Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manual states 10w40, my dealer says 15w50 and there is a range that is allowable depending on temp. So what do others run? I plan on using royal purple's max cycle in 10w40 or 20w50. thanks

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm usually using 15 50 motul in the 900....seems to work.... tho a 620 might have a different logic

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your dealer is right.....considering the desmo valves and the route to the top end, I think a high shear synthetic 15w50 would be a better choice then a 10w40.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20w50 it gets hot in the summer and not that cold in the winter

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am running 20W50 only because that is what it says under my seat on the silver sticker.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Amsoil 20w50 here

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
15W50 mobil 1 here, and i will switch to 20w50 when it gets hot. funny how the sticker on my bike says 20W50, but the manual says 10W40 ??? anyhoo, there is a weight/temp chart in your owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
tb27272,
I run 15W-50 in my '03 620. Have used different oils, but am currently using MOTUL 300V 100% synthetic. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than an engine! Check with your dealer about the Royal Purple oil, though. One of the service guys at my dealer says Ducati won't honor the warranty if you use Royal Purple. I don't know whether he's blowing smoke or not, but I wasn't going to take the chance. There's plenty of discussion on the board about motorcycle vs. car oil, synthetic vs. dino, etc. Do a search and see what pops up. I think I'm going to try Mobil 1 15W-50 car oil next time and see how it does.

Eddie

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ducati cannot void a warranty because of the use of Royal Purple's Mac Cycle. They meet or exceed API and JASO specifications. I forgot which law it is but, they cannot specify oil brand beyond requiring the above mentioned standards. If a manufactor states you have to use their product they have to provide it free of charge and you know that DNA is not going to be giving anything away.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why switch? No real difference between 15W50 and 20W50, particularly for ambient termperature. The 20W50 isn't going to crank any harder than the 15W at a lower temperature and they're both the same at engine temps.

15W50 mobil 1 here, and i will switch to 20w50 when it gets hot.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So now that we have the weight figures out, is there any reason to change the oil more frequently than specified by Ducati? The guys at Royal Purple stated that it was a waste of money to change the oil more frequently than 6000 miles. They stated that actully that was about half the expectency of their oil.

·
Registered
287 Posts
2 words for you...

AGIP!

Cost ahellofalot, but I love that 6-legged dragon!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would recommend running a dino oil or a motorcycle specific oil if you have a wet clutch. Some automotive synthetics have been known to do damage to the clutch lining and not allow it to act as designed. Clutch chatter and slippage can be a side affect of it. Automotive oils have a lot of friction modifiers in them to help increase gas mileage in newer cars. Motorcycle oils are designed for slightly different parameters, including being used with wet clutches.

The best information that comes from the multitude of oil tests that have been done basically say it does not matter what oil you use, just change it and the filter frequently.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts