Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Which mountain should the DML NYMMC ski trip attend?

• Hunter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belleayre

• Camelback

• Killington

• Mt. Snow

• Other (please elaborate)

• Windham

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to vote Hunter because I don't mind the mountain (for a day trip) and it's easy for everyone to get to (I think). Vote away people, then we'll figure out when we're going to go. ;)

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Sorry EvilSteve, I know you're right by Hunter, but I've been there more than my fair share of times and don't like it very much.  So, my vote is "anything but Hunter".  Of course, if push came to shove I'd go there but complain the whole time.  ;)

Vermont seems a bit far for a day trip, I'd rather do a long weekend if travelling that far (Jay is waaaaay up there, eRacer -- but I'm sure it's good).  Never been to Camelback but heard good things, Belleayre is nice, also been on good day trips to Gore, Brodie (closed, unfortunately), Jiminy Peak, and Windham.  Any of those could be nice.  Vernon, no way unless it's the middle of the week and the kids are in school.  They do know how to build a park though.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with Vermont is that, as Kevin said, it's way the hell up there and we'd need to do a long weekend to make it worthwhile. It also gets hella cold up there (40 below much), the mountain turns into an ice rink and there's too many traverses. I don't think I could bring myself to go there again. I haven't tried any of the other mountains so I'd be up for trying some of the other local ones. I've spent a fair bit of time in Cali snowboarding too, and Utah, and Heavenly, and BC so I like big mountains but I think (unless everyone disagrees of course) that we're talking about a day trip to a local mountain that everyone can make. From there, the serious people can get together and plan a more hardcore trip to Jay or Stowe or Hood or whatever. ;) What do you guys think?

I mean Killington btw, not all of the Vermont mountains... :-[

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
mt snow is my vote. while it's about 3-3.5 hours away, it's as good as you can get before the drive becomes a bit much. but i'll do whatever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
another mountain to consider is Catamount, I go there quite a lot. it's 2 hrs from NY and less busy than windham or hunter

http://www.catamountski.com/

ERTICAL DESCENT: 1000'

LONGEST RUN: Ridge Run to Upper and Lower Promenade - 2.5 miles, the longest run in the Berkshires!

TERRAIN: 32 trails and park areas - more than 119 skiable acres!

Green Circle: 10 trails, including THE MEADOWS learning area - 40% of total terrain - the MOST in the Berkshires!

Blue Square: 11 trails - including the longest run in the Berkshires - 30% of total terrain.

Black Diamond/Double Black diamond: 11 trails and terrain features, including the half pipe, the Terrain Park and Catapult - the steepest run in the Berkshires - 30%f total terrain.

LIFTS:

6 lifts in all:
1 Triple Chairlift (NEW!)
3 Double Chairlifts
1 Wonder Carpet (beginner area)
1 Handle Tow

SNOWMAKING: Covers 98% of trails

NIGHT SKIING: 15 trails and terrain features, including the half pipe and The Park - more than 4 miles in all!

GROOMING:

4 Snow Groomers
1 Winch Cat
Pipe Dragon

HOURS OF OPERATION:

Note: Hours of operation are subject to change due to weather and snow conditions. Please click here for the current mountain report.

Daytime sessions:

Monday - Friday, non-holiday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Weekends/Holidays 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Twilight Sessions:

Weds. - Thurs. 3:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Fri. - Sat. 3:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Night Sessions:

Weds. - Thurs. 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Fri. - Sat. 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

G

·
I will go to Hunter Mountain... only if the DML crew wears Starter Jackets and Jeans while riding. We wouldn't want to stick out from the crowd. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
moto_bella said:
I will go to Hunter Mountain... only if the DML crew wears Starter Jackets and Jeans while riding. We wouldn't want to stick out from the crowd. [laugh]
Nice... if we can snowplow down belt parkway the whole day too, I'm in! [clap]

I've held a season pass to Catamount the past two seasons, but it's gotten too busy for my taste. Plus, the park was better before they moved it away from the pipe. Glad they finally replaced one of their lifts though, the lines were getting atrocious.

Evilsteve, one of my problems with Killington is the difficulty of navigating to and from the various areas of the mountain, so I hear you on the traverse thing. Some good terrain, but requires a bit of work and more than a day or two to really enjoy. Okemo is a really fun, balanced mountain that's more friendly for riding. I've gotten some good early/late season deals on ski/stay at Stratton too.

Weather is always a roll of the dice, but I'm happy if I get out no matter what, even rain.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does everyone say to Windham then?

I've changed my vote to Windham (I added it), if we can get some votes going here we can sort out a date and start planning. What do you say guys?

(You can change your vote by clicking "Remove Vote" and then selecting whichever)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.