Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to put new rubber on the M1000. Can you scoot the wheel forward enough to remove the wheel without breaking the chain?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Remove the axle nuts, pull out the axle, slide the rear wheel forward, and you can easily get the chain off of the rear sprocket. When reassembling, make sure the conical spacer has the flat slide against the swingarm, oriented as in this photo:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Scott,
The picture was a non expected plus. I'm going to be yanking the wheels out on the weekend if my tires show up in time. I ordered Continental ContiForce Max tires, because I found a deal, just under $200 delivered for the front and rear. I use Continentals on my Bianchi road bike so I thought I'll see how they do on the M1000. Heck, the way this thing eats tires I'll be on to the next set soon enough if these stink!
Mike

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS
Scott,
Level with me, why do you happen to have a picture of this?
I hope you didn't pull the wheel just to help me out. Maybe your doing a little maintenance as well, anyway thanks again.
Mike

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Level with me, why do you happen to have a picture of this?
Last time I put on a new set of tires I remembered that quite a few people had been confused about this spacer, so I went back in the house, grabbed my digital camera, and photographed it. Then I had to spend some time cleaning the camera, because I didn't clean my hands good enough first. ;)

Anymore, I try to take photos of things like that when I get the chance, although I didn't take a single shot of shortening and coring a set of pipes recently.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great idea to chronical as you go. Speaking of pipes, I cored out my stock M1000 pipes about 2000 miles ago and I love them. I went with what I'll term the 3/4 mod. I kept them stock length and appearance. I cut out the back of the inner muffler. I chucked up the rear caps and bored out the big washer plate to a diameter of 45MM which is about half way between the Strati half mod and full mod. The sound is deep and throaty without driving me crazy on the open road. I've ridden many years with open pipes on Old Harleys, it's not particularly healthy in the long term.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts