Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this last night.

Put my hand on the filter and it came back covered in oil. Wiped it off and I could put about a quarter turn on the filter just by hand! Leak has stopped.

I'm about due for an oil change anyways, yet I'm still curious as to why at some point in the last 60-100miles of riding my filter backed itself off.

This filter was put on during my 600 mile service by the dealership and I've had no evidence of a leak before this.

Very odd.

Still didn't loose enough oil to notice a drop in the sight glass.

Anyone with any ideas??

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Generally speaking, oil filters should be spun until they just stop moving with a light twist of the hand, and then tightened another 3/4 turn (or in accordance with the appropriate torque value). Obviously, clean oil should have been applied to the gasket before installation.

Your filter was most likely installed improperly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil filter

I should clarify tho that I've got about 2,500 trouble free miles on this filter and all of a sudden it came loose and leaked within the past 60-100 miles.

Seems very odd to me.

Ah well. I'll be sure the next filter goes on properly since I'll be doing the job myself.

Jerry D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same problem with my Multi. I think there is a bad batch of filters. The K&N filter never gave me any troubles. Try those and see what happens.

Nicolae

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did an oil change only a few days after I discovered the loose filter. I used the K&N and in the past 1,200 km it hasn't backed off at all.

Dunno why the filter I had on there before suddenly backed itself down... something I'll keep an eye on from now on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do the 696 use a crush washer? I was told to replace my crush washer everytime on my S2R800. I hope that helps. Ask the dealer. they are $1, so it's not like its a $15 part they were trying to skate out on paying for.
Just noticed this last night.

Put my hand on the filter and it came back covered in oil. Wiped it off and I could put about a quarter turn on the filter just by hand! Leak has stopped.

I'm about due for an oil change anyways, yet I'm still curious as to why at some point in the last 60-100miles of riding my filter backed itself off.

This filter was put on during my 600 mile service by the dealership and I've had no evidence of a leak before this.

Very odd.

Still didn't loose enough oil to notice a drop in the sight glass.

Anyone with any ideas??

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can't recall what the exact torque spec is for the oil filter on a 696, but I think it's 11NM. One thing that I noticed when I did the first oil change on my 696 was that the rubber gasket on the filter stuck to the top of the mounting base when I removed the filter. I simply got a seal pick and removed the old gasket and installed the new filter and torqued to the specified value. If this happened on your bike and the old gasket was not removed, that might explain the problem. One thing that I have done on my bikes and cars with spin-on filters is to make a paint mark at an obvious place where I can quickly check and ensure the filter is not backing off. Another thing that I have done on my cars and bikes is to place a magnet on the side of the filter. I have found (by cutting a filter apart upon change) that the magnet will collect a lot of metalic "goo" and keep it from blocking the filter. Don't know if the magnet helps, but it sure could not hurt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well when I did my oil change a few days after the leaky filter was discovered I checked to see if it was double sealed. It wasn't.

I can see no reason that the filter would have backed itself off on it's own. It was fine for 3,800 kms then all of a sudden it's loose and leaking like a SOB. The new one (a K&N) I installed and check it every other day for tightness, has shown no signs of backing off since it was installed.

I suspect some shithead kid maybe was messing around with my bike while it was parked at my office. Maybe took a half turn off the filter by hand or something. I dunno, just seems odd that it would loosen so much. And it was very loose, nearly put 3/4 turn on it once I wiped the oil off. Weird.

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
If its backing off, then safety wire the jewell.....for those who will flame, its a mtter of taking the correct hose clamp tighten it around the filter and safety wire the clamp to a suitable location on the bottom of the motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts