Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brain hurts...can someone point me at a chart that shows which Monsters (and SS if possible) have which forks on them? I'm mostly looking for which models and years have the non-adjustable Showa forks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'll try. 900 and 1000 models that say S as in 900S or Sie are adjustable the new S2R 1000 is adjustable as ar the S4's. All others are non adjustable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that! The big question here is this: of the models w. the non-adjustable forks, which are the Showas and which are the Marzocci's?

BTW the 2003 800SS came with the fully adjustable Showas....just fyi.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Good questions, and I'd like to add one...

Which one's are interchangealbe to the '05 620??

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Monster forks are 43mm 50/54 (top/bottom) All of the adjustable Showas from other Monsters will fit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but that web site doesn't differetiate between the forks.

Surely soebody knows the answer to this, or at least where to find it. Anyone?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
They switched from Showa to Marzocchi for the Monster non-adjustable forks in 2005.

Some of the earlier 750 and 900 models also used Marzocchi, but I'm not sure as to which years. I think they changed to the Showas about the time they switched to the ST frame.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
ducatania said:
They switched from Showa to Marzocchi for the Monster non-adjustable forks in 2005.
I'm not sure this is accurate -- I've got a 2004 M800ie, and I think that I've got the Marzocchi forks... :-\

<runs out to garage to look>

IIRC, all of the S2R 800 models run the non-adjustable Marzocchi forks, too.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
ducatania said:

Some of the earlier 750 and 900 models also used Marzocchi, but I'm not sure as to which years. I think they changed to the Showas about the time they switched to the ST frame.
My old 1999 m750 had non-adjustable Marzos... before I did the SBK conversion ;D

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
The reason you're not getting a sraight answer is because low level monsters (600, 750, and non-s 900s) could all have either showa or mazoochi forks. It seems that neither brand was really specified, you may find that at certain times most of the bikes had showa forks, or at others they had the marzoochi forks. It was probably a cost decision, and whoever they were able to get a deal from that quarter is who they bought from.

So you could have bike that are identical on paper, that would have different forks.

Justin

·
Registered
665 Posts
Where would it say the brand? In case I want to verify?

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
on the bottom of the fork, where the calipers mount on the inside it will say showa if they are showas

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
So which did you have?

Justin

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
also keep in mind..if you are planning a fork swap, older model forks have 40mm instead of 65 calipers and 20 instead of 25 axle.
so if you are putting older model forks (pre-00 probably), you will also need wheels, calipers and fender.

i think the adjustable forks are commonly showas, and the non-adj are usually marzocchi.
i think late 90's are the only ones that might have non-adj (but rebuildable [thumbsup]) showas
97 M750 had non-adj showas. i think the 00-01 900 non-s models had them too

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
MonsterHooligan said:
also keep in mind..if you are planning a fork swap, older model forks have 40mm instead of 65 calipers and 20 instead of 25 axle.
so if you are putting older model forks (pre-00 probably), you will also need wheels, calipers and fender.

i think the adjustable forks are commonly showas, and the non-adj are usually marzocchi.
i think late 90's are the only ones that might have non-adj (but rebuildable [thumbsup]) showas
97 M750 had non-adj showas. i think the 00-01 900 non-s models had them too

yeah, Hooligan got them they way there were supposed to come, but that doesn't mean they did come with those.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I got an early 99 model 750 with POS marzo's I'd like to get a set of old style (small axle & caliper spacing) showas, at least they're worth messing with.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Here's something to give everyone a headache:

My 1999 M900 is not an M900s. Yet it has the adjustable forks. - Go figure.

I just realized I had two "bonuses" with my bike recently, that my swingarm was an aluminum one (vs. steel) and my adjustable forks are rare for a non-S 900, but several others have had the same thing.

Oh Monster, the parts bin of Ducati bikes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts