Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike has been a gem till about a month ago.... 2007 S4rs

When I start the bike I get a puff of white smoke and it continues to spit out a bit more until its at running temp, then it stops smoking and runs normally.

Bike has a DP ecu, PCIII, Full Arrow system and has been dyno tuned.

Is it safe for the engine to continue riding it?

Any ideas as to the cause? I'm thinking bad head gasket.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bueller... bueller...

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
White smoke tends to be water burning. Light blue, grey or sometimes white is oil burning. My guess is that your valve seals/guides are wearing a bit and oil is leaking down into the cylinder at night and burns off shortly after warming up. As the parts warm up they will seal themselves up. The minute amount of oil that would be getting by would burn off in the cylinder in such a manner that you wouldn't see it after warming up. All of this could be true if water is getting passed the head gasket and into the cylinder.

Worse case would be a crack or weep hole in the cylinder itself.

If you plan to replace the head gaskets then it would be a perfect time to check out and recondition the valves as well.

I'm new here but I am going to point out that you don't mention in your post anything about mileage of the bike, type of riding you do (IE: does it get flogged or pampered), and what type of maintenance it receives, even knowing how often it goes between rides can help influence the types of responses you will get.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Oh and I should also add that you ought to check the torque on the head bolts to see if they've loosened. You can drain your oil to see if water is in it, on bikes this is more difficult but on cars you can remove the filler cap and if there is a white slime on it, water is definitely in the oil. You might be able to remove a valve inspection cap and see if foam or slime is built up anywhere. Before riding out, and after having left it for a spell, pull your plugs and see if oil has leaked down onto them.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mileage is ~16000kms, Gets ridden fairly hard, but I wouldn't say I flog it. Very well maintained. I'll check the head bolt torque for sure, if there's no change I guess the heads will be coming off this winter... :(

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Just watch your temp gauges a lot. Do the oil change and check for scum as well. Checking plugs and oil should give you the best hint as to what is going on. If your gauges go hot even slightly you need to cool it down and park it. Motorcycle heads are so small they are easy to warp. I've warped many car heads pounding on them. I know of at least one time I wound up on the wrong end of a $1,200 head rebuild instead of changing out the $9 head gasket on my Toyopet Corona 3RC. That would have taken me an hour to do but I kept saying, "just one more day". After I finally changed it out, the temp stayed hot. Thankfully no cracks but I did have to shave the head. Add to that I decided it was time to do a valve job because who knows what damage was done. While it was apart I said to myself I might as well pull the oil cover and remove the crank rods to put in new rings and bearings. I did all this with the engine in the car as I had no place else to do it.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Yep i have to agree. do a oil change and check the oil for any thing wrong.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do fellas, thanks. As far as the temp, it's been running normally, no changes.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the oil last night, looks as good as the day I put it in there.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
well to be noted i always thought white smoke was you were burning too much fuel. since it stops when your at norm temp, i would wonder if your PCM is over fueling for warm up then leans out when the temp sensor is switched. Id take your bike down to a tuner and see how the PC is fueling on warm up.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks swinger, what you said kinda makes sense. I recently had the PCIII installed and until I could get it properly tuned I installed the map from the website, then I got it tuned about 2 weeks later. And IIRC, thats about the time this all started. I'll call the dyno guy and see if he can sniff it out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Every bike I have owned has puffed a bit of white smoke on warm up. Its a normal thing in my mind. The temperature change creates condensation which burns off until the temp normalizes. I live in a northern climate and this is just a fact of life here. Nothing to worry about. Now that said if there is a trail of white smoke after the bike comes up to temp then this could be coolant being turned to steam in the combustion chamber. If this were the case you would smell it big time!

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts