Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

What do you recommend for a aftermarket rear shock/spring? Ohlins? Penske?

I ride a 01 Monster S4, and after 31,000 miles the rear suspension is shot. The spring is at maximum tightness (which isn't holding anything up anymore), and as I am using more compression to compensate, the shock itself is also on it's last leg.

Given this oppportunity, I'd like to sharpen up the suspension a bit. Basically I need to know the best way to go about doing this. I've already searched a few websites and plan on asking around at a few dealerships this upcoming weekend. However, if you guys have any suggestions (links to sites, etc) on where to look, give me a holler. Also I'd like to know what you all did for your bikes, as I can learn from your experiences, I'm sure.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Nice job putting on 31,000 miles already [smiley=waytogo.gif]
I have a RaceTech rebuilt rear shock on my SS that worked well.
Im pretty sure the most common aftermarket rear shock is Ohlins. Penske's are supposed to be the bomb, but they are $$$.
Also check Fox for a less expensive alternative, and also FG

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
The Ohlins commonly sold for Monsters lack fast-compression adjustment. At that price point (~$650) they are comparable to the two way Penske. The fast-compression adjustment feature is found on shocks costing above $900. Fox twin clicker can usually be found for ~$550 and is rated only slightly below Ohlins with the same features. None are common on eBay: there was a Fox twin clicker for Monster last week going for $375, but getting a used one may require getting a matching spring separately. New springs go for ~$100, and finding the right one on eBay, about $20-30, can take some time. When you buy a new shock, it comes with a spring to match your weight and riding style.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Very interesting. Now that I have the RaceTech and GoldValve rebuild adjustable Showa forks, I'm painfully aware of the limitation of my stock Sachs:Boge shock (with only 12k miles).

I'm most bothered by the harsh response to high frequency inputs. i.e. the fast compression. It doesn't compress fast :(

So this input is particularly relevant to my upgrade plans. thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sivan,
is "fast compression adjustment" the same as the compression adjustment screw on my stock sachs? The stocker has rebound, compression, and preload, so I'd be looking for something with as much selection or more. The shock doesn't have to be a "top of the line" brand, but I am looking for something slightly better than the stock unit. In my experience the stocker served me well, even on crazy-nutter triple-digit rides, but I'd love to sharpen up my handling anyway anyhow (for those few battle trax events and such).

Also, I've priced an ohlins for the monster S4, and it runs around $700. The spring comes with it, but I didn't see a list of spring rates or specifications. How do I specify? I don't suppose it's as simple as them asking me at the time of purchase, is it? I prolly won't want a used shock, so ebay is out of the question. . . just don't want something that has a ton of miles on it, leaks, or has a worn out spring. Had some bad experiences with ebay, so. . .

Thanks for the replies, yall. Keep em coming!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too many people over adjust shocks and forks, when they really need to just buy the correct spring for their weight. It would be nice if you bought a bike and got the correct springs to your weight.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yo Dennis,

I know what you mean. The stocker spring was way to soft for my girth. I was always having to wind it up for more ride height/ stiffness. So I'm searching for the right combo this time around.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
AFAIK, the Penske is the only shock available with high and low speed compression damping.

Everybody seems to be pretty happy with the Ohlins, it seems to be a significant step up from the stock Sachs on the S4.

I recall one poster here that has a Penske, maybe he'll post here?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
is "fast compression adjustment" the same as the compression adjustment screw on my stock sachs? The stocker has rebound, compression, and preload, so I'd be looking for something with as much selection or more.
The Sachs has slow-compression adjustment. This doesn't mean it doesn't respond to fast compression (as a series of pot holes), only that this particular aspect is non-adjustable.

The shock doesn't have to be a "top of the line" brand, but I am looking for something slightly better than the stock unit. In my experience the stocker served me well, even on crazy-nutter triple-digit rides, but I'd love to sharpen up my handling anyway anyhow (for those few battle trax events and such).
The Fox Twin Clicker has a good reputation and is cheaper. The standard Ohlins you find for the Monster is somewhat better and pricier, as well as the two-way Penske. From what I heard the mid-range shocks sold for Monsters satisfy most riders who don't race.

Also, I've priced an ohlins for the monster S4, and it runs around $700. The spring comes with it, but I didn't see a list of spring rates or specifications. How do I specify?
Every vendor I've seen will want to know your weight (some want your body weight, some rider weight with full gear), and most will also ask about your riding style and ship the shock already set with the right spring, and possibly some internal work if your situation is unusual.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have bought and used both Ohlins and Penske rear shocks. I think you get a little more technology from Penske for the money you spend. Your best source for Penske is http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/index.html
I understand there is a new shock from Ohlins where they have started using alloy bodies and stuff like the Penske shock go to MotoWheels for more info.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read somewhere Ohlins will also be offering Electronically Controlled shocks in '04.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I read somewhere Ohlins will also be offering Electronically Controlled shocks in '04.
I read the same. It's still a ways behind car technology. It's great to be able to tune the shock with a dash-mounted control panel, but it's still not a road-sensing setup. i.e. it's not dynamic electronic control.

Don't know that I want it, but that's where the technology is headed.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the imput, especially the links.

I think I'm gonna go with the fox twin clicker, since I don't forsee allot of track days in the near future (location + money restrictions). I'd suppose it'd be alright for that sort of thing as long as it's not hot and heavy competition. . .

Secondly, do you guys recommend getting the forks revalved, etc? I don't think mine are worn out yet and i'm wondering how they'll work in conjunction with the new shock ???Think I should splurge and get the whole shi-bang?

Thanks again fellas, yall have been so helpful! :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are going to work to improve the suspension I would not neglect
doing both front and rear.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I see two options available on the WP site. you got the 3-clicker, right? how much did you pay for it from them? It looks like it's gonna be a toss-up between them and a penske 2-clicker, which I've already had and liked a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts