Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, curious as to where you ride to when you have couple of hours for fun on the weekends or after work. Country roads, bike shops, errands, around the city?

·
Registered
'13 Monster 796 ABS
30 Posts
Hey Bub, I think you've nailed most of it there: country roads, bike locales, errands, the city (if I'm up for a streetfight), etc. A steady diet of everything really. After work, I do tend to seek open roads to avoid other motorists, you know, sensible stuff. I should also include practicing riding skills every now and then—not really a destination but something done with extra downtime.

But this is coming from someone who's only lived in (sub)urban areas. Wonder what it's like for folks in more open spaces. I also only have one bike; having more would probably open the door to other ideas and destinations. (E.g., Offroad.)

How about you? Curious why you ask—seeking new ideas? I'm curious to hear from other people too now that you mention it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bopperoo good one, I tend to forget about honing ride skills - do wheelies count? AndyTS welcome aboard! I have to imagine the Shenandoah mtns are really beautiful. I'm in Oregon and appreciate a good twisty road too

·
Registered
2003 Ducati Monster 400S
11 Posts
Hi Bub,
I live in NZ, so pretty much any road that takes me along a coastline - which is many. It's a great feeling having a massive ocean beside you on a twisty road. Lots of those in NZ.
I also ride to and from work daily, but like to change up the route - some days fast, other days very chill. Ride time is like a little holiday so I try not to take it for granted too much.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Greetings from lovely Dayton, Ohio. Backroads in Southern, Indiana, Ohio, Northern Kentucky and to any good Mom & Pop eating establishments in the area. The photo is Beaugard's Bar Que in Wilmington, Ohio.

Wheel Tire Sky Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
709 Posts
I tend to drive to the destination, then ride 'round and 'round a very irregular circle several times ;)
Some of those are better than others.
Willow Springs "Big track", good and fast, flows like a proper racetrack.
Streets of Willow, did not like it, too bumpy and did not like the layout.
Fontana, whatever they call that Nascrap track. Hell no. Rip down the straight WFO turn onto the banking but then down to the infield and weave around a bunch of cones? In a parking lot?

·
Super Moderator
898 Posts
Some of those are better than others.
Willow Springs "Big track", good and fast, flows like a proper racetrack.
Streets of Willow, did not like it, too bumpy and did not like the layout.
Fontana, whatever they call that Nascrap track. Hell no. Rip down the straight WFO turn onto the banking but then down to the infield and weave around a bunch of cones? In a parking lot?
Never ridden Fontucky, and not in a hurry to do so. Try Laguna Seca. If you hurry, there is a Ducati specific day, Ducati Revs California, the day after the Moto America race next month. 105db noise restriction (Thank you, Mr. Rainey!) which should allow all but the loudest racebikes to run. It does fill up quickly, so check with your local Ducati dealer to see if they can secure you a spot. I just gave up two spots a couple of days ago so there might still be some openings.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Never ridden Fontucky, and not in a hurry to do so. Try Laguna Seca. If you hurry, there is a Ducati specific day, Ducati Revs California, the day after the Moto America race next month. 105db noise restriction (Thank you, Mr. Rainey!) which should allow all but the loudest racebikes to run. It does fill up quickly, so check with your local Ducati dealer to see if they can secure you a spot. I just gave up two spots a couple of days ago so there might still be some openings.
Not ready to do track days now.

But did do Laguna Seca with CA Superbike school, uhhhh, many moons ago.
Early 90's? Got a few laps in, light rain did not help. Also I was on their 600 Ninja and had never ridden a bike with that kind of riding position. I had a Yamaha Maxim 700, inline 4 cruiser. Plus wearing their leathers and I had never worn leathers. Would have liked more laps but it was a great experience. Still have the T shirt and record of my pitiful lap times. Very glad I did that.

Laguna Seca rocks. :D

·
Super Moderator
898 Posts
Not ready to do track days now.

But did do Laguna Seca with CA Superbike school, uhhhh, many moons ago.
Early 90's? Got a few laps in, light rain did not help. Also I was on their 600 Ninja and had never ridden a bike with that kind of riding position. I had a Yamaha Maxim 700, inline 4 cruiser. Plus wearing their leathers and I had never worn leathers. Would have liked more laps but it was a great experience. Still have the T shirt and record of my pitiful lap times. Very glad I did that.

Laguna Seca rocks. :D
DRC is (was?) part trackday, part school. I attended in 2020, and Penguin Road Racing School co-hosted the event. Eric Wood (Woodcraft/Penguin) was one of the instructors, and guest instructors included Cory Alexander, Dale Quarterly, Jake Zemke, and Toni Elias. And there are Ducati's of all kinds -- Monsters, Hypermotards, Streetfighters, Superbikes spanning 5+ generations, and even a Supermono, three generations of Superleggeras, and Rossi's GP11 Desmosedici. Doesn't matter if you are fast or slow, young or old, experienced or newbie. No laptimes, but they will give you a t-shirt ;)

I attended a few levels of CSS at SoW, some time back as well, in the era of the ZX6R as well. Great experiences for sure, but I think you would enjoy DRC more, especially considering the venue.

·
Registered
'13 Monster 796 ABS
30 Posts
Greetings from lovely Dayton, Ohio. Backroads in Southern, Indiana, Ohio, Northern Kentucky and to any good Mom & Pop eating establishments in the area. The photo is Beaugard's Bar Que in Wilmington, Ohio.

View attachment 229093
I lived in Columbus for a few years, and in my time there, got the impression that Dayton was a great spot for riding. It was like you could pick any direction and ride off to an interesting new spot, like you've mentioned. Never got to experience it myself, but it's great to hear about it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I lived in Columbus for a few years, and in my time there, got the impression that Dayton was a great spot for riding. It was like you could pick any direction and ride off to an interesting new spot, like you've mentioned. Never got to experience it myself, but it's great to hear about it.
Columbus, is a good spot as well. Hocking Hills, Northeast, southeast or southwest. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts