Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
07 monster s2r

I have the exact same problem on my 07 s2r 800 :mad:. could someone please PM me on how to fix it? thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem with my 08 695. If someone would take a minute to PM me and explain some steps they took to fix this problem, it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is an awfully small number of people for a problem that seems like it should be very common. Does this impact only 6xx monsters? Or do the larger models also feel this?
It's Multisrada as well. I'm working on a fix and was talking to my dealer about what bikes are affected. They had one in the shop. Too bad. The only option that they could give that poor soul was replacing the whole assembly.

The dealer said that they've tried fixing them but they fail pretty shortly afterward.

·
Registered
19 Posts
how did it go?

I feel like I have complete success with my fuel pump wiring harness rebuild. I disassembled everything and tested continuity of old wires. Yes, I had a break or high resistance connection for the red wire (power for pump) and white wire (goes to low fuel warning sensor). Continuity changed as I manipulated the wires. By the way, my low fuel warning light was not working. It was really shocking that the wires looked great and there was no visible problem. It must have been a break internal to the wire insulation. I pulled all the old wires and replaced them with equal or larger gauge new wire. Other than the need to be careful about taking everything apart (take photos as you go), the majority of the effort involved removing the epoxy-material that houses the wires where they go from the wet to dry side. You will need to 'gut' that material, run new wires through and reseal with something. I used JB weld (2-part epoxy) and I assume it will hold. It's only been one day but everything is working great! Some of these pics are before new wires and some are after new wires.
How did this turn out Paul? Looks like your bike and my bike went down around the same time. I pulled mine apart same as you but I'm machining a whole new assembly to get rid of the epoxy problem. When I pulled the epoxy out of that bung the wires just fell apart in my hands (the epoxy was holding the connections) because the solder had failed. I'll post pics of my final product. I'm really bad at keeping up to date pics of projects that I do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
finally finished

I finished the build tonight. I started from scratch and built a whole new bulkhead. I didn't use any of the original parts so it won't be prone to the same failures. Also no experimental adhesives, epoxies, sealants, or substrates, only elements with confirmed resistance to Ethanol. It's tougher than it sounds. I think I've laid the groundwork for a permanent fix. Pretty sweet. Only time will tell. I've been sharing peeks of my build with my local dealer and they're pretty interested in seeing it work. It's a good thing that I put it in tonight. A short test ride and I'm confident. I think that this weekend I will swing by the dealer. Maybe I can trade my work for a Panigale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. First the wires now an epoxy issue. I replaced the bad wires with the CA Cycleworks wiring harness, but now the epoxy is leaking... I feel like i can't win with this one. How are everyone's repairs holding up?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bummer Kiefer. It's like you said, there really seems to be no winning on this one. We're all just jumping from one fix to the next.

I love my monster. I've had it for 16,000miles and I think that they're VERY reliable machines. So what if someone overlooked a minor thing like the epoxy inside of the bulkhead. It's still an awesome machine.

I have to say that I am FRIGGIN EXCITED! about the response that I've had to this fix. I have all of your PM's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
short-run?

I just want to throw this out there for everyone. I'll be careful with my wording because I understand the forum rules on posting advertisements and such. Take this how you will....I'm going to do a short-run on this part because I think that it's awesome. It fixed my problem with a bad connection. If you think that it's a match for you to fix a leaky baseplate on your bike, or a bad connection on your baseplate just let me know. Some of you have PM'd me already.

I'll also try to make time to post a tutorial on how to get into your baseplate to pull everything apart to recondition it. Ducati doesn't sell the individual parts to fix what has failed. It's really up to us to get in there and make it happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone have any luck with the fuel pump issue? We're trying to swap out the wiring - is there any special wiring that needs to be used to pass through the gasoline? Or just any wiring will do?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see this is an old thread, but can somebody please send me step by directions on how to fix this. I just got quoted $1500 from a dealer in Virginia to replace the whole assembly. any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have never seen a detailed DIY. Only to remove the epoxy and replace the wiring. I've also seen a bunch of posts about people who were going to attempt this, but I've yet to read any success stories. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't seen them.

PM sent to JonPLes12

·
Banned
1 Posts
Help with fuel pump

I have a Monster 695 2008 and am having the same problems. If you could send me instructions of how you repaired yours that would be fab. Its starting to get me down now as its been a problem for several months now. Nothing nice about going for a ride on an unreliable bike.
Hows your holding out? Did it last?

I have a 2007 Monster 695. I don't ride it much since I got a couple other bikes, so it only has 4300 miles.

A few months ago, my bike started cutting out here and there, and had trouble starting.

Eventually it was fully diagnosed that my fuel pump was going out. And the part alone was $900.

Not wanting to pay the crazy money they were asking, I investigated the fuel pump issue myself.

Using resources from here I determined that one RED wire was causing my fuel pump not to work.

For those of you who don't know how to fix it, feel free to contact me regarding how to fix it, its extremely easy but a little time consuming because of wait time. Entire work time is approx. 1-2 hours but wait time is 24 hours.

I am extremely disappointed in Ducati with how they designed this wire issue. The wires go through some epoxy and because of the short length of wire, will eventually break or fray if you lift your tank up.

Strangely enough, I have only lifted my tank up twice, once to replace the battery and once to replace the ECU with the termi unit.

I think that too many customers are having or had this issue. Please reply back and state year and make of the bike and how you fixed the fuel pump issue.

I am trying to get a head count for possible litigation or to lodge a complaint with the NHTSA.

Thanks

·
Banned
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Monster 695. I don't ride it much since I got a couple other bikes, so it only has 4300 miles.

A few months ago, my bike started cutting out here and there, and had trouble starting.

Eventually it was fully diagnosed that my fuel pump was going out. And the part alone was $900.

Not wanting to pay the crazy money they were asking, I investigated the fuel pump issue myself.

Using resources from here I determined that one RED wire was causing my fuel pump not to work.

For those of you who don't know how to fix it, feel free to contact me regarding how to fix it, its extremely easy but a little time consuming because of wait time. Entire work time is approx. 1-2 hours but wait time is 24 hours.

I am extremely disappointed in Ducati with how they designed this wire issue. The wires go through some epoxy and because of the short length of wire, will eventually break or fray if you lift your tank up.

Strangely enough, I have only lifted my tank up twice, once to replace the battery and once to replace the ECU with the termi unit.

I think that too many customers are having or had this issue. Please reply back and state year and make of the bike and how you fixed the fuel pump issue.

I am trying to get a head count for possible litigation or to lodge a complaint with the NHTSA.

Thanks
Hello. I have a 2005 S2R 800. I have been having problems with my fuel pump. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I know my bike wont start when I turn the key and don't hear the fuel pump prime. If you could offer any help it would be greatly appreciated. It is very frustrating to hear bikes go by my house, knowing I have one in my garage and can't ride her. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thank you. Eddy O

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fuel pump issue with 2003, 800 monster. 4 wires go into tank; red, black, white, black. White is only one getting power with ignition on, understand this is low fuel indicator. So if red is for fuel pump and my 20 amp pump fuse is good...then problem is further back than inside the tank.

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 monster with the same issue with my fuel pump. Wanting to replace it myself, i called Ducati to see how much it is and it was over a grand! I was in shock....So there's a way to fix the issue? Please let me know. I can't afford a fuel pump and the valve adjustment and i don't want to get into debt by trading it in for a new one. Thank you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Search eBay for used fuel pumps. They sell for 100-300$.

I have a 695 and have used an S2R pump with no issues. Not sure if the opposite way works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, I'm having this problem, too. Instead of folks PMing the instructions, would someone please post step by step instructions so everyone can see them?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts