Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S2Travis; took the liberty of putting this up for you...
How do you do a poll? I am curious as to what percantage of people here have crashed there bikes. And how many miles did they get before they did.

S

·
0 Posts
Not unless dropping the bike in the driveway counts..never while riding. Not yet. I'm at about 12K in two years of riding.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Little stuff like in gravel doesn't really count, but I had one big one. Clasic left turn without looking...right into me. I ended up with chronic pain and a limp. Bike went back together fine. I used to think that the grossest mechanical job was packing bearings or the inevitible oil in your hair when servicing older automatic transmissions. After my wreck I learned that the grossest job is sitting in a wheelchair scraping/polishing your own burned flesh off header pipes.

Doc
With a boo boo on my foot

·
Registered
132 Posts
Kind of a loaded question,

riding for 25 years.

1 crash in the past 10

Many crashes on the track TNTC

Totaled 2 bikes, 1 was my fault, the other was hit by another bike from the rear.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've crashed twice in 15 years. Once kind of a low speed slip and fall over kind of thing that didn't hurt the bike too much,but seperated my shoulder and my other an oncoming car crossed over in my lane and I went off the road at 45 mph.That one I fractured a vertabrae in my neck ( my C6 ) and got about 90stiches in my head and face and some road rash.

S

·
0 Posts
I got my first street bike (a Kawasaki GPz550) in 1985, and have had bikes pretty much consistently ever since.

Around a dozen or so in total.

Never crashed, dropped, or even scratched a single one of them! ;D

Knock on carbon fiber . . .

H

·
0 Posts
I grew up on dirt bikes. It was years before I figured out that I wasn't SUPOSED to crash. Now I just do it for old times sake! ;D

M

·
0 Posts
I'm with you Herb.. I also grew up on dirt bikes, crashed atleast once a week. Never anything serious.
Crashed, more like dropped the monster on myself once.
I was going uphill and there was a traffic jam (or some idiot stopped in the middle of the road for no reason) I decided to do a U-turn, which is a little tricky on an uphill grade, atleast for me. I was just going to slow and at the top of the "U" plunk, toppled right over. minor scuffs on the bar end and shifter. Good excuse to get bar-end mirrors!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have crashes on the street once 30 years ago. I hit some wet pine needles on a curve and was down before I knew what had happend. I still motocross as well as street ride. Motocrossing, I've had three concussions, a dislocated shoulder, blown out both knees, bit through my tongue and,have broken my ribs. Last month the doctor told me I need to have my hip replaced. Oh, and I don't want to leave out the time my bike landed on my back with the throttle stuck wide open. Road rash with an attitude. Some how I have convinced myself that offroad is safer than the street. I could be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Thrice in the five years of Duc ownership, two of them involved guardrails at over 60mph. I have actually totalled my bike twice, but I got the dealership to leave off a couple of thing from the estimate that I could fix myself (bent frame, twisted clip-on, severed brake lines, etc). the first estimate came to within $35 dollars of totaling it and the insurance compnay asked me if I wanted to "go ahead and total it out". Worst injury recieved to date, blood blister on left thumb, I love my leathers.

·
Registered
849 Posts
'75 CB750, first bike, about 9 months into my riding career: 60mph, t-boned a car that had run a stop sign. My wife was travelling in the opposite direction and recognized our bike stuck in the side of the car, the rear wheel five feet up in the air while Paramedics were attending to me. That one hurt.

XR650: Avoided a child that ran into the road, hit some sand, low-speed highside onto the curb. Fun ride, sore ankle.

R6: rear-ended another R6 whose rider parked it in the middle of turn 4 at the Streets of Willow. No injuries to me, the bike was hurtin'.

S4: Low-sided in the canyons at 60 mph playing catch with a 954 - on bald tires. It hurt, but not as bad as #1.

A couple tumbles in the dirt, guess they don't count as crashes. So far, I've been lucky.

-R.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Not recently - Thank God. Lowsided at 60 when I was 16. Those first raindrops really lift the oil out of the center of the lane. In my early 20's endoed my Yam DT 360 and spent about 6-7 weeks on crutches. My fault again.

Hopefully I've fulfilled my quota.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hard to remember them all with the lingering effects of head trauma... Let's see, I was in line behind an F250 pickup entering a parking garage and the guy decided to back up without checking his mirror, crunching my front tire and forks. Does that count? Then one day I lost the fron end after going thru a patch of fresh asphalt in a construction zone...tore a ligment in my knee but I "saved" it. Drifted off into a daze toward the end of 450+ mile day in the West Virginia mtns and while I was staring at the map on my tankbag the road went left and I went into the woods!

Highsided at Los Vegas Speedway and spent four days in the hospital. Low sided in the rain at Summit Point. Had a rider inside of me take me out at Roebling Road. Was rear ended entering turn 5 at Summit knocking me off.

Once I started racing, I decided that riding on the street was insane. But it's been a few years and now that I live in Sunny California, I've dusted the Monster off and put her back on the road... glad to find a group of like minded hooligans. ;)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I was quite proud that I had gone 16 years crash free. I'm back up to 6 weeks and going for a new record. ;)

You never know when something will go wrong and you'll crash, so dress appropriately all the time.

R

·
0 Posts
two official.....one high, one low....not on a duc yet....had a few off the track
saves on the 900...monster seems to handle grass, dirt, leaves, gravel, pretty good....highside coulda been bad but I had a backpack on with a tackle box in it that took the blow....completely crushed it.....felt like I landed on a pillow..my first back protector...
can't even count the times I should of crashed on the monster but somehow didn't.......

M

·
0 Posts
seems like there are a lot of crashes/tank slappers lately. I'm ordering a damper asap.

My one and only crash, knock on asphalt, was when i was young and dumb(er). Had a killer white/gold honda hurricane at the ripe old age of 16. Had the bike two weeks and was tooling down a hill near a local hihgschool. The hill was steep, like SanFran steep and ended at a odd angled cross street. I was only doing 15-20mph or so at best, since I had to make a left turn and the angle was more acute than 90 degrees I went a touch wide and cut the corner a little. Right into gravel.

I was starting to lowside nicely until I got to the curb and it promptly flipped me over into the plush grass. I thank those groundskeepers for their hard work.

The way the slide happened and then going into the grass the bike only had some pipe dragging and some scuffs on the wheels.
I was about as lucky. Just bumps, bruises and damaged ego.
I heard that a year or two later some guy almost died at the exact same spot and crashed almost the same way except he was going way too fast and catapuled into a metal railing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts