Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new 796 owner here, and I have a few questions about shifting, downshifting, etc.

I'm having a little trouble determining the correct gear for certain speeds. For instance, a common speed limit here is 25mph. This speed seems to be a little to high to stay in first gear, but a little too slow to shift to second. In second gear, this is about 2,200 rpm. This happens again at 35mph for 2nd and 3rd gear.

I guess my biggest question is, what is a good cruising rpm? At what point am I lugging it on this bike? When is to early to shift up?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but this bike is quite a bit different than my last bike. The gears are a *lot* taller than I'm used to.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree. At first you do feel a bit silly going 25 mph at 4,000 rpm, but you get used to it.
My bike hates being under 3,000 - 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, noted. That's what I'll do :)

Uhg, during the break in when I'm supposed to be under 5,500-6,000 rpm, this is going to be somewhat irritating

·
Registered
302 Posts
Monsters dont enjoy being driven slow or upshifting too soon.The bike will let you know when its not happy.Make her sing for you keep it above 3k always.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I felt the same way when I got my monster. I dont know if you want to go this route but i dropped down a tooth in the front (its cheap and easy) and I never really seem to feel in that odd spot of the gear the way I used to.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I felt the same way when I got my monster. I dont know if you want to go this route but i dropped down a tooth in the front (its cheap and easy) and I never really seem to feel in that odd spot of the gear the way I used to.
Yeah i fully agree. 25 mph will be right around 2800 to 3100 rpm in second just by dropping down a tooth and it makes the town driving a whole lot smoother and 20 to 45 buck for a sprocket isnt much at all for a simple upgrade.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Yep. Your top speed would be dropped like 7-13 MPH but when do you really have the space or lack of traffic to hit top speed. And Cops really dont like it when you pass them at 145 lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hrmm, weird. I was just talking to a guy at the dealership (Ducati Seattle), and he said that riding around in second gear at 25mph (where the rpms are 2300 or so) is not bad for the engine. Or riding around in 1st gear at 15mph where they are 2,000. Is he talking out of his ass?

What I'm mostly worried about is harming the engine, which I've heard you can do by lugging it. Maybe this is only an issue when you're going up a hill at 30mph in 4th gear or something. I don't really mind the jerkiness at lower speeds at all.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Well it doesnt harm the engine gust maakes riding a hassle. The smoother the ride the less wear and tear on the bike and mostly the rider.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another thing I've noticed riding around at 4k rpm in first gear, is that the slightest movement of my wrist (whether it's voluntary or a bump or something) will drop the fuel input and instantly make the bike "twitch", for lack of a better word. So, I'll be riding around at 4k rpm, about 22mph or so, and the bike will lurch and bounce. It doesn't do this in any of the other gears...

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
If you can maintain 25 mph in 1st gear without slipping the clutch or lurching/bogging, don't complain. Many people have said changing to a 14 tooth front sprocket is the best mod they ever did, and that's my next happy chore. School zones require that low speed, and I'm unlikely to need 150 mph on the top. Riding in town is a necessary evil. Wheelstands are already too easy, but what do you want a Monster for, anyway?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
By the way, I forgot to say, lugging an engine does in fact put undue stress on connecting rod bearings, and may also lead to premature wear on timing belts, transmissions, sprockets and chains.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hah, well, I still don't know when I'm lugging it and when I'm not. There's a few contradicting answers in this thread.

Since you're supposed to be running around 4k, would shifting at 4k be too early, on a straightaway, just to get rid of the lurching I was describing?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
If the bike sounds unhappy, it is. You will find the sweet spot, and if it doesn't suit your usual pace, change the gearing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just picked up my 796 yesterday and coincidentally also just finished my bike course as this is my first bike. I noticed that the 796 chugs ALOT if its not above 3500 or so rpm's. Is there something I'm missing? I can control it with the clutch to smooth it out but i dont wanna be burnung up the clutch either. how do you ride slow and controled without feeling the chug on the 796?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think what people were trying to tell me in this thread is "you'll figure it out", and they were right.

If it lugs below 3500, keep it above that (though on mine it's about 3000). If that means you're rolling around town in first gear at 30 mph in first gear and 4000 rpms, don't sweat it. I know it feels a little weird at first, but you get used to it. The bike is made for it.

Getting there is also somewhat strange. You may have to slip the clutch a bit to keep it from lurching below 20 mph, and that's also ok. It's a wet clutch and also made for it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts