Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are pretty cool for my bike anyway (748) and the price is right..under $1500

7lbs front 9 rear

stock three spoke at the rear is over 13lbs!

Attachments

G

·
Yeah I saw that about the rear.

What's your take on Magnesium and the proper care? I def cannot afford CF wheels but can swing forged Aluminum.

R.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As with HP, Stereos, and anything most guys hold dear ;D...diminishing rate of return per dollar spent!

I want carbon too but that's high $$, magnesium only has a couple of pound advantage over a good set of aluminum wheels and the Aluminum wheels has several pounds over stock and even stock magnesium. One mag wheel costs as much as two good aluminum wheels on sale so...Aluminum has best bang for the buck value.

The paint/coating on the mag wheels should be kept clean and should never be scratched. If you do scratch it, something should be done rght away to seal the area. If I owned mags I would clean and wax all the time.

Something tells me that I will settle for Aluminum for this reason. Yah, scratches aren't good in any case but knowing me I'll scratch'em and doing that to carbon basically means sending them back for repair at BST..scary

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you're interested in 10 spokes, I got my aluminum set for around $1400. Motowheels was significantly higher last time I checked. I can't remember the how the weight compares off the top of my head. I couldn't find the 10-spokes in 5.5" width though.

I saw a set of stock superbike 5 spokes listed on speedzilla for $550. not quite as light, but that's a smokin' deal.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...you're right that is a deal!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ruben..you are the MAN! [thumbsup] [clap]wow...now I am jealous for sure!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn! I wanted you to have bought them ;D

So the 'Carbon Fever' has not hit you that hard.. yet! Been to the Motowheels site lately? The show a KTM with BST's doing a 60 ft jump. They also show a deformation test on a BST rim edge using a Schenck Trebel testing fixture (Good brand-we have something here of the same) but I imagine they slowly deform the edge when applying pressure. Hitting a pothole fast in real time would result in something more catastrophic I would think.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was curious about those KTM wheels. Alot of the pros SM racers use the Marchesinis, but the carbon are even lighter. I was half-tempted to put them on my race KTM. Way too spendy, though. I still may go the Marchesini route. The spoked wheels on it right now are heavy as hell.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It really is amazing how much lighter than even magnesium the BST's are! 4.5 lbs in the rear on a duc? A guy with your skill would probably be able to use them better than I! That is exactly what you need..to be even faster on that thing at Autobahn.

G

·
I heard both horror stories and the complete opposite regarding the BST's. At some point someone's got to try them out before some poser gets them and we'll never get a real world perspective about them.

I've checked out the MW site, that's primarily where I get most info from. I'm damn tempted to buy some lightweight wheels but I'm in BH world right now, regarding a dirt bike. Last night I felt like slapping the S4 back together just to ride.

·
Registered
917 Posts
check out the BST threads on speedzilla. the lightweight wheels argument has been raging on that site for a long long time.
and there's good arguments on both sides (but mostly just a lot of name calling). plenty of people who have used them on the street and the track long term with no problems whatsoever. but there have also been a few cases of the CF wheels failing with pretty severe reprecussions.

as a mechanical engineer, carbon fiber scares me a little when it is used as a structural part. I'm sure the people making the CF wheels and other parts are both very smart, and very good at what they do, but CF just seems like an unknown quantity. There's so many variables that go into the manufacturing process. There also seems to be a lack of evidence to how well these products are tested. Compare this to aluminum, steel, titanium, and even magnesium to an extent. there are mil standards that go back 100 years for these materials. published stress/stain curves for every alloy imaginable. tried and true methods for casting, machining, forging, etc. up against this, CF is relatively new on the scene. it's wide use in aerospace will probably change that though, as it's already spreading to automotive uses pretty quickly.

so what's my point? I dunno. carbon fiber wheels are really pretty. I can't afford them though, so it's really a moot point. also, it's friday afternoon, and I needed to kill a few minutes before I left work. [cheeky]

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BH I hear you...

There are some areas I trust but mostly because we have too! Boeing for instance is a pioneer here and the equipment they come up with is astounding to say the least. Airbus too. They are doing stuff with entire planes and when I sit down and read about the current wing flap designs using nothing but carbon I am amazed and semi-frightened at the same time. They even machine it for bearing mounts. We know steel, aluminum, and other alloys but even they have problems. Google OSPREY, they had a batch of bad Titanium. When I think carbon I think of the plane that crashed over that NY suburb. The carbon part wasn't designed with the pilot's maneuver (sp?) in mind. As far as testing goes they have a lot of interesting methods (three major ones I think) but they want to automate the process entirely with planes! Wow... These are companies with money , what about BST and its origins and know how? TUV rating is hard to get though...I have to give credit to BST for that.

I think if we had the money we would all have BST's! I do however have the pics of the failed BST wheels in a file somewhere.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Small world..how did I pick that company as an example? Seriously, small world...

G

·
Zatoichi931 said:
These are pretty cool for my bike anyway (748) and the price is right..under $1500

7lbs front 9 rear

stock three spoke at the rear is over 13lbs!
That sucks for monster owners. I'd only save 1 pound for $,1499. :embarassed:

I'm forced to shell $1,800 to save 3.63 lbs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thing is, my bike was the heaviest offered in the 748 series when I bought it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts