Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. so i apparently left my bike in park the other night and the battery is toast. i have a battery tender jr and want to get the thing charged back up, but am having a nightmare finding the battery, considering it is not shown at all in the manual. can anyone please throw me a bone on getting to the thing and yanking the battery so i can charge it? only thing close to helpful i found was from the powercommander site that shows the pc connected to the battery in a bad picture. is it actually in the airbox? any instructions on getting this done easily would really be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: where's the d**n battery?

ugh... i knew that would happen... sent this and then lifted the tank. yes.... i am an idiot. thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
It's OK, we won't tell anyone. ;D ;D ;D

(at least you didn't post it in Tech! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh])

·
Registered
318 Posts

You'd think the owners manual could give you a hint though eh?. damn Italians [laugh]

·
Registered
114 Posts
I asked the guys at our local Duck shop what I should do for a minimal winterization (Live in Kentucky where we just might actually get SOME snow this year). They suggested that I just add some stabiliser to a full tank of gas and put the battery on the trickle charger.
The problem with this procedure, if you have not already added the leads for the charger to your battery, is that you need to have less than 5L of fuel in your tank before lifting to access the battery. Dhuuuu. If you have a full tank, fuel will spill through the overflow.
So I added the stabiliser and opted for just just starting her up once a week and letting her run for about 15 minutes to charge the battery. This weekly event has replaced my usual weekly listen to one of the John Coltrane CDs. Same music.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
FWIW my tank is pretty much full and I lifted it to put my tender on my battery without realizing. Didnt see any fuel spillage.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think the drain hoses are fake....mine never leeks ever no matter how much is in it. It's just putting to much stress on the hinge.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
If the tank is full it is a good idea to support the tank with your other hand while raising it and use something other than the prop rod to support it, particularly if you don't have a reinforced hinge from a Norm or ducpainter tank repair.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
The other real danger in lifting the tank while too full is that if you have the emissions (charcoal) cannister in place liquid fuel can enter the cannister and cause hard starting/rough running.

·
Registered
208 Posts

HyperM3 said:
FWIW my tank is pretty much full and I lifted it to put my tender on my battery without realizing. Didnt see any fuel spillage.
I did the same thing before I realized that it was a bad idea. Or until my buddy told me that it was a bad idea!!! No spillage though!!!!!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts

A nifty thing to do though is to let gas spill into that charcoal canister, and take your bike in for an oil change. When the service tech notices the gas leaking in the canister, he will say that its busted up and he will remove it under warranty (if your bike is still in warranty of course). And they you don't have to remove that ugly thing yourself. I accidentally found this out, when I almost laid my bike out taking it off the trailer at the dealer for my 600 mile service. Gas got in there ( and there wasn't even a scratch on my bike thank god) and he just removed it for me.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
ducpainter said:
The other real danger in lifting the tank while too full is that if you have the emissions (charcoal) cannister in place liquid fuel can enter the cannister and cause hard starting/rough running.
If you still have your cannister on!

·
Registered
128 Posts

Little late but a good picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

HyperM3 said:
hyper m3 , is that your bike in the bottom photo, love the colour scheme blak and red sweet, and the pipes, what make are they , i want some now !!!!!!!!! 8) [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

cajones said:
hyper m3 , is that your bike in the bottom photo, love the colour scheme blak and red sweet, and the pipes, what make are they , i want some now !!!!!!!!! 8) [thumbsup]
Thanks, I do love my bike, even when its just sitting in the garage during winter. The exhaust is Quat-D high mount exhaust, the same company that makes the ex-box.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

HyperM3 said:
Thanks, I do love my bike, even when its just sitting in the garage during winter. The exhaust is Quat-D high mount exhaust, the same company that makes the ex-box.
hey hyper , sorry whats the company name or webb site i can look at to see your cans , ya bikes superb ! [thumbsup]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts