Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if we have two bikes with nearly similar specs (e.g. power, mass, geometry) with sole major difference being a fairing (e.g. a SS1000 versus a Monster S2R1000),

At what point does the possession of a fairing make a material, measurable difference in performance? I suppose there are many ways to substantiate a material, measurable difference. The one that comes to my mind is speed. So said another way: at what speed will the faired bike materially demonstrate superior acceleration over the non-faired bike?

Any thoughts either theoretical or experiential? I am curious because I want to know how much faster around a track (e.g. Willow Springs) my S4R could be if it had a fairing.

Thanks,
Lester

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
A fairing will start making noticeable difference above 100mph.

That said, even a fully faired motorcycle is not all that aerodynamic, so it's not a *huge* improvement.

I think I've got some trustworthy data at home that can give a reasonable number.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ciao Fun said:
At what point does the possession of a fairing make a material, measurable difference in performance?
Really the answer to that changes as the speed increases. 100 mph? Depends. I think on a track it might make some difference. I'm not 100% familiar w/ Willow Springs, but if you have a decent straight, or semi-straight and are clocking over 85 for a good while, you might notice a slight increase.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I think unfaired is faster, at least on our rides [laugh]

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
it should also help for touring, since the fairing directs windblast away from you. when riding with friends, that has been the primary difference.

however, on tighter canyon rides, the leverage from the wider bars on the monster often makes it easier to turn more quickly and confidently.

it's kinda like the ole' 600cc vs liter bike answer:

tighter twisties favor smaller (within reason) displacement, wide-handled bikes; longer courses favor more cc's and fairings.

can i have a lollipop now? :p

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I think the most noticeable/beneficial material gain to be had on a streetbike is when the fairing is removed, sold on Ebay and the money used to 'perk' up the engine. You'll notice the improvement right away [cheeky]

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I put a full fairing (999) on a M620 to race. I think that the most noticeable difference is at higher speeds not only on the straight, but in the faster turns too. The bike feels more stable and I don't have any concrete data to back it up but, I wouldn't doubt that you put on a few more mph.
Also, it moves the air around you which makes it easier to ride fast. Think about the difference of all that air hitting your body versus being deflected around you. It allows your brain to focus more on the track instead of the wind assault. That alone should be good for something. It's like trying to ride the track when it's really hot, or when you're tired, or with a dirty visor. Ever read Twist of the Wrist? You have a limited amount of brain power to spend. Don't waste it. All these things add up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.