Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's an acquired taste.. but personally I don't like the sound at all

I hold my clutch in, just so I don't have to hear it rattle away

especially on youtube vids... I have a stock exhaust.. and I'm trying to watch video's of the exhausts

listen to the pulses and burble at Idle, and rev up etc..

all I can hear is the stupid clutch banging away...

i almost wish ppl would tie their clutch in for the duration of the vid.. or have a friend sit on the bike..

but it seems to me the Duke owners are proud of this sound, and laugh at the ignorance of others.. who think their bike sounds "broken"

to me it's a sound that is almost like a combination of a racing OS Giken twin or triple plate clutch... mixed with the sound of an engine with spun main bearings... or terrible piston slap or rod knock or Tappets way out of adjustments

basically all "bad things" minus the OS Giken..

I can see the appeal of the open clutch covers "to see things work" but the fact that it makes the rattle even louder is motivation enough for me to not want to do it.. a clear acrylic one on the other hand maybe...

What's your guys take on the whole thing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the Tamborine sound. (clutch in)
Hate the death rattle with it out.
I even have a large zip tie to hold the lever in when warming the bike up after a wash or before a ride.

I seen a advert over here along the lines of.
For sale, as much as I love riding the bike, I can not stand the rattle any more so selling the bike.

I think I will be buying an after market clutch to shut it up.
As it is slowing driving me nuts.
And I thought my KTM dirt bikes had a noisy clutch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL

Zip tie is a nice idea! I think i'll have to do something similar lol

I'm getting tired of ppl asking

I wonder if instead of open clutch.. can we put dynamat behind the cover lol

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I love the sound. It says Ducati. To me it's part of the tradition of the brand, just like the trellis frame, the L twin motor, and the desmo valves. There is no questioning what brand you are hearing coming around the corner when you hear that clutch. I never really stopped to think whether the sound is actually audibly pleasing - I have always loved it for it's tradition and uniqueness. People asking about it just gives us an opportunity to share our love for Ducati's heritage :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure if ppl ask in a curious inquiring way..

but when ppl ask me what's "wrong" with my bike and often tell me how bad it sounds

it's not really fun

i'm hoping the termi kit will help drown out the sound of the engine with something much more pleasant

·
Registered
213 Posts
The best comparison is a spoon stuck in a garbage disposal, ever heard? If not start up your bike it's the same. I love it, not only is it Ducati, no other bike does it. Well there probably is, Doesn't the Benelli Tornado have a dry, open clutch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I really like the sound...it's so unique. I haven't installed the open cover on it yet, but I plan to. I'll admit though, it was a little concerning when I heard it for the first time a few years ago. :)

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
i love it. i rode the bike to work last week and got a funny look from a coworker. as i'm walking in he says, "sounds kinda rough". i didn't think any more about it. then it hit me, he was talking about the clutch. today i explained the dry clutch thing to him. he was intrigued. it's unique to Ducati. it's different, and in today's age of cookie-cutter bikes, different is good, in my opinion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also don't care for the spoon in the disposer sound.
When I bought my S2R1K an open basket was installed and a Quat ExBox. Yes very unique sound that I knew was going to be there. I immediately installed the stock basket but it is still noisy. Then I could actually hear the exhaust note which I've grown to like but the clutch no way. I too was wondering if something could be strayed or glued to the inside of the stock basket to dampen the noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well what can I say.
Firstly, it has to be a love or hate sound.

I guess, I must hate it.
It has worn me down and are now selling the bike. (with mixed feelings)
I do like every thing else about the bike.
Like riding it, just hate starting it to warm up and sitting at the lights with it idling.
All ways felt like turning the motor off and restarting it when the lights turn green.

Glad most of you like it and long may it continual.

Once I bought a second bike, I just stopped riding the Ducati.
So up for sale it goes. (bugger)

·
Registered
9 Posts
the sound gives me a boner. I have a barnett alum clutch and basket and hated life every since the install:(
So you find that the Barnett clutch had made a big difference?

I have heard, second hand that some found it did not quite down the rattle by much and were disappointed with the mod.
Others say the Barnett clutch will make it sound like a normal clutch.
Both can not be right.

My bike has not sold yet so can still pull it out of the shop.
I just want to quite down the rattle to some thing I can live with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got so little experience of other bikes I just assumed that was the normal sound!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts