Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and girls,

Whilst checking my oil level yesterday, I saw there was some white stuff on/behind the window. I read somewhere that has to do with moisture/humidity. It is quite chilly and wet here in the Netherlands at the moment, so that might explain it. My main question is, is this normal or is it bad and do I need to do something? The bike is quite new and has run about 5000 km's. It had an oil change at 1000, so the oil itself should not be a problem (right?).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

DUCky

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
That often happens with a combination of cool, humid weather and short rides that don't heat the oil enough or long enough to cook out the water vapor that finds its way into the crankcase as a normal product of combustion. It condenses and emulsifies in the oil, making the milky looking stuff.

The simple cure is ride further and longer each time to evaporate the water from the oil.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Normal winter oil milk, here in Pa.
Just like Mark1305 said, ride farther, longer, harder.....or wait till spring and it should go away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must admit I get quite exited when I am around my monster. When you have to ... you have to....

I will take her out for a good long drive today. That should care of her ;D

DUCky

·
Registered
668 Posts
There is a scientifical way to check if the ride was warm and long enough,
You see,
there is that oil temp (newer models I have to say) indicator in the speedometer or rev meter system in the front.
I make it to go over 100C degrees, which is the boiling point of water.

Well, as much water there is, might evaporate sooner,
but anyway, my 2 centissimos = more than 2 cents these days..... unfortunately....

Skier

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Even on a long ride and the temp gets to 200 or my , the white stuff still stays on mine a little, and is right back the next day, the weather is just too [email protected] cold!

G

·
If you remove the emissions from the crank case and install a K&N type filter it seems to help. It seems the water vapor condenses in the rubber tube and runs back into the crank case on cold days.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ditto what Silas says. Since I put one of those evil, HP sapping K&N crank breather filters on, viola, no more water in the oil .

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Milky oil in the sight glass is common to Ducatis ridden in the cold. I've found that it goes away if I use a synthetic or semi-synthetic oil. It also goes away if I ride in 100 degree weather for a few hours. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've always thought the white on the sight glass is no big deal... It's just something that happens and it's not really going to hurt anything. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Skier,

Do you cover your oil cooler in winter? I am unable to get the oil temperature over about 85 degrees C , even if I ride way up in the revs. Should I leave the bike to run stationairy, so there is no air cooling effect? The temperature is around 0 degrees Celcius over here at the moment.

Cheers,

DUCky

1 - 16 of 16 Posts