Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Was Ridin' around rancho santa fe the other day and found myself brushing my toe against the asphalt

I found it was only in the left turns and only sporadically
So am I doing something wrong, should I be pulling my feet farther back on the pegs cuz I tried that and it was kinda uncomfortable, I couldn't shift properly, or should I be moving my feet on the fly or what, I just find it really wierd for that to happen escpecially when people talk about knee draggin', cuz there sno way I could get my knee down there cuz my foot would be hambuger by then........?????????

Tell me what Im doing wrong please!!!!! :p :-[ ::) ;D

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Definitely should be riding on the balls of your feet. I rode somewhat flat footed when I first got the bike and had more than a few toe scrapers. I still angle my foot out sometimes and use a toe to see if I'm close to scraping, but that's on purpose...

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It takes a little while to switch to riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs instead of your arches, but it will give you more control. Yes, I have to move my feet forward to shift or to use the rear brake, but my toes never touch down.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I would not recommend purposely dragging your toes. I talked to guy once who used to do that and after having his foot pulled off the peg and his ankle sprained (not too mention he almost crashed) he now keeps the balls of his feet up on the pegs and toes tight to the bike like they should be. If you hit a crack or surface irregularity in the pavement while your toe is touching it could become very uncomfortable.
I only bring my foot down to shift and I try to have that done before I start my lean in, or as Im exiting the turn and standing the bike up. I just dont use the rear brake while turning at all.

·
Registered
413 Posts
On my S4R, when I put the balls of my feet on the pegs, my right heel is crammed against the heel guard and my right foot position feels pretty unstable. Any other S4R riders notice this ?

By the way, I also scrape the toe of my boot on left handers.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another thing to mention is i'd suggest that you try to hang off the inside of the seat a bit. this will get your weight to help lower the bike's center of gravity and will allow the bike to keep a bit more upright through the corner (won't touch down). also... so long as you're not driving up somebody's rear, remember to continuously roll on the throttle through the corner. as counterintuitive as it sounds, the action of the chain pulling on the sprocket will lever the swingarm downward for more cornering clearance.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
if you move your butt into the turn a little bit, that'll also straighten out your foot, and keep it off the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
No toe gauges. Balls of the feet are best. You will be sorry if your toe drags, especially with the 620 with stock pegs. Toe dragging is bad form as well, and will ultimatly limit your cornering ability.

Look forward to meeting you! Drop by when you are out during the day sometime and show me your bike! I am next to Jaunita's on the 101. Leucadia Chiropractic. Otherwise, I will see you on the hill!

Regards,
Rideon
AKA Dr. Sebastian

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Long legs and big feet make the problem worse. I have to sit on the back seat to ride on the balls of my feet on a Monster.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Oh, I see your in Oceanside! No worries than, Im sure we'll get a chance to go up Palomar with the rest of the guys and then you can see how everyone else rides their monster and you'll get as many riding tips as you want!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes you guys rock....I pass Juanitas almost every ride cuz its just down PCH but yeah looking forward to riding wit ya guys , thanks again

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On my S4R, when I put the balls of my feet on the pegs, my right heel is crammed against the heel guard and my right foot position feels pretty unstable. Any other S4R riders notice this ?

By the way, I also scrape the toe of my boot on left handers.
Yes, I have noticed it. At first it bothered me. But I am over it now. I also saw this in a review of the bike somewhere. I wonder how it is with the Arrow system.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
yep, I notice it, too....I just got used to it

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, I have noticed it. At first it bothered me. But I am over it now. I also saw this in a review of the bike somewhere. I wonder how it is with the Arrow system.
Pretty much the same with the Arrow....I guess I'm going to get over it. Maybe the discomfort comes because one foot feels differnt than the other ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
did the same thing when I started riding, but quickly adjusted my foot position to be on the balls of me feet. I have definitely almost wiped out by lifting my foot off the peg when I started dragging my toe. Now I just drag my foot pegs...

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
All of the above is true. Also, you can increase your ground clearance by getting rearsets and/or switching to GP-pattern shifting. I did both on my bike in 2011, and am happy with the results.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts