Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with Ohlins and the S2R?

I have contacted several sponsors about an Ohlins rear to fit an S2R and they all come back with the same answer. The only shock Ohlins makes (lists anyway) for the S2R is the cheapo 46DR with rebound adjustment only. Has anyone put anything else on a S2R? I can see that a piggy back reservoir could be trouble, but it seems to me that one of the models with two remote reservoirs would work. For some reason Ohlins is not recommending anything. ???

Anyone know which Ohlins rear is shown in this thread? --- http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php/topic,27862.0.html

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
that would be the DU333, nice isn't it. i want one for my s4r too.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that would be the DU333
Thanks,

Is that an old model or something? Ohlins doesn't even list it on their website. In fact they don't even have a "u" in their codes. They recommend a 46HRCS (hose reservoir, rebound, compression, remote hydraulic preload) for the S4R but not on the S2R. I presume they have a reason...

CalSportbike was the only vendor I found that listed anything other than the 46DR. I called them and they in turn called Ohlins to verify and were told that the 46DR was it for the S2R.

The DU333 should work just fine
Do you have first hand experience? I'm a little hesitant to plop down 800 - 1,200 bucks based on a "should" statement. [laugh]

That's an old thread that someone dredged up but I'll try PM to the OP and see what he has to say...

I'm getting the same kind of vagueness from Penske and Elka doesn't make anything that will fit... yet.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
the 46HRCS part is the type of shock and options.

the du333 is the model specific application.

if you look up the shock for the s4r (same chassis), you'll get the 46xxxx number and the du333 number.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Don't ask why but I just happen to have a Japanese Ohlins 2005-2006 catalogue next to the computer.

It lists a

S2R MY2005 Part No: DU333 Type: 46HRCS

Looking on Ohlins website it lists a DU321 however

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
mihama01 said:
Don't ask why but I just happen to have a Japanese Ohlins 2005-2006 catalogue next to the computer.

It lists a

S2R MY2005 Part No: DU333 Type: 46HRCS

Looking on Ohlins website it lists a DU321 however
du321 is the basic 46dr shock w/ no remote preload adjuster or remote reservoir.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called the tech department at Ohlins in North Carolina and they told me the same thing. The ONLY shock available for the S2R is the 46DR (or DU321)

I debated him on the issue asking him why a 46HCRS would not work and he basically passed the buck saying:

"You'll have to talk to Ducati. This is what Ducati spec'd for us so that's what we offer. There must be some fitment issue with the S2R..."

if you look up the shock for the s4r (same chassis),...
O.k. now I get it.

I agree with you derby, it seems like the S4R shock should work, but I really don't get why Ohlins is unwilling to recommend it for the S2R. You'd think they would rather sell a higher priced shock if possible.

There must be someone out there who actually has a du333 on a S2R?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
O.k. one step closer. I talked with BCM and they also thought the du333 "should" work since the applicable part #s between the S2R and S4R are the same.

Makes sense to me but still looking for someone who has a du333 mounted up on a S2R 800.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Desmo Elmer said:
O.k. one step closer. I talked with BCM and they also thought the du333 "should" work since the applicable part #s between the S2R and S4R are the same.

Makes sense to me but still looking for someone who has a du333 mounted up on a S2R 800.
don't overthink it. it'll fit.

there are a few guys on the board with ohlins mounted to s2r800 and s2r1000s.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K. Derby,

I'll quit thinkin. [laugh]

I spoke with Jason at Section 8 Superbike and he was also confident it would fit so I guess that's what I'll get.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
"Do you have first hand experience?"

I have one on my S4R. Same chassis.

I mounted the reservoir under the rear grab handle. The position that Ohlins recommends is the pits.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I put a Penske from Chris @ ca-cycleworks on my S2R.

I love it! It's comprised of mostly billet as opposed to cast (Ohlins) and individual parts are replaceable. Plus it looks the tits. :D Not a big fan of the gold look.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info everyone.

Hey F7,

I was originally set on the Penske but got intrigued by this Ohlins mystery. I guess it still remains a mystery at Ohlins but at least the board members know their stuff.

Is that the double adjuster Penske or did you go for the whole nine yards triple adjuster? Do you happen to know a model #?

I don't find it listed on Chris's website.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm pretty sure Chris sells Penske shocks. If it's not listed on his site shoot him a PM or an email. He had bought this one for his S2R but never got around to installing it.

As for the model #'s, as explained by Chris: 'They (Penske) don't have "exact model numbers". It was commissioned to fit the S4R monsters and has the 6 position compression adjuster (which they call 8981 regardless of the bike). They call all the motorcycle shocks "8900 motorcycle shocks".

6 position compression adjuster
remote reservoir
34 click rebound
length adjustable

The thing is super adjustable. 2 knobs on the remote reservoir plus the adjustments on the shock itself.

Here's a link to the thread where Chris was selling it: http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php/topic,39083.0.html

Definately shoot him a PM if for nothing else just to ask his advice on Penske/Ohlins comparisons since AFAIK he sells both and has used both extensively.

Good luck!
-Dan

·
Registered
501 Posts
I fought the same fight last February. No one would tell me that a 46HRCS would work and I didn't want the "cheap" ohlins 46DR. Dealer didn't want to order the HRCS with out an ok from Ohlins. I finally went with the 46DR. 90% of what I needed was a stiffer spring.

Honestly, the ohlins 46DR is way better than the stock sachs even without compression adjustment. Sprung for my weight it is both stiffer and more plush. Much better rear traction over bumps. I don't have a track close so I set sag and rebound and leave it alone. I needed better valving and spring rate but I don't need convienient adjustability.

At $629, I think it was a good buy. Not so much bling factor, though. [cheeky]

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's good info Cromo... glad I'm not the only one who was on a wild goose chase.

I figger as long as I'm blowing $600+ I might as well blow $750+

I think I can get a double adjuster Penske for 750 - 800 and I will be a happy boy [laugh]

The one that really looks interesting is the Elka, but I called them and they definitely do not have anything for the S2R just yet. The guy I talked to seemd to think it wouldn't be too long before they came up with something...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts