Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to take the motorcycle safety course on the 29th and i still don't have gloves or boots yet. what do you guys recommend for under $300 (for both)?

i would definetly prefer to get boots that have ankle protection.

As of now i have:
silver arai quantum helmet
hjc black leather pants http://www.newenough.com/hjc_sport_pant_page.htm
zero-60 roadking leather jacket http://www.zero60.com/leather.html

People at work who ride say i'm going overboard on my gear but i like to play it safe.

Thanks for the help!
:)

·
Banned
551 Posts
People at work who ride wear leather vests or t-shirts and flip flops right?

Maybe I am exaggerating. You aren't going overboard though.

For gloves and boots, there are alot of good sites out there to check stuff out on for pricing and have quick shipping as well (and have good return policies) - already mentioned other places on this board as well. Check out newenough.com etc. (if you use the search function you will find tons more reviews and good references for gear.) You shouldn't have a problem getting good gear (boots and gloves)for $300. People may disagree, but if you find deals out there, you can get damn good gloves fpr 120-150 and the boots for the change.

Just check out the other links here and good luck.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I think that these are exceptional gloves for the money. Even at full cost they'd be my top choice for $100 gloves. For $40, you can't miss.
http://www.newenough.com/teknic_violator_gloves_page.htm

I don't have a pair of them, but several of the people with whom I ride bought Teknic Defenders because they had good features for a $160 boot and they contine to be happy with them. They're on closeout at New Enough for $85... (it goes for $180 at kneedraggers.com)
http://www.newenough.com/teknic_defender_waterproof_boots_page.htm

The Joe Rocket Revolution boot and the Oxtar Matrix seem to be good all around boots for ~$150, but I think if I was looking in that range, I would probably spend the extra $30 for a set of Sidi Champions, as I don't know anybody who owns them that doesn't like them.

As for going overboard... I don't know anybody who's been down on a bike and said that they'd wished that they'd spent less on protection. And for the most part, motorcycle specific gear is more comfortable and easier to ride in than adapting "street clothes" for motorcycle use, and makes it easier to enjoy the ride.

HTH,
--Fillmore

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great recommendations guys. I'd rather buy decent gear and be properly prepared for a crash rather than to regret not having proper gear and having to recover from a preventable injury.

one squid rider at work gives me a hard time about me "wanting to crash" but then the guy proceeds to tell me about his injuries from an accident which from the sound of it could have been prevented by a decent jacket with a foam elbow/forearm pad. ::)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
When I was looking for boots, I couldn't find any good motorcycle-specific boots for under about $160. I finally settled on some boots from Gaerne for $170, because they fit me better than the previous half dozen pairs of boots I had tried on, and I like the look. (They look something like this: http://www.gaerne.com/boot_strada.edge.html). You can get some work boots from Sears for about $80 that will do the job if you don't have to have something designed explicitly for motorcycles.

For gloves, I bought a pair of Held gloves that I really like for about $80. The palms are made from a softer leather that is also tough (kangaroo? deerskin?) and the backs are heavier. I like that they come with a velcro strap to keep the wrist tight so the gloves can't come off.

All it takes is one crash at speed to make you appreciate the investment in good gear. I have a permanent scar at the top of my leg where my textile riding pants wore through in October. Now I've invested in better riding gear.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For what its worth I have the JR 990 boots and AP GP Pro gloves. Boots arent in the country yet so I cant say much abou them but the quality of the gloves is great, once you get used to the 4th and 5th fingers being sewn togther.

Rhoades

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
$200 can get you a variety of good motorcycle specific boots. They yield better protection in a crash than work boots and they're convenient to pull off at work where you'll slip on the loafers or tennis shoes you keep there.

I have Sidi's for $200 full retail. Oxtar has a boot in that range too. Diadora has as well, though I think the consensus is that Diadora is a notch down in quality.

The $100 or so left over will easily get you a good pair of gloves. I got Teknic violator Pros from New Enough last winter for $69. Killer deal.

I'd recomment phoning New Enough, giving them your budget and riding location and seeing what they propose.

Around here, one pair of gloves won't cut it. I need cold weather and warm weather gloves, so I had to put out more than $300 to be set up for the whole season.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I think that these are exceptional gloves for the money. Even at full cost they'd be my top choice for $100 gloves. For $40, you can't miss.
http://www.newenough.com/teknic_violator_gloves_page.htm

--Fillmore
Those gloves are basically the same thing as my Joe Rocket GPX gloves. But the $39 sale price is AWESOME! I think i paid $90 for the JR's. For the record, gloves should fit comfortably, and have some type of strap around your wrist to keep them from being peeled off. Gauntlet style is best, as it provides some forearm protection. The knuckle plate on the GPX gloves, (as well as the teknic gloves in the link) is really hard and would keep the joints safe. When i have those gloves on, I feel like i could punch a brick in half :)

Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have Sidi Strada Evo boots (no sliders), and I think I paid less than $200. Nice fit, non-racer look.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I have the Sidi vertibra which are very comfortable and provide lots of protection; my gloves are Held which are very comfortable and both gloves and boots fit me well

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Lori,

If you got Vertebras AND the Helds for under $300 (the original poster's question), you got a great deal!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guys I ended up buying the alpinestars web gore-tex boot in black for $130.
http://www.casporttouring.com/thestore/prods/aswebgtxbtblk.html

luckily every store that i went too didn't have my size in the sidi
vertebrae or i might have broken down and bought those pricey suckers!

i also bought some gauntlet type gloves but since the sleeves on my leather jacket are a little long i find that the cuffs on the gauntlet type gloves bunch up with the sleeves and it feels really uncomfortable on my wrist because of the excess material. i'll have to pick up some gloves that stop at the wrist next.

thanks for the help everybody. we had a class only session earlier tonite and on sat i get to ride for the first time! ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts