Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best price ive found on Bike A is about $6500. The best ive found on B is about $5900. Both are used, both will need shipped in. I can afford either of them; one of them is not a Ducati.

Help

Kevin

·
Registered
400 Posts
Go for the Duc! You won't be disappointed. ;D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not enough information.

Torque and horsepower aren't that important provided you have enough to pass any cage quickly. Beyond that, a top speed of 165 isn't reallly all that different than a top speed of 115. Examples: V-Max has power, but allegedly doesn't handle, while my 620 Monster handles so well I haven't gotten close to the limits yet, but it's hardly a drag racer.

-Don

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not enough information.

Torque and horsepower aren't that important provided you have enough to pass any cage quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
picking a bike based on the specsheet is like buying speakers solely on their watt rating.
just doesnt tell the whole story.
Sure, I understand that. I still have to test ride one of the two, but this is getting really hard, picking one or the other. So Im really picking a bike based on its numbers, and on the test ride. Price is next.

Kevin

W

·
0 Posts
bike b. the average price of bike a is $6500. the average price of b is $7100. that's a $600 difference. these bikes are naked and probably derived from sport bikes; they aren't cruisers and don't hold as much engine modification performance potential. if you buy bike a, $600 in mods isn't going to get you 50% more hp and torque like bike b has. but i'm no expert, just crunching numbers. now i understand that if you wanted more power and speed, you'd be interested in a sport bike. but i'm kind of a firm believer that if you have a choice, when dealing with motorcycles, more power is better than less power. and especially in your case when the decision is coming down to the numbers. obviously one bike is a ducati, and the other, i think you said, isn't, but i don't think brand makes a huge difference to you since you're taking a poll. if you're gonna be happy with either bike, then why not choose the one that you're gonna be more happy with?

·
Registered
37 Posts
(i don't know one withRe: Which bike should I buy?

All things being equal, I'd go with bike with more power (especially more torque).

But there are bikes out there with half again as much hp as my bike, but i wouldn't trade my bike for them, even if it was an even swap (or even if they gave me a little money). I don't know of any bike with half again as much torque, but even if i did it wouldn't change my answer.

i personally think style, handling, comfort and sound (yes, i know sound isn't high on everyone's list, but there it is) are important.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
We all have our own personal figure of merit when choosing a bike.....

My M900 is my first bike. When I first told people about my new purchase, someone asked "how did you decide on a Ducati?"

I was speechless for a minute. The question hadn't occured to me before! I decided I wanted a Monster FIRST. The rest was just deciding which Monster. ;D

That's how I bought my first Alfa GTV6 as well. I saw (and heard) one driving down the street in '81 and said HOLY SH!T!. Two years I was sitting behind the wheel of my own. I never cross-shopped.

I'm now looking at other bikes, but only as companions to my Monster, not as a replacement.

If you're looking for the best objective performance for your money, maybe you don't want the Ducati. If your decisions are driven by the subjective sensations of riding and you can (like most of us) go out to the garage just to carress you bike with your eyes every day (even after two years), then you may end up on a Ducati some day no matter what choice you make this time.

·
Registered
684 Posts
First of all...
happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you
happy birthday to Monster Lover
happy birthday to you!

Secondly,
Choose the one that has the most passion or "charge" for you; these are the things that feed the soul. Life ain't about numbers and measures.

In other words, get the Monster ;)

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you're gonna be happy with either bike, then why not choose the one that you're gonna be more happy with?
I get your logic. You're correct, im not very brand loyal (well, yet) What im loyal to is how i feel when im riding. I still have to ride Bike B to see what that feeling is.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bike B = Speed Triple?
I might as well spill it, its a Buell XB9S.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (i don't know one withRe: Which bike should I

All things being equal, I'd go with bike with more power (especially more torque).

i personally think style, handling, comfort and sound (yes, i know sound isn't high on everyone's list, but there it is) are important.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We all have our own personal figure of merit when choosing a bike.....

My M900 is my first bike. When I first told people about my new purchase, someone asked "how did you decide on a Ducati?"

I was speechless for a minute. The question hadn't occured to me before! I decided I wanted a Monster FIRST. The rest was just deciding which Monster. ;D

If you're looking for the best objective performance for your money, maybe you don't want the Ducati. If your decisions are driven by the subjective sensations of riding and you can (like most of us) go out to the garage just to carress you bike with your eyes every day (even after

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First of all...
happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you
happy birthday to Monster Lover
happy birthday to you!

Secondly,
Choose the one that has the most passion or "charge" for you; these are the things that feed the soul. Life ain't about numbers and measures.

In other words, get the Monster ;)
Hehe, thanks. Another year closer to retirement :) Your idea is spot on, although a little biased :)

Kevin

W

·
0 Posts
wow, buell xb9s vs. monster. that's funny because i think that if there's one naked to creep up on the monster, it's the buell lightning. the buell is a sweet looking bike. i'm sure if you're also polling on a buell site, everyone there is saying go buell. i originally said go b because of the power. but i agree with d mcd and humbaba, in that you should just go with what gives you that extra yowza! especially in nudie bikes. before, i said to go with power, but now that i think about it, power and numbers shouldn't even be an issue with this decision. because if numbers really mattered, then you'd be looking at sportbikes. either way though, you're gonna be happy.

·
Registered
403 Posts
go with what makes you go gaga.

:p

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, I rode the XBS9 Lightning, the Monster 1000 and the S4R. I'm not sure which Monster is up against the Buell, but if its the 1000 (or the 900 I suppose), there will be no comparison. You will end up with the Monster. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts