Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tentative date for putting the monster away is October 31st. Just want to get a idea of when everyone puts their monster away for the winter. I would also like to get in a good ride with a group before I put it way pm me if you are interested.

-ghost

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Well.... The since the roads are getting cold I ride pretty slow and safe, but I try to keep my bike out for at least short trips to town and back until salt & winter junk hits the roads. Definitely at some point during November.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Ah yes, this annual thread... ;D

Within the first couple weeks of November, usually.

But my bike has heated grips now, so... maybe I get another week out of it.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
My question exactly...
...ride all year round. At least until my driveway gets icebound and I am too lazy to chip a path to the road!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I keep her ready to go until the roads get littered with sand and salt. so the early snow dustings just keep me off the road 'till the next decent day.

But after the roads are covered in sand, I think about putting her up. Since most of my riding is commuting and the trip home is in the dark, I don't like sandy roads.

One year I rode deep into December because even though it was cold, we got no appreciable snow. I remember riding around a lake on which people were ice fishing ;D They thought I was nuts ridiing a motorcycle. Needless to say, I thought sitting on the ice holding onto a piece of string going though a hole in the ice wasn't particularly clever :p

Come to think of it, my koi don't feed in the winter. Do fish in the lake really bite?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Who knows when the last ride of the season will be... I guess we'll never know.
Like CRASH! said, "until the roads get littered with sand & salt"...
My bike is parked in my heated garage all winter, waiting for the next ride..

I've lately thought it might be nice to live in a more friendly climate 8)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DuCaTiNi said:
Who knows when the last ride of the season will be... I guess we'll never know.
Like CRASH! said, "until the roads get littered with sand & salt"...
My bike is parked in my heated garage all winter, waiting for the next ride..

I've lately thought it might be nice to live in a more friendly climate 8)
Yeah +2 on the warmer climate thing man I want to move somewhere I can ride all year round without the seasonal worries

-ghost

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Anyone here subscribe to MCN? LT Snyder had a column last issue about his moving to Florida for the 12 month riding season only to find that between the excessive heat of the summer and the rainy seasons, he was down to a two month season -- shorter than what he'd left up north!

What he didn't dwell on is that when he could ride, the roads sucked! [laugh]

So Cal has a 12 month season, but if you can't get up into the hills in the winter, I'm not sure that it matters much. Staying down in the valley with all the traffic doesn't sound too rewarding.

I don't think a 12 month riding season is a priority. I like mountains, both for the riding and for the skiing. If I didn't have to worry about employability, I'd move out where I'm farther from traffic and closer to good mountain roads and backcountry skiing (don't care as much about ski areas).

What I hate about the Boston area climate is that there's rarely really good snow in the winter. So it's crappy enough to keep me off the bike, but I don't get the compensating tele turns in either :mad:

Vermont. I should move to Vermont... Colorado? Montana? Not Alaska, the roads suck.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
NorthWestern CT

-gets a ton of snow
-baby size mountains
-less traffic than the urban areas
-great roads

I guess I'll stop my sniveling and stay here... for now anywayz.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I tend to actually do more riding in the fall than any other time, so I ride until the sand becomes commonplace.

Here's a question about the end of the season- are there any insurance co's that don't make you pay for a full year? I hate paying 100 a month for the 5-6 months I can't ride.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I never put bikes away for the season-there's always going to be nice days throughout the winter where the roads are clear and the air is tolerable.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
cutter said:
Here's a question about the end of the season- are there any insurance co's that don't make you pay for a full year? I hate paying 100 a month for the 5-6 months I can't ride.
I'm guessint you're in Mass...

Here you must insure any vehicle that's registered. That was a PITA when I took my Alfa Romeo off the road for the winter. I had to go to DMV and surrender my plates and get a reciept for the insurance company before they were allowed to take collision off my vehicle.

But I learned last winter that you can let your moto registration lapse January 1st (all Mass bike registrations expire with the calendar year) and then call the insurance company asking them to take collision off. You can then sit on the renewal 'till you're ready to get going again and just mail or internet renew (or go in person).

So this winter, I plan to take the insurance off for Jan, Feb and Mar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
CRASH! said:
I'm guessint you're in Mass...
Actually I'm in RI... I think my registration expires in june.

Well I'm not too worried, with the way the climate is changing I can sell all my snowboarding gear and just stick to motorcycles all year round here.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
cutter said:
Actually I'm in RI... I think my registration expires in june.

Well I'm not too worried, with the way the climate is changing I can sell all my snowboarding gear and just stick to motorcycles all year round here.
Yeah, Global Warming's all good... s'long as you live on high ground ;D

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Of course, you could always keep the bikes out all winter...

<cough cough> pansies

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sapper said:
Of course, you could always keep the bikes out all winter...

<cough cough> pansies
Sorry, you no longer have any standing on this issue ;D

It doesn't matter what you used to do!

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I suddenly feel so cold...

why, Don, why? :p

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Pretty soon now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.