Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Monster 797+
11 Posts
Neither?

I love my Monster but cross country at highway speeds is definitely not it's strong suit. I've never been a cruiser fan but maybe in this case it wins by default although you could probably get more luggage on the Monster. Flip a coin.

If you were to run into any issues the Harley would be much easier to get fixed in most parts of the country.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a bike in general only has about an hour and a half range per tank so i’d be stopping frequently
HD has dealerships all along the way but i would be carrying extra cables and a tire plug kit with me
my fat boy has pistol grip handlebars which are a very comfortable hand position
however the monster looks like it’s skinner and can split lanes easier since there’ll be at least one costly backup along the way

·
Registered
557 Posts
Questions:

Which route would you be taking and how many miles from start to finish?
How many days do you plan for the trip?
Mostly highway or backroads?
Which Monster and which gen Fat Boy?
Are you planning on lane splitting legally? If so, AFAIK California is still the only state where it's legal, and you don't have to worry about getting pulled over for doing it.

In general, speed/fastest/twisty detours: Monster, comfort/more slowly: FatBoy -- though the old FatBoys vibrate too much for me to want to make a cross country trip on one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DC to LA
66 to 81 to 40
2700 miles each way
whenever i drive my stops are in little rock and
albuquerque

on a bike the number of days can vary depending on how i feel

monster would be a lowered 696
fat boy would be an 01 with efi

if traffic isn’t moving i’m splitting, legal or not, whenever i get pulled over i tell the officer i got an air cooled engine and he tells me to ride the shoulder

·
Registered
557 Posts
DC to LA
66 to 81 to 40
2700 miles each way
whenever i drive my stops are in little rock and
albuquerque

on a bike the number of days can vary depending on how i feel

monster would be a lowered 696
fat boy would be an 01 with efi

if traffic isn’t moving i’m splitting, legal or not, whenever i get pulled over i tell the officer i got an air cooled engine and he tells me to ride the shoulder
Twin Cam motor, right? For that ride/route/distance, I would likely choose the FatBoy. 29 years ago, I'd be taking the Monster lol. Not sure if I'd enjoy 1,000 mile days on the Monster at my age.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The only reasons I would not take my Monster are the limited mechanical support if it breaks, and lack of wind protection.
Don't think I'd worry about wind that much, but I would not want to do 1000 or even 500 mile days.
Let me average 200 or 300 a day. So what I really need is time.

So maybe 2 weeks to get to New Hampshire where my grandkids are now.
Flying sucks these days, but it is much faster, so I'll be doing that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Twin Cam motor, right? For that ride/route/distance, I would likely choose the FatBoy. 29 years ago, I'd be taking the Monster lol. Not sure if I'd enjoy 1,000 mile days on the Monster at my age.
88B V-twin engine. (88ci/1450cc). The fat boy is definitely a comfortable riding position, in backups though I could only ride the shoulder since it isn't always narrow enough to split lanes

·
Registered
557 Posts
88B V-twin engine. (88ci/1450cc). The fat boy is definitely a comfortable riding position, in backups though I could only ride the shoulder since it isn't always narrow enough to split lanes
I'm in Southern California and do my fair share of lane splitting, but usually on fairly narrow bikes. Most drivers are kinda used to it out here, and it isn't uncommon to see baggers and other wider bikes do it, so I don't think you will have a problem here for the most part. In other parts of the country, where people aren't used to it, maybe the shoulder will be safer, but I think I'd be more concerned about debris and crap that gets flung to the shoulder. Hopefully, you won't need your tire plug kit very often.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just realized, the Fat Boy's seating position angles the riders body away from the tank whilst the Monster's seating position angles the rider's body towards the tank. I ride the Monster, or any bike of that angle, and my nads end up pressed against the tank. Not an issue when only zipping around town but on a 40 hour ride ...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just realized, the Fat Boy's seating position angles the riders body away from the tank whilst the Monster's seating position angles the rider's body towards the tank. I ride the Monster, or any bike of that angle, and my nads end up pressed against the tank. Not an issue when only zipping around town but on a 40 hour ride ...
When I was a fit young man, I rode successive 1,000 mile days on a 1989 Yamaha FZR1000 with a buddy who was on a 1985 Suzuki GSX-R750. Both bikes have a more committed riding position than the Monster 696. It wasn't the most comfortable naturally, but doable with a lot of seat gymnastics after about the 500 mile mark each day. Depending on your level of fitness and how many miles you plan to ride each day, your nads might be alright lol. If you have a tank bag, you can rest your chest against it and take some weight off your hands and give your core a break during some of the long boring stretches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I was a fit young man, I rode successive 1,000 mile days on a 1989 Yamaha FZR1000 with a buddy who was on a 1985 Suzuki GSX-R750. Both bikes have a more committed riding position than the Monster 696. It wasn't the most comfortable naturally, but doable with a lot of seat gymnastics after about the 500 mile mark each day. Depending on your level of fitness and how many miles you plan to ride each day, your nads might be alright lol. If you have a tank bag, you can rest your chest against it and take some weight off your hands and give your core a break during some of the long boring stretches.
In my younger years I thought I was bad ass riding my 92 FZR 600 from the Groton CT sub base to Columbus Ohio and back on the weekends. Give me the Fatboy for cross country.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts