Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've followed most of the steering damper threads, but I'm still not sure which dampers will fit an s4R. If you're an s4r owner with a damper could you please post which one you have, ease of install and how you like it ?

Thanks !

S

·
0 Posts
i don't think you'd have any fitment issues using a damper marketed toward other monsters.
frame tubing's the same diameter as are the fork legs.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
i don't think you'd have any fitment issues using a damper marketed toward other monsters.
frame tubing's the same diameter as are the fork legs.
Not neccesarily true... For instance, the steering damper on my M750 wouldn't work on any S4 because the radiator is in the way. Some above the clamp dampers also may have issues with cast-in bar clamps.

--Fillmore

S

·
0 Posts
fillmore, is yours an under-head damper? if so, it would conflict with the radiator? never took that close a look... thanks for pointing it out if this is the case.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i put an Ohlins damper on my S4R. it mounts in the
old-school racer position on the left side between the
fork tube and one of the frame tubes. one caveat is
that the upper triple clamp needs to come off in order to
mount the clamp which secures to the fork leg.
i kinda like the way it looks, and there is the 'wow'
factor of Ohlins. placement is kinda finicky as it tends
to hit the headlight in full-left-lock if you're not careful.
a little expensive too .... around $400 if i recall.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
fillmore, is yours an under-head damper? if so, it would conflict with the radiator? never took that close a look... thanks for pointing it out if this is the case.
Yep. It's an Extreme Tech damper and it goes from the lower clamp on the right fork leg to the voltage regulator mount on the left side of the frame. It's basically a transverse mount damper that mounts below the lower clamp and runs across the frame right where the radiator is on a S4.

Arrows and some DP's mount in a similar fashion.

--Fillmore

S

·
0 Posts
We have side mounting damper that will work for around $265 then we have a top mounting version by Matris for around $480. If you want me details email me directly and I'll sort some photo's out.

Stuart
www.spareshack.com

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
The DP catalog online show one. My dealer quoted me $750. It mount transverse above the triple using the handlebar clamps and a piece you add around the ignition switch. Twobros.com has the Matris style also. It appears to mount the same way.

O

·
0 Posts
i have the ohlins on my S4 and there are no problems with the fit , nothing hitting on each other . here's a picture. i paid like 300$ from cyclemall on ebay.

S

·
0 Posts
oneducs, have you thought of flipping the damper so that you could reach the adjustment knob while riding?

O

·
0 Posts
( flipping the damper so that you could reach the adjustment knob )

no that would not work , not the way the brackets are you would need too make new ones

1 - 12 of 12 Posts