Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had this weird idea the other day... thinking I could get certified to repair Ducs. Be a nice hobby wouldn't it? Maybe do a weekend or two helping the MotoCorsa guys out. :) At the least, it would be fun and cheaper to maintain my own bike. The only place I could find the certifies people to fix them was in Daytona Florida. Any ideas?? Local classes would be best.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
My guess is that shops send one or two of their employees to national training periodically.
My second guess is that if you aren't regularly wrenching, there is no way that becoming "certified" is worth it. I would reckon that certification involves class time, and may require ownership of some specialized tools.
If it was a dream, the way to do it would be to get a job at Motocorsa, work your ass off, and get them to foot the bill.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh... tools to buy... that sounds fun. Of course the dream is to not pay for my own service... to just do it myself... and know that it is being done correctly... and that it wont cost me more to fix my mistakes. Plus if I get another Duc... you know how it is...

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
ryandalling said:
Oh... tools to buy... that sounds fun. Of course the dream is to not pay for my own service... to just do it myself... and know that it is being done correctly... and that it wont cost me more to fix my mistakes. Plus if I get another Duc... you know how it is...
The tools to buy that I'm thinking of are not wrenches and hammers...
I would bet that you need a mathesis machine to be a genuine certified mech, and I think those cost more than a used monster. (Well, maybe more than a salvaged monster.)

Look through LT Snyders blog on desmotimes, he addressed something about it a couple months ago. (BTW, he is an independent mechanic, not "certified", but certainly good at what he does.) Hell, maybe shoot him an e-mail, or post the question on his message board. He seems to be a busy man, but he has always responded to my questions to him.

Not trying to kill your dreams, but, I don't think having the certification would be that rad. Buy LT snyders book, buy a haynes manual, do some servicing on you bike. You don't need to go to school for it. Peruse the threads here, take your time, take notes and pictures to help you get everything back together, ask questions.

Hell, come out and meet some folks in your area, if you are in PDX, Dewd (formerly mother formerly wyrd) knows quite a bit about general mechanicing, Iontorpedo (doesn't post much) has a real good knowledge base, Visolara will help you turn wrenchs if you point to the bolts and keep an eye on the torque...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I went down this very road last year

thought i could get my motorcycle mechanic cert and look towards a ducati cert later

bite the bullet and get a stand and mathesis and have a word of mouth business

nothing that you could live off of but something that would absorb the cost of the tools in the long run

The first hiccup was trying to get an online motorcycle cert

What a royal PITA not only are most online "schools" basically a scam IMHO they really don't teach you much

basically you are paying someone to send you a book, you read it, and take a test

You can accomplish the same thing by reading LT snyders book as toolfan was saying and the book is all of 30 bucks over the schools 600-1000

also the idea of having a general cert would be to protect yourself from liability and to finish that triangle you need insurance

and that creates a whole nutha headache

Ultimately i found that the DML and LT's book coupled with nice folks at Motocorsa and some willing henchmen will accomplish everything I wanted when i was thinking certified ducati mechanic

and

besides some trial and error costs, it is a helluva lot cheaper

in fact

just comparing costs

having a Duc shop maintain your bike is a helluva lot cheaper than getting duc certified

On the other hand

I would not want to discourage you if you want to do this just for the sake of general knowledge and specialized skill

If that is your goal then hop a plane to Florida and go after it

but

If you, like myself, wanted to do it for cheaper maintenance and the convenience of notbeing without your bike for weeks at a time

I would just go the garage mechanic route.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
and since you are in beavertown

we are more than willing to be the henchmen you need to get something done

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah... I was just thinking it would be fun to do it myself. Not really to run my own business. Just the peace of mind knowing that I didn't accidentally blow up my bike. You guys rock anyhow... I have done the tail chop and the mirrors and rear blinkers...all with help, and a lot of pictures found on this site... but when I get to real service needs... I will probably try it with your help... and if needed take the pieces to MotoCorsa. :)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
It can be fun to do it yourself without the costs of tuition, it's really not all that hard to service 2v ducatis - except for the mathesis part, but I couldn't afford one of those anyway.

Next time we post that we are going to get together for some inane reason (once or twice a month it seems) crash our party.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
torque spec, whats that?

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
desmosome said:
That point before the bolt head snaps off! [laugh]
I dont get it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On a final note, I ordered the CD of the Ducati maintenaince videos that you recommended. I will watch and learn. [thumbsup]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts