Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like we may get a serious Ducati effort in AMA superbike next year. As of today the two names in the hat are, Ruben Xaus and Nori Haga. With full Ducati Corse support either of these guys will be a serious threat to the current AMA regulars. The press release I read said the team will get full factory 999s. I've been waiting for this since Vance and Hines, with Bostrom and Gobert left the series. Has anyone else heard of any other riders who are up for the ride?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
No......... But, the only thing Gobert was good for was being a whining Bi**h! So, anything will be better than that! I would really like to see Ducati Austin get someone worthy of their outstanding crew :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Will they run two riders in 2004?

They are getting 999 F03's which is good. Wow, we are going to get as current a bike as BSB does for a change.

Xaus and Haga would be interesting. Talk about win or crash...

I know that Vincent Haskovic tested a couple of times, but I'm sure they are looking for a big name rider if they can get it.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Probably so.

Great - too cheap for two decent riders again.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I agree - I was pleased with Bussei's fill-in performance. It would be nice to see him and Xaus teamed up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bussei also made a good showing in the WSB at Leguna Seca. To have him and Xaus represent the AMA in the US round would be great. Seeing Xaus carve through the pack in the first race this year was unbelievable. OK, so he crashed in 11. These things happen. He still won the second race.

H

·
0 Posts
I have no idea. I just wanted to see my name on all the forums on this board! ;D

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
My guess is that Xaus hasn't been signed to the second MotoGP team yet besed on the thin film of hope that they might still have a chance to snag Rossi. Most likely, Rossi will sign with Yamaha and Xaus will fill the last spot in MotoGP.

Assuming that happens, my guess is that Austin Ducati may consist of Bussei and Haskovic.

In the "other interesting possibilllities" department, there are some riders in WSBK that don't seem to have rides yet. Chris Walker had an option on a second year at GSE, but since they aren't going racing in WSBK next year it's possible that Ducati could talk him in to coming to AMA. I don't think Frankie had a multi-year deal either, but I don't think he'd be too into leaving Italy at this point.

From the AMA side we have Kurtis Roberts who says he's going GP racing, but doesn't have a ride yet. A multi year deal at Ducati with a GP option on the second year might lure him in. And there's my favorite option if Xaus isn't coming over... Five time AMA 250 GP Champion Rich Oliver on a 999!

--Fillmore

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I like the Roberts prospect. He is young and is a very determined rider. He does not seem to have all the issues of the higher paid riders, or the attitude.

T

·
0 Posts
I know for fact that Xaus is seriously considering an AMA ride. He likes the series and he likes Texas..........alot. However, as of three weeks ago, there were no firm plans for Reuben to move.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Roberts has said he wants GP. He will probably ride a Proton.

Chili has his own team, his own money and will probably not leave Italy at this point in his carrer - no need to. He is doing exactly what he wants. Not that I wouldn't love to see him here - he has a great fan following.

I am still hoping for Xaus in AMA, but I am sure he wants GP bad.

·
Registered
434 Posts
How about Pascal Picotte? He did pretty well even with the last minute effort thrown together after he was fire by Austin in 2002. (after a pretty good showing at Daytona).

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I think there was talk of him riding for Ducati Austin in 2003 as a second rider, but nothing ever became of it. It was probably an issue of funding since there was only one bike for 2003.

I guess there is a chance he could come back - interesting idea ;D.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today Kawisaki releases Eric Bostrom. It is now possible that Eric could be racing an Austin Ducati 996 in AMA Superbike. The plot thickens.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Not a 996. The AMA team for 2004 is supposed to have 999 F03 bikes and Corse engineering support.

;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts