Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many ppl can get a 750 monster to wheelie? I weigh 165 and I tried (never done one b4) using the clutch, power, etc. Can't get it to hop an inch.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
mikebeary: Try regearing it aggressively. THAT will cure that problem for sure!

Jim G

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: POWER Wheelie on a 750?

I read through a ton of posts and stuff. I guess my main question is how many ppl think u can do (or have done) a power wheelie on a 750 stock monster. I know every bike can do a wheelie with the clutch (even tho I have yet to even do this with even 1" of hop on my 750).

Some ppl seem to say "of course", while others "no way". Just curious what the general opinion is with experienced hooligans - esp. who are in my weight / height range (165), 6'1.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
My lone FHE was watching Daffe do power wheelies on his 750.  It took a while for him to figure out the right RPM to get 'em up, but once he figured it out, up came the front end.  ;D  He's a lot lighter than you though, but they were comin' up pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 180 on a 2002 750 and I can get the wheel up.  (it's all stock gearing)  I just learned a couple weeks ago so I'm not going very high (definitely not balance point), but I can get it a foot or two in the air before I wuss out and put it back down.  In first gear, get going about 4K rpm or so, let off the gas and then hit pretty hard.  It'll come up pretty smooth.  I liked this method more than the clutch method cause I feel more in control, but again, this is brand new for me on a street bike, so there may be a better/easier way.  

·
0 Posts
I got a 2002 m750 and I can get my bike right up to to the balance point but can't keep it there for long. When I first got it i couldn't get nothing, just like you are saying. After a while of constantly trying I can get it up nno problem. I started off 'choping' the throttle and yanking the bars back, which worked but in my opinion is very inconstant. I now clutch up my bike, but only in first. I can barley get my tire off the ground in second if I clutch up and yank, which I rarely even try and do. I also found it easier to clutch up at very low speeds, somtimes from a stop. I try and get the tire up in the air high enough to where it will stay there throught first. I also went up +5 in the rear, mainly becouse of my weight (225lb+ gear) but it did help a little with wheelies. If you have any questions on re-gearing feel free to ask me. (pm or on the board)

Just keep practicing (safely of course [thumbsup] ) and over time you'll learn the balance and power delivery of the bike. There are peole that can ride endless wheelies on a 750.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
mikebeary said:
How much does a new rear sprocket cost?
About $60.  You can get one from a DML sponsor.   ;) And if you want a gearing report specific to you, your weight, riding style, etc. , Jim G (he posted above) is the Gearing Guru (another DML sponsor).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can get my 620 a couple feet off the groud by reving it up and letting the clutch rip. So you should be able to get your 750 up. Of course I haven't tried sense I put a windshield on it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"My lone FHE was watching Daffe do power wheelies on his 750. It took a while for him to figure out the right RPM to get 'em up, but once he figured it out, up came the front end. He's a lot lighter than you though, but they were comin' up pretty easily. "

---Was he doing power wheelies, or clutch? Man, I can rev it up pretty damn high, and let the clutch rip, and nothing - is it possible that the clutch is slipping or something? I've only had it a couple weeks, so I don't know what a good / vs. old clutch would feel like. It seems tho that at some point, from what I've read - that the bike should pop up pretty good at a certain rpm. I've tried from almost stop to 15mph, high rpms (guessing cuz no tach). I think it may be coming up a bit cuz the front wheel seems to wobble a bit for a moment. But must be only for a split second. Would a worn clutch do this?

·
0 Posts
mikebeary said:
---Was he doing power wheelies, or clutch? Man, I can rev it up pretty damn high, and let the clutch rip, and nothing - is it possible that the clutch is slipping or something? I've only had it a couple weeks, so I don't know what a good / vs. old clutch would feel like. It seems tho that at some point, from what I've read - that the bike should pop up pretty good at a certain rpm. I've tried from almost stop to 15mph, high rpms (guessing cuz no tach). I think it may be coming up a bit cuz the front wheel seems to wobble a bit for a moment. But must be only for a split second. Would a worn clutch do this?
Seat postion is important.
ake sure you are back on the seat and your weight is back. Have your arms fairly stretched out to the bars while still maintaing a postion to where you will have good balance.( another words don't lean too far back to where you will lose control) The engine/clutch job getting the front tire up is only half the equation, your body and seat postion needs to be in the right postion too. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, I go back halfway on the damn passenger seat. More effort today! The weather's looking pretty good here in Chicago.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
pt33 said:
Seat postion is important.
ake sure you are back on the seat and your weight is back. Have your arms fairly stretched out to the bars while still maintaing a postion to where you will have good balance.
I saw a slightly built guy wheelie, nicely I might add, a Triumph Rocket III. This was done in one complete motion - he started out crouching on the back of the seat at about 15 mph, hit the gas, pulled back on the bars and popped the front end. Essentially, he powered the bike up to meet his body, as all of his weight was pretty close to the rear wheel. As the bike came up, it was easy for him to slide on the seat. Came down kind of hard, though! [cheeky].

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Follow these instructions, and I gaurantee that with enough practice you will wheelie quite nicely on a 750 or bigger...

1.  Make sure you have a firm grip on the tank with your knees and are firmly planted in your seat, don't lean forward any more than you normally do.
2.  From a stop accelerate quickly to about 4000rpm.
3.  At 4000rpm let off the throttle for about a half second and then chop the throttle HARD to about 3/4 of the way open and hold it there.
4.  Your front wheel will now be rising off the ground.

Depending on how your bike is set up you may have to open up the throttle all the way, but the key is just getting on it hard and fast at 4k.

You may also want to think about keeping the rear brake covered with your foot in case you want to come down.  I personally don't like to do this as I think the front end comes down way to fast if you hit the brake.  Monster's have more than enough engine braking if you just get off the throttle to bring the front end back down.

Just keep practicing.  Re-gearing your bike will make it easier, but it depends on how how you like to ride.  Practice, practice, practice and you will be up at the balance point in no time.   ;D

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
If I can do one on my 800 you can do one on your 750 - I did exactly what Bloodshot said and it worked a treat. First time yesterday [thumbsup]. I will also tell you that I crapped my pants the first time the wheel cam up significantly.....but it just made me want to do it again ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Just in case you didn't know: the reason for turning off the throttle is to compress your forks and then when they rebound it'll help push your front end up as your giving the engine gas. Also: may I strongly recommend you get a steering damper if you're going to be doing a lot of wheelies. If you get really good and start to ride long ones talk to your mechanic about engine oil starvation and oil breather blow-by. Good luck, have fun, be careful. MH

·
Registered
359 Posts
I consistently pop my front tire off the ground using the throttle control techniques as explained in the above posts. Crack open throttle in first gear about 50% to roughly 4000 rpms, roll off for a sec so the front forks compress, then immediately crack the throttle open again to 70% or more and your tire will come up. Be careful, stay relaxed and maintain handlebar control while you roll off the throttle to bring the tire down, and have fun.

Rock

1 - 20 of 26 Posts