Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've been having an issue on my 2013 M696 after my timing belts(140/165hz) were replaced at the Ducati dealer. At around 3000-4000 rpms there is a whirring sound like a supercharger. Re-did the tension to 110hz and the sound is still there. Here is a link to the sound that someone else posted for their M695 but is the exact same problem I'm facing. Do I need to worry or is this something that is normal after a new belt change?
https://youtu.be/-Nnhm6NX_y0

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just had this problem fixed while i had a belt service completed on my 09 696. Its caused by worn out bearings on your cam belt tensioners. Have them replaced and your noise will be eliminated. The paets cost appx 64$ ea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone else confirm which cam belt tensioner? The fixed ones or the movable ones or both?

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are 2 adjustable and 2 fixed belt rollers. After removing all the parts necessary to access the belts, you would of course change both the fixed and adjustable rollers. Like i stated before, these parts are not that expensive so change all 4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are 2 adjustable and 2 fixed belt rollers. After removing all the parts necessary to access the belts, you would of course change both the fixed and adjustable rollers. Like i stated before, these parts are not that expensive so change all 4
Thank you again! xD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had exactly this same sound, and just like yours, while rpms coming down.
Changed every thing, with original parts, same sound, so f##$ it. Rode all summer no problems.
Just part of the charm i guess..

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You can buy the tensioner bearings at any bearing or industrial supply store for under $10 each . Buy good bearings. The bearing number is on the side of the race, etched very tiny. I paid $6 each on eBay for SKF.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had exactly this same sound, and just like yours, while rpms coming down.
Changed every thing, with original parts, same sound, so f##$ it. Rode all summer no problems.
Just part of the charm i guess..

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
Hello mate, having the same sound, all 4 tensioners were changed and new belts set at around 100 Hz, same noise. Have you got any problems by now?
Here is my sound

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I've been having an issue on my 2013 M696 after my timing belts(140/165hz) were replaced at the Ducati dealer. At around 3000-4000 rpms there is a whirring sound like a supercharger. Re-did the tension to 110hz and the sound is still there. Here is a link to the sound that someone else posted for their M695 but is the exact same problem I'm facing. Do I need to worry or is this something that is normal after a new belt change?
HI mate, have you resolved this issue?
Having the same sound

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HI mate, have you resolved this issue?
Having the same sound
I changed the movable tensioners and re-tightened the belts to 108Hz. Rode it a few thousand kilometers and its all good. Still hear the sound slightly though, abit more when the engine is very hot. I have heard that exact sound on brand new bikes as well so I guess its normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is on mine as well.
Changed original bearings twice, no change. To little and not heat resistant grease in, the bearings i think.
My 2cnts.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I took mine to the dealer. They said it wasn’t a warranty issue, and I couldn’t come back until I take the playing cards out of my spokes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So guys, in conclusion, these ducati belts are kinda acoustical and if you have not tensioned them beyond 140 Hz like ducati recommends, nothing to worry about

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
From reading about this for a while, I think some belts whir more than others, some bikes whir more than others, and adjusting the tension can have an effect on how noisy the belts are. Additionally, different brands prefer different tension settings. I think ear plugs may be the best answer.😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I’ve over tightened my belts. I replaced and adjusted them and then the whirring started, never noticed it before?
I did a 10 mile shakedown and then rechecked the belts and there’s a few frayed edges on the horizontal belt.
Is that belt ruined now or is it normal to get a few strands?
The belt is a California Cycles Works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I’ve over tightened my belts. I replaced and adjusted them and then the whirring started, never noticed it before?
I did a 10 mile shakedown and then rechecked the belts and there’s a few frayed edges on the horizontal belt.
Is that belt ruined now or is it normal to get a few strands?
The belt is a California Cycles Works.
A few strands shouldn't be a problem but won't be able say without having a look at it. Pictures would be helpful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts