Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing either a 2007 S2R 100 or a Speed 3 in March. I have read posts from this site and the TriumphRat site. There are very passionate people in both camps. But, what I need is someone that has had experience with both of these bikes and can recommend one over the other and tell why. Any help would be much appreciated. This is a bike that I will have for a while and want the best of the two.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
This question (and several like it) have been asked many times on this board. Try searching "speed triple" or "S3." :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I drove for 3 hours to pick up my s2r1000 just so i could compare it side by side with a s3. once there i did not even think of the s3, and bought the duc. dont know why, they both rock but me love my duc long time

best luck there is no bad choice here

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think its your passion I got a ducati and I love it thought about getting a speed 3 a nice white one just dont like the froggy eyes. I would advise go test driving both and see which one you like. A few things that I like about the speed 3 over the s2r 1000 is ride height is a lot higher than my s2r1000 and the fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons as compared to 3.6 gallons on the s2r 1000, which makes a difference when you stop on those long trips. Just my 2 cents.

-ghost

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
After riding both, I can say they are very different bikes other than price point and being naked.

Without going back to the spec sheets (who cares about spec sheets anyway) I did think the monster fealt lighter and more nimble, but I've also spoken with people who think the exact opposite so there you go.

Although everyone says the triple is a great cross between twin and four, I found it to be too much like a four.

Not difficult to get demo rides on either bike... why not ride them and come back to say which is the best FOR YOU and why.

In terms of motor performance, the s4r is the much better match, but you did say the the 3 grand price difference counts. And I personally think the s4rs is worth the 50% higher cost than the S3 because it at least 50% more bike.

·
0 Posts
Comparison of S4R and S3 (and Brutale and Tuono) at http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4023&Page=1

From the article's assessment of the S3:

"It's worst scores were for its mushy brakes, uncertain handling, mediocre fit and finish and an imprecise transmission. On the plus side is that mountain motor.

"Overall I think the Triumph is a great choice for the less aggressive rider on a tighter budget," BC compliments. "The motor is as good or better than anything in the test, but riding the Triumph to the motor's potential will be difficult with its chassis and brakes.""

The Triumph came in fourth out of four bikes tested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, I have test ridden an S4R ........... I loved it. I haven't had the chance to ride the S2R1000 yet or the S3. I'm planning on riding both before I buy one. But, I find short term experience with stuff doesn't always pan out in the long run. Who hasn't just had to have something and then found out after they had it a while, it wasn't what they initially though? I wanted to get info. from people that had experience with both bikes. As for the posting on the handling and running of the S3: I've read several articles in the past year, from major bike mags, that say the S3 will eat a Monster Alive ........... handling and power. So, I am CONFUSED on these issues now.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Having never ridden either bike I'd agree with what others have said, ride em both and then decide. I used to ride a Speed 4 so I'm both a Triumph fan and familiar Triumphrat site. I lost the S4 in a hurricane and replaced it with the S2R 800. Different bikes, each with their strengths and weaknesses.

Oh, I read your post over there too just for shits and giggles. I like to see people's brand loyalty come out. [laugh]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
;D I'm trying to get ALL the HONEST assessments I can get Coastie. So, everyone keep the info. coming, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
What's your riding experience?

I think monster has more character in motor and better handling, braking. S3 has more motor (but agin, see my comments earlier about type of power). If you'll be happy with 100 horse then monster. Do you like motors that thunder or scream?

As a long-term buy I think the monster lends itself to more and easier modification (lots of good aftermarket stuff) so you can make it truly yours.

Monster puts you in larger Ducati community which you may or may not care about. I think more organized and unofficial smaller group gatherings etc.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Agree with all the above. Three months ago I was asking myself the same question you are asking now. Rode both bikes....bought the S2R 1000. The S3 was less "predictable" in the corners than my Duc and the center of gravity seemed lower on the Duc = better road feel for me. I'm 6"3, 215 and the Duc just fit better.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
If looks counts for anything, I see the Monster as a clear winner. I can't stand the look of the Triumph (however i do like the Daytona 675) nor most other nakeds in my opinion. Everything but the Brutale looks like a cheap plasticky imitation.

I also like the naked BMW, but wouldn't consider it sporty by any means as it weighs in a buck more than my Monster easy.

So yes, back on point: Looks - I got interested in the monster to begin with because of looks, then I evaluated performance aspects. i love the braking capabilities and torquey response. All in all, I feel the complete package offered by Ducati in the Monster lineup is superior to the Triumph and it would be my choice.

May you choose the bike most appropriate to you and never regret it.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
which one has the closer service center.

I have a Duc and a service center 15 min away, so i can go check out parts, look at new parts, see other people bikes etc, etc

if i had a speed 3 it would be a 90mile drive for my services

that would suck balls. if i had to drive 1.5 hrous plus (through LA) for service

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
First off, if you have an ounce if Italian blood in your body and your still asking this question.... ,then buy the Triumph. People who buy Ducatis don't buy them for their dyno chart numbers, it is a passion for Italian engineering & design. A Harley guy once told me that buying a Harley is patriotic, buying a Ducati is like lusting for a women. If its dyno charts your looking at buy a Hayabusa or ZX-14. Either way you can't go wrong, but myself having a strong Italian heritage, it was a no brainer. good luck.... ;D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Test drove both late July last year.

First time on a duc, at low revs shook like a sportster. Smoothed out above 4k, was different from everything I've ever ridden. "Character", great handling, great brakes.

Decided I had to ride the s3 back to back. s3, explosive engine, torque and top end. Seating position sucked, and you were locked in. So it was going to always suck. Brakes, no comparison Ducs were head and shoulders above. Fit and finish were lacking behind the duc by far. On a delightful side note, the front end might as well not included a front tire, because it could stay in the air for the entire ride.

In the end, it was the sound, character and quality of build offerred by the duc that made the difference. Both were the same price.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
i'm surprised at how honest the advice has been. i don't see a lot of brand loyalty overshadowing objectivity here. i read the same article and it underscored my impressions of the Triumph. plus there's no comparison in styling. i don't own either bike yet, but i hope to buy a Ducati.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts