Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought me a 2003 620 for christmas. Other than a new exhaust ( and which brand) where is the best place to start modifications. This is my first bike. Thanks in advance for any advice to a newbie

·
Registered
237 Posts
welcome to the board!

check out the faq section on mods:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_mods.html

its tough to decide where you want to start for mods weather you are doing performance mods, aesthetics, or for erogonomics. a pretty common and fairly cost effecftive performance mod you may want to look at is changing the gearing for some snappier low end response. poke around the board, you'll find plenty of info.

-steve

·
Registered
461 Posts
For performance, open the airbox wide open and have the shop tweak the mixture to match. New slip-ons help a little and sound nice.

Get rid of that ugly fender hanger out back.

Then get rid of mandated emissions junk. How-to is all over this board.

Then go from there. Two of those cost you virtually nothing. Slip-ons cost a bit.

-D.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Congrats! (On having an awesome wife ;)) and on getting a duc!!! Enjoy the process and welcome to the board.

scooby ;D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My best friend conspired with my wife to make the purchase, he was shocked when she asked him to help find a bike and excited to help as he knew I had wanted a duc for nearly ten years. (Now, I just need to get him off his springer softail) Only thing is now she has something to hold over my head (I can't argue about changing dirty diapers as much). I'll ask the dealer about the airbox and I have seen that it comes stock a little lean anyhow. So would you start with a strati mod or replace the cans/ecu/airfilter at the new lower price from ducati?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
THAT'S SO COOL!!! I want a new 620ie, too!! :) I rode one too briefly and thought it was great. Are you sure you need to mod it so soon after purchase? Maybe get the mufflers and see about having the dealer adjust up the "trim" until you have 4~6% CO.

That's COOL! Great wife. :)
Chris

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trade weight for power! its not a dyno noticable change but it does matter.

Yank Emissions
Nice light weight pipes
Sidestand bypass (necessary!)

all thats good for at least 20lbs lost weight.

removing emissions makes it pretter. I removed the side pods to get more frame exposed.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
you certainly are blessed with a wonderful wife and a wonderful bike! may you enjoy many great years with both of them.

i say live with the bike stock for a while. meantime, read through the posts on the board along with the faq section. also brouse the photo gallery. ride safe and enjoy ;D

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a 2003 620 and can warm up my bike with the stand down (in neutral) did they just start doing that or something?
Yes!!

You are truly blessed!

;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes, that sidestand thing is a recent change. You can start it with the stand down now. But you may consider removing the whole interlock switch. Real easy to do on the new bikes - no bypass necessary. No cost. Possibility of pole vaulting comes with it though.

You also don't need to buy anything to open the airbox. The current cover has a little tiny hole for air to come in. You can cut off the whole top, drill big holes in it, or, if you want to spend money, buy from the DP catalog. I cut mine off. There are some things to avoid and care to be taken as another new thing is the Helmholz resonator built in to the cover. The dealer has to trim the mix richer. The open airbox will lean out an already lean mix.

Keep reading here. There's tons of stuff available in the archives and at the sponsors' websites.

BTW, I chose the 620 over the others on looks alone. Performance is more than adequate, but it's head and shoulders better-looking than the ones with oil coolers and radiators and such. (Uh, anyone who wants certainly can contradict me on that last.)

-Don

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Don, I'll take you up on that last part - me personally, I don't like the gap where the oil cooler goes on the 620. It looks to me like there should be something there. I picked up an oil cooler for a song on the great ebay and am going to install it this winter. I got it for looks alone, overheating isn't a problem here. I agree with you on the radiator, a bit big for my taste. I also agree that the 620 is a beautiful bike, I just go to the garage and look at it quite frequently. As I am a new owner, this will be my first winter storing it, thank god for the DML - it will get me through the winter, but it's going to be a long one.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not to take anything away from Strati, but you can core your own pipes.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Morphine, I'll have to ask if your cans will work, but drop me an email as to the price. thanks tommy

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
An open airbox ,a PCIII ,a larger rear sprocket and (if you want to spend a bit more) a set of slip-ons ,will make your bike fly!Now it's your turn : please sent tips on how to find a wife like yours! :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got a PCIII to install soon and I bought TPO beast pods to replace the intake. Anything that reduces weight increases apparent power. Going for some lightweight slipons might not add any power but the weight reduction helps. I found my 750D way more flickable and stable without the factory cans dragging it down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts