I'll keep in mind the risers/grips/levers mods. I haven't done anything yet. My plan is to wait at least til after the 600 mi service and then evaluate some potential mods.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From Gary Bailey the Professor of moto-x. Hold the bars like a door knob, not a barbell. Also when going into a turn or times of total decelleration. Relax your hand and re-grip the bars.

Bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
ct

you've got carpal tunnel syndrome. Google signs and symptoms for it. Look into getting a throttle clip thingy I forgot the brand name , but it clips on to throttle and has a plastic piece that extends to the heel of your palm. All you have to do is let the weight of you hand/arm twist the throttle. I have one and is great if you are going to be on freeway or open road. Oh yea, just kidding about carpal tunnel. I have had both hands released. The numbness and tingling sounds familiar . Take care. Enjoy it, we are fortunate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had a similar experience but these guys are right. Support yourself with your abs and back and loosen up on the grip and the pain will go away. For those who have upgraded grips does it make a big difference? Are the Rizoma grips any good?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are the Rizoma grips any good?
They look good. Works for me. The throttle is a bit sticky at first but I think the interlocking gear they include is a little large for the housing so it's rubbing. Seems to have improved with time (wear down), but I was just about to Dremel it ...

any excuse to use the dremel ... i love my dremel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts