Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gang,
When the 09-10 M1100 Monster became the M1100 EVO from 2011 on, where did the additional 5 horsepower come from? Was it cam timing or compression ratio or both? And if it was compression ratio, was it due to a shorter cylinder or a smaller combustion chamber volume? And did the 8500 rpm revlimiter get moved up?
I'm sure some of you out there know something. Any info would be great. And of course I'm talking only air coolers.
This is giving me something to contemplate about my '09.
Thank you all for any replies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Taken from the Monster Bible book I have:

"The 1100Evo had a lighter crankshaft assembly, with an 848-style Superbike lightweight flywheel and rare-earth magnets for the generator assembly. The cylinder head had a redesigned inlet port and a modified combustion chamber, resulting in an increased compression ratio of 11.3:1. There was a single spark plug per cylinder, the ignition now managed by Siemens electronics, and a new camshaft. This provided 5% increased inlet valve lift, with the exhaust valve lift increased 4%."

There are other changes mentioned as well like the slipper clutch and new exhaust, but that's the jist of it. I'm sure all of that combined increased the power and changed the powerband for the better.

The Ducati Monster Bible by Ian Falloon is a great book by the way. I think every Monster owner should have a copy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taken from the Monster Bible book I have:

"The 1100Evo had a lighter crankshaft assembly, with an 848-style Superbike lightweight flywheel and rare-earth magnets for the generator assembly. The cylinder head had a redesigned inlet port and a modified combustion chamber, resulting in an increased compression ratio of 11.3:1. There was a single spark plug per cylinder, the ignition now managed by Siemens electronics, and a new camshaft. This provided 5% increased inlet valve lift, with the exhaust valve lift increased 4%."

There are other changes mentioned as well like the slipper clutch and new exhaust, but that's the jist of it. I'm sure all of that combined increased the power and changed the powerband for the better.

The Ducati Monster Bible by Ian Falloon is a great book by the way. I think every well nowowner should have a copy.
Thank you EmmDeePee. I will check out the bible. Think I'll leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
My bike runs so well now I'll just keep enjoying it. It's got 30K miles on it and it runs perfect. Full Termi, so it already runs a little freer cause it can breath.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are looking for inspiration for engine modification on a Monster 1100 this page is a reference:

Among other things it shows the impact of changing cams.
The full termi exhaust which you already have makes quite a difference. If you have spare change I would rather look at lighter wheels. The norm with Ducati is for all S models to come with forged wheels. However the Monster 1100S is one the exception unfortunately.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting thread, however, I'm with the opinion that no horsepower increase (ok, there are levels) cannot compensate for the dry clutch. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you gentlemen. Thank you LeFraussie for the link. I had seen that before but had lost the link. I'll be saving it now.
My clutch is still good. But, there is an EVR 48 tooth basket conversion in my future.

PS - Just looked at the ProService article again (thanks again LeFraussie). If the heads ever come off, I will be porting them. I don't need much of an excuse to get in there. And a set of EVO cams will also be going in.
I just don't want to crack the engine open if I don't have to. But, then again, I just may have to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just looked at the ProService article again (thanks again LeFraussie). If the heads ever come off, I will be porting them. I don't need much of an excuse to get in there.
If you are interested in head porting this great video explains the theory and shows how it's done for a Ducati 4v:

Take into account that in your generation of Monster 696/796/1100 you have to drop the engine from the frame to remove the vertical head. Just extra labour.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts