Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an appreciable difference between the performance of an 888 based monster vs the ST based Monster? Does the 02+ monster's rear suspension work "better" than the older shock hoop system?

Anyone have/ride both and could tell a difference?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It should be about the same on the Monsters. It has more to do with the type of shock absorber and spring than the way they're hooked up.

As for the original 888 and ST, the 888 has an Ohlins rear shock and is definitely better than the ST rear shock. At least that's my experience since I own one of each.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I've watched a couple of riders, one a regular Advanced Group guy on an old type 750 and the other an instructor on the newer type frame 750. Both are faster than most liter bikes on tighter tracks and generally run with the "motard trains" . The instructor type was getting faster lap times at Talledega GP than he was on his 999. These two guys run about eqaul to each other on the Monsters, so I figure there is no significance difference in the frame types. Any real differences won't show up until you are running into what would be qualifying times to make the cut in AMA or Expert level races.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The newer frames are stiffer, but 10 lbs heavier. The hoop style suspension provides a more ridgid swingarm via it's 3 point support. How any of this translates into 'faster, safer, etc.", is open to debate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts