Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright.
With the help of this board, I found out that there is a oil filter screen that should be cleaned with each oil change.
I made a trip to Sears, bought a 21mm wrench, found the 21mm bolt under the sight glass, removed it expecting to find a screen.... nothing.
Help!
Where is the screen and how hard is it to get to?
Is my bike missing it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
What year and displacement of Monster do you have?

The screen is in the hole where you just removed that plug, so you're close. I hesitate to tell more for fear of misleading you, without knowing which model you have....

If you have a 2000 or later, you can download the parts manual from here:

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/catalogs.jhtml

They're 3 - 5 Megs, so if you've got a modem it'll take a little while. I've done it several times.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
OK, now take a 14mm (I think it's 14MM) Allen wrench and put it in the whole. get it into the socket correctly and loosen the oil screen.

I'm not 100% sure on the size of the allen wrench but I know the location. ;D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Looking at the right side of the engine, right next to the old level check window, you'll see the head of the oil screen bolt.

-dj

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fellas.
Yep, looks like a 14mm allen wrench would do the trick.
I have a feeling that tracking one down will be the hard part.
I just took a trip down to Sears. In the jumbo sizes, they only had a 12 and 17mm. Home Depot's selection only goes up to 10mm.
Any suggestions?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, I have a 2003 M800.
From what I'm gathering, the older versions didn't have the allen bolt in front of the screen.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Thanks Fellas.
Yep, looks like a 14mm allen wrench would do the trick.
I have a feeling that tracking one down will be the hard part.
I just took a trip down to Sears. In the jumbo sizes, they only had a 12 and 17mm. Home Depot's selection only goes up to 10mm.
Any suggestions?
I recall some folks here saying that TrakAuto (or whatever your local chain auto parts store is) have sets of a couple of large sizes.

Just FYI, mine was really tight, needed a 1/2" breaker bar to get it loose........

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I got my 14mm allen wrench at NAPA.

And yeah, it was tight. I used a socket with a long rachet the first time and when it broke loose I split my lip on the frame!

Yeah, yeah, laugh it up but it's true. :-[

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
If you have AutoZone in your area, they should carry a 3-piece set that includes a 14 mm Allen socket. That's the only parts store in this area that carries them.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Zeus, I got my Allen wrench at AutoZone. I bought a set, but I think they also had separate wrenches. Advance/Discount Auto should have 'em too.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If you spend any amount of time on any non-US car or motorcycle you should have a good set of Metric wrenches, sockets and allens. Sears should have all you need, and they're great because once you buy, you never have to replace, unless you loose it. Lifetime warrenties are great. ;D

-dj

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I got my 14mm allen wrench at Autozone and had to buy a set of three to get it. Total cost was around $12.00, which is cheap for a needed tool.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I managed to track one down today at a tiny local auto parts store.
I made a few calls to Kragen, Napa, AutoZone.... the big guys had nothing.
I guess there is something to be said about the little mom and pop stores. They are still OK in my book.
Once I had the wrench, taking off the filter was a breeze. Swished it around in a little kerosene to clean it and the job was done.
Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts