Discussion Starter #1
Cutting to the chase, will these forks (400SS):
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e34668623
fit this bike:

AND will the right-side fork here:
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b47681919
fit the left-side of the bike shown? --caliper mounting required--

Now the story leading up to the chase:
See the green arrow? That is where the plastic sheath of the steel braided brake hose wore down to the steel braid, which then wore a groove in the aluminium upper fork housing, until this morning fork oil leaked out through a tiny hole.
Is it possible to have the forks stripped down, welded, and rebuilt? If I buy a set of stock forks, and use the right-side fork on the left of the bike (I need caliper mounts on both sides), should I worry about them not being 'a pair'? Are either of the second hand forks I gave links to adjustable?

Julian

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The forks listed in the auction should fit the bike you have in the photo. You're going to run into major problems trying to use a right side fork on the left side. The brake and fender mounting holes will not line up. The Showa forks are not adjustable, but a good suspension shop can get them dialed in correctly for you. I had mine done at Aftershocks in Palo Alto, CA (http://www.aftershocks-suspension.com/) and they were excellent when I got them back.

You'll have to ask around to see if you can find someone who can repair your current fork leg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean that the 400SS forks will fit as well as the monster forks?

I don't understand why there's a problem using the right-side fork on the left, the things look pretty symmetrical to me. If anything I thought the problem would be with the fact that the front axle/spindle is different on each side, and I don't know if the bits can swap over. Looks like they could though.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Okay take a look at the holes for the axle on the bottom of these two fork legs (sorry for the really tall picture. Yeah, right!).

The large end of the axle fits into the larger opening on the right leg (on the left in this photo), and the threaded end of the axle fits into the threaded piece clamped in the left fork leg (on the right in this photo). You would have to either machine the axle or the fork leg to get a right side fork to work on the left, and you would have to shim that threaded piece to use one of those on a right leg.

Go ahead and try it if you really want. I'm just trying to point out some of the potential problems you'll run into.

[Photo may or may not appear depending on whether testastrette.net is currently up.]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks to me as if the bush with the thread in it would fit either side. But I suppose you're telling me different. They do only have the logo on one side though which makes them look sided.

In fact I just realised if you look at the ones in the advert, neither side has the bush:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
if you're looking to modify the forks but aren't sure about matching them, maybe try switching the internals on the adjustable ones into the sleeves of the ones you're using now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the helpn and advice, but I just picked up a very clean set of '99 forks for $100. Problem solved, what luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts