Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject isn't a question, this is the answer...

If you have the older Monster with the front axle that needs a 14mm hex bit to loosen, you might have discovered that the tool is extremely hard to find. I couldn't find one in the Craftsman tool catalog at Sears, and couldn't find any other local stores with them either. Then someone mentioned AutoZone.

So I looked up Autozone on the internet and found that there are 10 stores within 23 miles of my house, but the closest one was 15 miles. I chose the one in Concord 18 miles away, since that's a nicer drive. Sure enough, I found the set of three hex bits in 12, 14, and 17mm (part number 25417) hanging right in the tool section. They only had one set in stock, so I guess I was lucky they weren't sold out when I got there, because now that store is. It's a pretty good deal for $7.99. If you own a Monster with the 14mm front axle, you might want to track down a tool for it before you suddenly need it.

I'm heading out to the garage right now to try it out. Then I'm going to get my forks reworked so that they'll behave on bumpy downhill corners.

Oh, and the AutoZone.com website is dog-slow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My solution was a bolt and two nuts... any bolt head can be used as a make shift allen key if need be... though your solution is a bit more legit.
cheers,
Brian

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My solution was a bolt and two nuts... any bolt head can be used as a make shift allen key if need be... though your solution is a bit more legit.
I tried that and couldn't get it to work. Maybe if I had welded the nuts to the bolt.

S

·
0 Posts
Not a bad price from those ones at Kowa. Though the Autozone set are sockets. So I guess now we have two choices. If you like the 'L' allens get them at Kowa, if you like sockets, go to Autozone. :)

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I got both the sockets and the 14mm allen at the local NAPA, but the 14mm allen alone was half the price of the whole kit from Kowa.

BTW, if you live in a town that's big enough to have a parts store that specializes in foreign auto parts (they seem to be NAPA or CarQuest affiliated), they usually have a good selection of metric tools as well. Good to remember for those extra large sockets that you need for clutch or flywheel removal that are bigger than the stuff AutoZone or the `Boys usually carries.

--Fillmore

1 - 6 of 6 Posts