Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painting a carbon rear hugger. Sanded and wiped down with wax/grease remover and allowed to dry. Using a Dupli-color Black spray can. I'm getting friggin' fisheyes. WTF?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I ain't no bodyman but maybe too thick a coat?? Try light (nearly dry) coats. Once those dry OK, then you should be able to lay on heavier coats w/o fisheyes...

Good luck.

I take it that you don't like the carbon fiber look?

·
Banned
897 Posts
I think they're pinholes in the carbon, but I don't know what I'm doing either. I'm sure one of the smart people will answer up.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old-Duckman said:
I ain't no bodyman but maybe too thick a coat?? Try light (nearly dry) coats. Once those dry OK, then you should be able to lay on heavier coats w/o fisheyes...

Good luck.

I take it that you don't like the carbon fiber look?
Hmm...I'll try lighter coats.

The carbon was way oxidized when I bought the bike; it might be salvagable by someone with great knowledge and a pony. I'm just painting it, after having chopped it down some.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That will happen wen u paint over carbon fiber. There is no way around it. Ull have to put a few coats of clear if u can, wet sand it , clear it again. Repeat process as often as u need to. I had a gentleman who neede his carbon fiber parts clearcoated, and i had to repeat taht process about 4 times bfore it cud be nice and smooth, and beleive me, it looked show quality. i def liked the clearcoated look on carbonfiber.

As Ddan said, its probably pinholes in the carbon.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Most carbon fiber has lots of pinholes. Usually I get by with three coats of urethane clear, sand with 500 grit (not p500 _ and re-clear. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I should just keep applying coats of paint and sanding in-between?

·
Registered
616 Posts
GregorMac said:
So, I should just keep applying coats of paint and sanding in-between?
Pretty much

·
Registered
616 Posts
U obviously dont want to put on heavy coats, itll just make it worse. Altho i think i may have tried hosing the clear on , almost drowning the part in clear, but unless u have the right material and technique, i wudnt try it. Not to dry nor too wet . Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got two light coats on since the first 'fisheye' coat, and it's starting to take shape. I'll do several more, and then start the clear. Being the rear hugger, putting on lots of coats is fine with me, given the beating it will take.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
They'll come back. The paint and clear will shrink. You are doing just about the only think you can do though short of priming then painting.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
My painter makes me take a pin and a small bit of urethane clear and individually dob the pinholes. Then sand back to flat. Spray clearcoat. Sand. Dob. Sand. Spray clearcoat. Repeat process as penance for some unknown number of past sins. It is a major pain in the butt. It mostly happens with carbon pieces that use a low resin content, i.e. the pieces you get from Ducati Performance. I have a DP carbon nose fairing on my desk now with the first coat of clear on it. 11ty billion f****'n little pinholes and I **** you not. It may take until Christmas to fix this one. :mad: :mad:

Check out the holes in the glare ----

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a rear hugger so, I'm not looking for absolute perfection.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Mac900 said:
My painter makes me take a pin and a small bit of urethane clear and individually dob the pinholes. Then sand back to flat. Spray clearcoat. Sand. Dob. Sand. Spray clearcoat. Repeat process as penance for some unknown number of past sins. It is a major pain in the butt. It mostly happens with carbon pieces that use a low resin content, i.e. the pieces you get from Ducati Performance. I have a DP carbon nose fairing on my desk now with the first coat of clear on it. 11ty billion f****'n little pinholes and I **** you not. It may take until Christmas to fix this one. :mad: :mad:

Check out the holes in the glare ----
I notice your painter makes you do it........ [clap]. The reason is you couldn't afford to have him do it.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
ducpainter said:
I notice your painter makes you do it........ [clap]. The reason is you couldn't afford to have him do it.
Yep. Especially since this is the forth carbon piece that's being done. [laugh]

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Mac900 said:
Yep. Especially since this is the forth carbon piece that's being done. [laugh]
Some of the newer carbon has a higher resin content to avoid this situation. The DP stuff is not very painter friendly.

·
Banned
897 Posts
ducpainter said:
Some of the newer carbon has a higher resin content to avoid this situation. The DP stuff is not very painter friendly.
So what's the best option? My rear hugger is due for it's semi-annual rattle can clear. I know what it's gonna look like....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts