Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I love my Monster, but I'm curious what Ducati might have up it's sleave as a replacement. Anybody have any thoughts as to when/if there will be a full update? Also, what would do you think should change and/or stay the same?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have to admit, the design has been around a while. Still gotta love it.

Maybe something along the lines of the MV Agusta Brutale?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I hope they never change it, it is perfect how it is. Minus the rear drink holder, enormous turn signals, emissions equipment, and a couple of other things that are easy to fix. ;)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
It's a matter of taste of course, but IMO, with the exception of the Dark scheme, none of the revisions to the design have been successful. It was a one time wonder and it can't be repeated. Definitely keep Treblanche away from it.

I don't think it's a stretch to call it a classic, so options are limited. I would hate seeing the air cooled engine go away. There are many ways to improve the Monster, but they'll be more expensive than the engine route. My dream Monster addresses ground clearance issues, posture, has top suspension components and is lighter and addresses atrocities such as the tail section and mirrors, stock. Some expensive revisions, but more in line with the original spirit of the Monster, I would think.

Oh and bring back the '97 silver/gold scheme. 8)

M

·
0 Posts
I do not envy anyone that is handed the task of doing a complete redesign of the Monster.

Incrementalism like the S4 and DS variants will only carry the model so far. It will be better that it is retired rather than allowed to have Terblanche butcher it.

Reminds me of the 1955 Ford Thunderbird. It was perfect in 1955, great in 1956, but started to get lousy and heavy-looking in 1957 and went to hell from there in 1958 and onward

Some design exercises simply don't lend themselves to easy improvement....kinda like trying to "touch-up" the Pieta

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Simple clean and functional. The look is still attractive and not yet dated. It's classic, like a blue blazer or Levis, that never really goes out of style. Minimal changes also maintains the value of the line. No need to dump last year's for the all new for '05 with "bold new graphics". The only real upgrades needed are performance and durability. The S4 did that. Stepping up to newer, more powerful, motors when they are retired from other models makes sense. There is Ducati's perspective on these too. Ducati is a small company with low volume sales and an expensive racing addiction. The tooling and design costs for the monsters was paid for years ago. That allows Ducati to sell a relatively inexpensive bike in large numbers (for Ducati) that subsidizes the R&D and racing efforts. That, in turn, comes back to Monster owners in the form of association with the world championships and Ducati legend. The monster is where it needs to be. If I were Ducati, I'd keep the changes small, incremental and functional... as long as it keeps selling.

Doc
Always willing to add my $.02

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I've been reading redesign mumblings in bike rags. Seems Ducati is talking about it.

I share concerns around a redesign. You can't do too much and still have a Monster.

I had recently been thinking that air cooled Ducati's were on the way out; between tightening emissions and performance pressures applied by all the naked copy-cats. But the performance issues have been addressed head-on with the S4 and then S4R without threatening the air-cooled variants. As we know the 1000DS shored up that line.

In speaking with Bruce at BCM a few weeks ago I expressed my worries that air cooled bikes would soon be a thing of the past. He assured me that Ducati has a whole bunch of exciting air-cooled engineering in the works that we'll be seeing over the next few years. He says there's lots of life left in the air-cooled Ducati line! Recent einite-element thermodynamic modeling has turned up lots of latent potential that we'll see on the street in not too long! Bruce would know.

He suggested I stop modifying my bike and instead put all that money under my mattress; saving up for much more potent starting point in a few years.

S

·
0 Posts
i think the essense of the monster's style lies in the shape of the tank and the trellis frame. to redesign either would be to lose the bike i think.
now... if ducati gave the ol' gal better legs out of the box and maybe some more power too, you'd have a reasonable "updating" on your hands.
but let's face it. the monster line is ducati's bargain bike. to put a bunch of high-end suspension components and a more powerful motor will boost the price even further up than the competition.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I hope not.

mitt
Think of it with a flyscreen based on the 999 fairing.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Galluzzi already did design the next Monster...it was called a Cagiva Raptor

FWIW, Terrblanche did do the makeover in 2000. redesigned blinkers, gauges, tail, tank.

I like this concept Monster from Koenig [smiley=waytogo.gif]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Having just bought an 03 M1000S, I had a similar discussion w/ Bruce. He is very high on the DS motor and its potential. Sounded like an Ultimap 5.9 upgrade and different cams can release a lot of street usable power.

In speaking with Bruce at BCM a few weeks ago I expressed my worries that air cooled bikes would soon be a thing of the past. He assured me that Ducati has a whole bunch of exciting air-cooled engineering in the works that we'll be seeing over the next few years. He says there's lots of life left in the air-cooled Ducati line! Recent einite-element thermodynamic modeling has turned up lots of latent potential that we'll see on the street in not too long! Bruce would know.

M

·
0 Posts
update probably,redesign hopefully never
it will be hard to redesign a perfect design...
Robert

·
Registered
133 Posts
Actually last weeks M C N (UK) had a two page spread on Ducati`s project M2--you`ve guessed it, a monster prototype, a bit ugly really, had an odd fairing that is see through from the top of the screen to the bottom by the lower yoke and two small headlamps wider than the rad, also an underslung exhaust-not for me

O

·
0 Posts
I'm a fan of the old SB's Ducati used mass produce. 748, 996, 998. With the new 999 and 749 and Mutistrata it kinda worried me that They would re make the Monster with a touch of that new design styling...
I'm sure if past and present Monster owners got to gether and redesgined a concept it might have a chance at creating another classic.
I think they're getting to carried away with the special bikes like the Matirx Caprix or whatever it is... Doesn't do much for the Monster... With them loading the 916, 996 and prolly later reel in a few more people when the put in the 998 and then later the 999 on to a monster its just a matter of making unique cahnges to keep things a lil interesting, and new owners.

S

·
0 Posts
Strati is right. As long as they don't touch the trellis frame and the tank, I can live with small changes.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I think the frame and tank are the most obvious pieces.. the lines and curves of the tank are classic, and they work well.. if they change that (to a more angular or pronounced variant) it will detract from the classic look of the Monster..

I actually like the single round headlight as well. It gives the bike an historic character.

I suspect they'll keep the frame pretty close to what it is now.. it is a Ducati after all, and a naked bike at that..

They'll probably change all other bits.. .maybe lights, fairing, tail section, under-side, etc.

But if it is a significant enough difference and it visually does not resemble the current monster, it would be wise to retire the marque and come up with an original but related name for it.. the market will probably be the very same demographic they sell to now.

·
0 Posts
Naked is raw.
Redesigning a Monster is cool but the tank, frame, visible engine all exemplify what a Ducati Monster really is.
Picture if you will exery Monster you've ever seen and the mod's that have been done. From tail chops, hi vs. low cans, single side swingarms; the tank and frame stay the same. The S4R was meant to compete with the Brutale and guess who won? The Brutale in my book. But it isn't a Ducati Monster, original since 1992.

R.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts