Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i am new here the first round is on me. ;D

i am glad i found your site, it is full of very valuable information but i have a question that i have been unable to locate in past threads.

I have fallen head over heels for the Monster S4R in the blue and white paint. My problem lies with the 749, for close to the same price i can get the superbike. I only get to do 3-4 trackdays a year and spend the rest of my time on the backroads. (twisties)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Can you keep the GSXR as a dedicated track tool and have the S4R for your twisties?

The powerband on the 600 will be useable on the track where you can wring the p!ss out of it and the Monster will be hella fun on public roads!

Why choose? (rhetorical question, coming from me)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$$$$$$$
:'(

Unfortunately it has to be one or the other.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The Monster S4R is a better all around bike than the 749. It also has a little fatter powerband. The 749 is probably going to be a bit faster on the racetrack. You can always put clipons on the Monster to improve feedback and they can be raised a little for improved ground clearance.

I predict that you would have more fun on the Monster whether or not it is faster than a 749.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Let's see... 3 to 4 track-days versus 360 twisty, back-road days?

I think you'll like blue and white.
depends on how often you can get out in the twisties... upside on track days is no sand in the corners, no animals running in front of you and no oncoming cars, in addition to the cattle guards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get out around two or three times a week for short rides, 75-100 miles. I live in Kentucky so the riding season is late March/April through October/early November.

It has really become a tough decision. ???

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I guess that I'll be the naysayer... If I were just sport riding for the majority of the time that I was on the bike, I'd seriously consider the 749.

Although I haven't had the privledge or being on a S4R, I like the handing and riding charictaristics of the xx9 series better than any other Ducati I've ridden (none of the various Monsters that I've ridden over the years come close). The 749 is a much more comfortable bike than its predecessor, and in fact a little more relaxed than my Monster with clip-ons and rearsets (and I wouldn't give them up for the sake of comfort either).

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, I just don't think it's fair to say that "The Monster S4R is a better all around bike than the 749", that's just not true... The Monster may have some features that make it more practical for "everyday riding situations", but technologically speaking, the 749 is a generation ahead and it feels like it from the seat. Like nearly everything, it's a trade-off.

The one place that the Monster steps ahead is that it's probably a little better suited for doing some touring on, but if that was on my list of things to consider, I'd probably throw the Multistada into the mix.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
greetings. i won't try to sell myself as an expert rider, but
i'll offer my 2 cents. i couldn't live with my 851 as an
only bike. waaay too uncomfortable for every day, and
i was forced by experience (interrupted a developing speed
wobble) to install a steering damper. even so, the steering
is kinda 'heavy', maybe due to the stubby clip-ons. the
S4R handles very sharply, perhaps because of the wide
bars. the only speed wobble is rider-induced. the ergonomics
are more relaxed ... particularly in the leg area, but not as much as you might think (i guess that also depends on height .... i'm 5 ft. 10 in.) i am forced to be very attentive when switching between the two. i guess the point is that if i were forced
to choose, it would have to be the S4R. with a good pilot, that thing would be hard to beat on a back road. i'm told that its also
a pretty good track tool as long as you're not looking for top
speed (it was suggested that streets of willows would be
a great track for the S4R).

R

·
0 Posts
Everything Fillmore said, plus:

You can overcome the Monsters inherant set up, ground clearance, etc., but it costs money, and still will never be a SBK.
If you like the GSXR then I would guess you would be much happier aboard the 749. If you want to hang with your buddies on their inline 600's then check out the 749s, not the '03 but the '04.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hanging with "buddies" is out of the question, i tend to ride alone or with my other half, her on an R6 and me on the above. I am really out to find the best all around bike that will be fun on both the track and on the road. She "lets" me ride however i want on the track so that i won't ride like an idiot on the street. If i could afford it i would have a track bike and a street bike but that is out of the question for now. I can not ride my 600 to anywhere near its limits, i love riding it but I would like something that is fun off of the track, as well as on it. The 600 has lost its appeal to me off the track. Do you feel that the 749, 03 or 04 would satisfy what i am looking for. I do not need the top of the line 749/999, both bikes are much more capable than i am.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Buy the s4r. I bought a blue one. It rips. Besides, if you want character just look at it. 8) I couldnt say no. ;D

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
You're gonna have a tough time getting an unbiased answer from a bunch of Monster Freaks.

I had a both a 900SS (thats as close as i got to a superbike) and a Monster 900 for awhile.
There were things that both of them did better than the other...but when it came time to pick just one, it had to be the Monster. It's just more fun.

S

·
0 Posts
Hey, Amp. I would go with the monster. I had/still have a 900ss before I got my M900s. Both of my bikes were used and I started riding in 01. I always loved the character of the monster, but at the time of my purchase, an SS with some goodies was a better deal. I got the 2000ss with 6000 miles and dumped 12,000 on it within the first year and a half. Can't you tell I had fun on a Duc? I came across a monster with everything I would have done and more. Picked it up and am just having a blast! It doesn't feel like a lot of "work" to just jump on and go here and there. My SS is pretty much for the track now. Monsters are more than capable of handling the twisties and the track. It's a great all around bike. The S4R will kick arse even more!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I get out around two or three times a week for short rides, 75-100 miles. I live in Kentucky so the riding season is late March/April through October/early November.

It has really become a tough decision. ???
Where do you live in KY?

R

·
0 Posts
Hanging with "buddies" is out of the question, i tend to ride alone or with my other half, her on an R6 and me on the above. I am really out to find the best all around bike that will be fun on both the track and on the road. She "lets" me ride however i want on the track so that i won't ride like an idiot on the street. If i could afford it i would have a track bike and a street bike but that is out of the question for now. I can not ride my 600 to anywhere near its limits, i love riding it but I would like something that is fun off of the track, as well as on it. The 600 has lost its appeal to me off the track. Do you feel that the 749, 03 or 04 would satisfy what i am looking for. I do not need the top of the line 749/999, both bikes are much more capable than i am.
I can't really say what would satisfy you.
And I am not sure what you mean when you say the 600 has lost it's appeal? Both bikes are great but are very different animals.
So different that I would suggest finding a way to ride them first. They ain't cheap, and neither would be cheap to crash on the track. The ride is different, the position is different, the focus is different, and the engine characteristics are different. Even the smile is different.

R

·
0 Posts
I guess that I'll be the naysayer... If I were just sport riding for the majority of the time that I was on the bike, I'd seriously consider the 749.

Although I haven't had the privledge or being on a S4R, I like the handing and riding charictaristics of the xx9 series better than any other Ducati I've ridden (none of the various Monsters that I've ridden over the years come close). The 749 is a much more comfortable bike than its predecessor, and in fact a little more relaxed than my Monster with clip-ons and rearsets (and I wouldn't give them up for the sake of comfort either).

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, I just don't think it's fair to say that "The Monster S4R is a better all around bike than the 749", that's just not true... The Monster may have some features that make it more practical for "everyday riding situations", but technologically speaking, the 749 is a generation ahead and it feels like it from the seat. Like nearly everything, it's a trade-off.

The one place that the Monster steps ahead is that it's probably a little better suited for doing some touring on, but if that was on my list of things to consider, I'd probably throw the Multistada into the mix.

--Fillmore
I agree with Filmore. But to add a few more things. If you lived in a city and commuted in city type traffic on the bike I would push to the S4R. I have one. I love it. But you sound like all you're going to do is track or back road twisties. Get the 749. The brakes alone will blow you away. It sounds like it will suit your riding style better.
I am a washed up track guy who likes riding 5/10ths now on the street and wheelieing alot. The S4R is perfect for me. I still plan to do track days on it. But as soon I as I get enough cash for a track bike, I will get a track specific bike. I was leaning towards and R6, but I may just get a used Monster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't really say what would satisfy you.
And I am not sure what you mean when you say the 600 has lost it's appeal? Both bikes are great but are very different animals.
So different that I would suggest finding a way to ride them first. They ain't cheap, and neither would be cheap to crash on the track. The ride is different, the position is different, the focus is different, and the engine characteristics are different. Even the smile is different.
What i mean by it has lost its appeal is that i do not have that overwhelming sense of urgency to get home from work and jump on my bike. It does not call to me, unless i am packing up for a trackday. It brings a smile to my face but the ergonomics and knowing that riding on the street does not come anywhere close to what it is able to do. Honestly the track has spoiled me. I look forward to the few times a year i get to do trackdays more than i do the weekend rides, like i used to. I am looking for fun factor.
Thanks for all the responses from everyone. I am leaning towards the monster and maybe find an old bike to put together for the track. If life was perfect i would be able to have both.

Maybe i can talk the Ducati dealer into a test ride on both the 749 and the S4R and decide from there. Unfortunately i don't think they offer test rides. But it is worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts