Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am new to the forum, and new to trying wheelies, but not to Ducatis. I just bought my second Duc, a 2000 M900 with lots of mods...
I was always to scared to do a wheelie on my last bike, but I have always wondered about them.

Can anyone tell me how difficult/dangerous/illegal they are? It seems to me like you have a pretty good chance of hurting yourself doing one. Is leaning back necessary? Should I be concerned more with my balance side to side, or front to back?

And what about doing wheelies at speed, not from nearly stopped. Does a monster have the power to lift the front wheel when youare already going 40+mph?

I am still not even sure if I will ever try it (I dont want to get hurt!), but I want to know how common it is for you guys to do it, and how safe you think it is.

thanks

·
Registered
849 Posts
I think I'm like Dennis, it comes easier to me than it seems to come to others, but I'm not a natural that's for sure (and I haven't quite perfected the craft to Dennis's level - but I think I could pretty quickly if I really put my mind to it).

Wheelies are fun, and wheelies are good. Road workers appreciate them, and so do pre-schoolers. The Man appreciates them, but he was trained not to admit that and he'll punish you for pulling them in front of him.

Regardless of whether you'll become a constantly wheelying hooligan, as a motorcyclist, it's your obligation to give them a serious shot.

-R.

·
Registered
668 Posts
When You achieve Blabbermouth status counting Your wheelies, check or change all Your front end bearings.

Skier

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts

You will most likley scare yourself long before you get the ike high enough to go over. As you scare yourself simply roll off the throttle and it will come down.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wheelies may be hard on the bike, if done too often, too hard (landing), or too long. If you come down hard the shock is bad for the bearings. If you keep the front wheel up for a long period (minutes on end) the cylinder may become devoit of oil and run stuck.

Note: may.

Doing a wheelie every now and then does'nt hurt the bike, but just like for all things in life: don't overdo it.

G

·
If its worth saying, its worth saying twice. Hee Hee

I put the bike down soft most of the time. I just ride out the power and the bike comes down slow. When I scare myself its a different story. This picture did give a little scare. My son shot me 4 or 5 times telling me they were not high enough. So I went for big that time and felt like I was going over. But I just let off a little and rode it. The torque on the Monster makes it much easier to control. Funny thing is the little basterd lied. All the wheelies were that high. He was hoping for higher then that. He saw my R1 tail riding an inch off the ground at 130 mph on I 84 once and expects me to do the same on the Monster. The R1 was a great Wheelie bike. All balls no brains. Or was that me. I have grown up a lot since then. Funny thing is, I never got in trouble doing wheelies or stoppies. All my crashes have been high sides in Road Racing situations.

G

·
Wheelies don't bother me, stoppies on the other hand, now they scare me. I've done a few, but I have visions of my kids feeding me yogurt with a baby spoon. (out of necessity,not because I make them ;D)

G

·
i typically prefer to keep both tires on the pavement, but with the power the s4 puts out, the weight i've shaved off the bike (and my gut), and the agressive gearing, the front wheel finds its way skyward pretty easily when ripping through the gears. to not get myself spattered all over the road because of "unexpected-wheelie-panic-syndrom", i've been practicing doing them intentionally.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
On landings, the best advice to avoid singing soprano the rest of your life is to not snap the throttle off abruptly (although doing so is a survival instinct and must be overcome) and to grip the tank with your knees to cushion the impact.

·
Registered
287 Posts
$500 is alittle steep, but if you are really interested in learning how, there is that Kieth Code school... On one wheel... Someone here wrote a little review you should be able to find with the search feature, and I have seen numerous reviews in motorcycle mags lately... Like I said $500 is alot, but then again how much is it going to cost/hurt if you screw it up on your own ???

G

·
I have no problem lifting the front wheel in 1st gear (especialy since I dropped to a 14T sprocket in the front).
This takes care of the low speed wheelies, but how do you do lift the front from 40+ mph? I have seen many people do it, but I have never had any luck.
I have tried letting off the throttle, then cranking it back in 2nd gear, and while the front wants to come up, it never does.
Do I need to use the clutch?
Or maybe my M800 just doesn't have enough juice to make it happen....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an M900 and wheelies on a cold day in first at a crawl are pretty easy - off some kind of small road ramp is even easier, and generally the only way it gets up more than a few inches. I doubt mine (with what I think is standard gearing) will get up in second gear. Have done a few from standstill by dropping the clutch, but that is never pretty. Just getting used to it, but the bike feels amazingly stable and inspires me to do more. Don't do it all the time - just tend to find myself in the mood every now and then...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well great... It sounds like just about everyone except for me does wheelies on a regular basis.

Thanks for the input, and goodbye. This will surely be my last post because I am going to go practice wheelies and I will probably die.

Goodbye cruel world. At least I will go out having fun.

G

·
I just rode my bike for the first time with the new DP light weight flywheel, and now the bike power wheelies in second at 45MPH! I'm so fu<ked now! ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts