Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??? Hello I'm new to the motorcycle world and I will be purchasing a bike soon. The Monster is number 1 on my list but the only dealers are 2.5 hrs. away. Is the Monster expensive to maintain and dependable enough to warrant such a drive? How often do they need servicing? As a beginner,which is a better bike for a 30 year old level headed guy the 620 or 800 ???

H

·
0 Posts
I think all the bikes are reliable enough, but the maintenance costs are higher on the Ducati bikes. Mostly the 6 and 12K mile intervals.

As for which one is right for you, I'd say get what fits you bank account. If you can afford the 800, get it. You won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Jeez Herb is there any post you don't get involved with? :p

IMHO - which you can take for what you think it is worth the 620 is the "perfect" bike. It weighs less, is shorter, and has more than enough get-up-and-go. When I bought mine the sales manager kept telling me I should get the 900 or at least the 750 because in 6 months to a year I would out grow the 620 and want a bigger bike. Nope, didn't happen. Besides the 620 is less expensive up front to purchase, and you'll probably find it will be less expensive to insure as well.

Of course I'm not trying to keep up with my buddies on their 996s, 999s, and freakin huge ass engine Japanese imports either. They can go at my pace or I can meet them at the stop point. So if you're going to feel like you gotta keep up with the pack then perhaps the 800 would be a better choice.

I love the way she leans, runs, and looks and we get along great . . . what else could a guy ask for?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
As we usually recommend to all beginners, you're probably better off getting a used bike initially so that you don't feel so bad when you drop it. If you really have to have a new one, both the Monster 620 and 800 are great choices.

Service intervals used to be at 600 miles, 6000 miles, 12,000 miles, 18,000 miles and so on, with oil changes in between at 3000, 9000, and so on. They may have changed slightly since I got mine. It's easy to do your own oil change with a Monster.

Get a Monster. You'll love it.

S

·
0 Posts
If you decide to buy new (or used), check out deals on the 750S if your dealer has them.

S

·
0 Posts
The 620 and the 800 are great bikes so I go with Herb, if your bank account agrees with you, buy the 800. I have the M600, it is slow and underpowered, but I will always have my M600. You get emotionally attached to the Monsters, it is not just a bike. So perhaps the most important thing is, follow your heart.

One thing you could consider is buying the M620 and spend the rest of the money in Italy at the World Ducati Week. I have been there and it is definitely something every Ducati owner should do at least once.

The quality of the Ducati bikes are today up there with the best, so it should not cause you any problems.

As a born again biker I started with the Aprilia RS 125, after 2 years I bought the Monster. To day I see that I could easily have bought the Monster right away. Actually I am waiting for Ducati to get their design right so that I can buy a sports bike in addition to my Monster.

Some people here have had the unfortunate experience of dropping their bikes, and some of us are of the opinion that this can be avoided if you stay focused and handle the bike with care.

Welcome to our part of the world.

Slim

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
First of all, if you're "level headed", get the hell off this list!! But, assuming that was a lie, any of the 2V motors will be cheaper to maintain (& buy) than a 4V bike. In addition to that, a water cooler bike can never be a "real" monster.
Let your wallet be your guide, none of these bikes make enough power to be too much for beginning riders. My 1st choice would be a new(ish) 1000, followed by a used 900.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought that I was level headed too. Until I got my Monster. ;D Now I'm a hooligan. LOL I used to be content with puttering around on my Harleys. 8) But I can ride a beach cruiser when I'm retired.

Right now I'm chasing my buddy on his 929 and leaving him in the curves. The Monsters are not very fast. They are very light and flickable. Its a bicycle with a big motor. Be careful and learn slowly.

I really can't imagine what it would be like to be a brand new rider in today's traffic. I've been riding motorcycles of all kinds since I was a teenager. Just remember that 'level headed' or not. Cars don't see you. Never assume that they see you. Even if you make eye contact with a car's driver.

A Monster is a great choice of motorcycle. Well worth travelling 2.5 hours for. Very dependable and a lot of fun.

Ride Safe,
JJ

R

·
0 Posts
First of all, if you're "level headed", get the hell off this list!! But, assuming that was a lie, any of the 2V motors will be cheaper to maintain (& buy) than a 4V bike. In addition to that, a water cooler bike can never be a "real"

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I agree with Norm. None of the 2v Monsters makes too much power for a new rider. I would go for the biggest Monster you could afford. A used 1000 or a new 800 would be my choice.

I bought a 620 back in August. Every single person I spoke with said get a bigger bike because I will want more power within a year. And you know what? They were correct.

Overall I am still glad I got the 620. It is a great first bike. But I am looking for more power already.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts