Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look of the monster with spoked wheels and would like to shave some more weight off of my bike. I have seen a few tricked out monsters with spokes and aluminum hoops does anybody know where I can find or make a set besides DP??

I know DP has a set with CF hoops for about $3000 each.... OUCH!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Higgie's done some research on spoked wheels... None of them come cheap.

Stuart at Spareshack can get the RoadRacing version.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know their is no real cheap way to get what I want... I tossed the budget out the window a long time ago. If all else fails I may go with the DP wheels.

I will send an email to spareshack to see what they can come up with

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Off of the top of my head, I don't think you're going to save any weight with spoked wheels.

I haven't weighed any though. Just thinking out loud.
Anybody have any data?

If they are lighter than my OEM 5-spoked Marchesinis, you've definitely got my attention!

G

·
i dissagree (but also have no actual data). i'd guess that spoked rims would be lighter than the 5 spoked aluminum rims. many many spokes, yes, but remember that (the ducati performance) spokers have carbon fiber outer rims. the carbon will certainly be lighter than aluminum, and since it's the outter most portion of the wheel, it's where weight savings will have the greatest effect on gyroscopic forces.

there WILL however be a greater degree of turbulence with spoked rims than the 5 spokers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked around the net and the cf spokes from DP are somewhere around 6.8 lbs and made by Dymag (Ducati claims 5.5 lbs). I'm not sure what my stock rims weigh in at.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the reply I got from road racing USA...

Hi Bret,

I am going to provide carbon fiber spoke wheels with rear sprocket and cush
drive. The front and
rear for $2,243 and that includes shipping. These are made to order and
requires 30 days after order placement for delivery. Thanks for taking the
time to e-mail us and considering our products.

Sincerely,
John King
www.roadracingusa.com
858.337.5267 Phone

G

·
I "think" the weights for stock are somewhere around 9 and 12 lbs front and rear. I read it in a ag recently, and those numbers kinda stick in my head.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those weights sound familiar to me also. The best weight savings for wheels is around 30% on average (for carbon wheel less for Mag and near stock weight with aluminum)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I really like those spoked wheels with carbon rims in the Ducati catalog for 2003. I can't find them for sale anywhere though. I'm sure I could get them through my local dealer If I looked into it closer. Look very spendy though. I think they'd look really good with the flat black on my monster dark!

G

·
Would the spoked wheels be for looks and weight reduction only, or would it also alter performance say...on fire roads? Not to say that any of you would be taking your $2,300 wheels off roading, but would it be easier to do so if one was so inclined?

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Anyone in Australia got spoked wheels or know where to get them? I have bought stuff of Spareshack before so if I can't get it here then Stuart it is. I'd prefer alloy rims as I don't know if I can trust carbon fibre over rough roads.

Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
This thread is gonna make me cry.... :'(

I can get alloy rims, and stainless spokes.
I can lace and true the wheels.

I have not found any hubs that are even close to being right.

Problem is, I can't bankroll getting 'em whittled out of billet.
I know who can do the whittling, and I can do the drawings.

There may be a way I can pull the trigger on this. There's somebody that owes me big-time in just this area....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts