Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Who makes the best quality tail chop kit?

298K views 458 replies 271 participants last post by  bradleyjsamida 
#1 ·
Best quality and good instructions too. Desmoworld offers a couple of kits I'm interested in if anybody has any experience with them.

#449 ·
Me!! A few pieces of aluminum, a saw or two, and have at it!

This is one mod that everyone can do themselves. It's very simple and doesn't cost much. If you have a hacksaw (drill and file) and tin snips (which u can buy for cheaper than most chop kits cost), you can make ur own.
1) remove the light/blinker assembly (after taking the seat off)
2) saw the tail just before the seat latch on both sides
3) put some paint or silicone on exposed metal from saw
4) insert some kind of frame plugs (many types available at lowes/home depot or bike shops)
5) use carboard to make a template for mounting tailight and blinkers (basically a 4 sided box with a holes for tillight and blinkers)
6) trace template onto sheet aluminum
7) cut with snips (file edges smooth), drill holes out
8) bend into shape (then I painted mine black)
9) bolt everything up
10) done for a fraction and with knowledge that u did it yourself
Then break your arm patting yourself on the back....
Me!! A few pieces of aluminum, a saw or two, and have at it!

Hey man.
Was just wondering if you could mabey shoot a closer pic so I can kinda see how you set it up? Be dope ,thanks

#7 · (Edited)
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#9 ·
Cookie1 (a board member/sponsor here) makes one that's supposed to be really nice if you want to spend the money. From what I've heard, the instructions are top notch and he's available here to assist if needed. There are a few threads here with lots of pics and testimonials. I believe they're in the Acc & Mods section (or can be found with the search).

Hey cookie1, can I get a discount for the plug?

#11 ·
I think I make the best quality tail chop. $5 at Home Depot and about 2 hours. Frame plugs from one of my defunct moutain bikes. I think what a lot of guys are saying here, is you don't really have to spend much. It's probably one of the cheapest "major" mods you can do, and do yourself.

#13 ·
+1 for Cookie1's kit

[attachment deleted by admin]

#14 ·
This is the single most frequently asked Accessories & Mods question. So I made it sticky.

Please see the FAQ and post only new information please.

#16 ·
+2 on Cookie1's kit .... got arrested 2 weeks ago because of it [laugh] [laugh] : the police officer said I should bend it downwards since, he said, people that usually have a plate facing the sun like that run away from the cops ....... MOUHAHAHAHAHAHA .... I pulled the I-bought-it-like-that card ... since police don't know crap about Ducatis (well not where I live since you can get an R6 for the price of a M620 over here, so there aren't much around).

#17 ·
SpeedyG said:
+2 on Cookie1's kit .... got arrested 2 weeks ago because of it  [laugh] [laugh] : the police officer said I should bend it downwards since, he said, people that usually have a plate facing the sun like that run away from the cops ....... MOUHAHAHAHAHAHA .... I pulled the I-bought-it-like-that card ... since police don't know crap about Ducatis (well not where I live since you can get an R6 for the price of a M620 over here, so there aren't much around).
arrested?

#19 ·
Bullydub said:
I have pro italia's kit and lets just say, I would go with competition's.  Proitalias mounting plate needed milled out because it doesn't mount up for crap.  My dealer had the same problem when they put one on a S4Rs.
I bought the Pro Italia kit for my S4Rs. The instructions were wretched, no pictures or diagrams. I couldn't figure out what do with the bag of screws and washers in the kit so I just put it together with the OEM leftovers. The plate was drilled 1/4 off which made it an uneven fit between the frame ends. It about an hour from start to finish without power tools and looks like the photos. I wouldn't buy the kit again, it would be easier to get the materials from lowe's.

#20 ·
This is one mod that everyone can do themselves. It's very simple and doesn't cost much. If you have a hacksaw (drill and file) and tin snips (which u can buy for cheaper than most chop kits cost), you can make ur own.
1) remove the light/blinker assembly (after taking the seat off)
2) saw the tail just before the seat latch on both sides
3) put some paint or silicone on exposed metal from saw
4) insert some kind of frame plugs (many types available at lowes/home depot or bike shops)
5) use carboard to make a template for mounting tailight and blinkers (basically a 4 sided box with a holes for tillight and blinkers)
6) trace template onto sheet aluminum
7) cut with snips (file edges smooth), drill holes out
8) bend into shape (then I painted mine black)
9) bolt everything up
10) done for a fraction and with knowledge that u did it yourself
Then break your arm patting yourself on the back....

#303 ·
Can someone please be so kind as to explain step 4 to 6 to me?

I'm not sure what function this aluminum box would do, and how it would fit, and what it would look like.

Can someone please show me using pictures their home made chop jobs?

I'd like to take this on myself, but I'm scared.

PS: I have an 2005 Monster 620

THANK YOU!

#22 ·
Here is my tail chop ;D

Attachments

#23 ·
newslacker said:
I bought the Pro Italia kit for my S4Rs. The instructions were wretched, no pictures or diagrams. I couldn't figure out what do with the bag of screws and washers in the kit so I just put it together with the OEM leftovers. The plate was drilled 1/4 off which made it an uneven fit between the frame ends. It about an hour from start to finish without power tools and looks like the photos. I wouldn't buy the kit again, it would be easier to get the materials from lowe's.
Pro Italia does NOT make the best quality tail chop kit. Don't buy from there. I wish I had not bought it. High dollar piece if crud that won't fit. It took some serious finess to make it work. I had to. I paid to have it powdercoated before I put it up to the bike and discovered the I would have returned it...Too late.

DON'T BUY PRO ITALIA,  DON'T BUY PRO ITALIA,  DON'T BUY PRO ITALIA,  DON'T BUY PRO ITALIA!!!!

#25 ·
I agree w/monsterrod. I bought the integrated turn signal from Clear Alternatives and cut my frame with a couple pieces of making tape to keep the cut straight and a 32 teeth per inch hacksaw blade. It is perfect, I highly recommend Clear Alternatives, I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer (very satisfied)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.