Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding myself obsessing over the concept of owning one. Tell me the good, bad and ugly. What model, what year, what trim package to look for. Pros, cons... comfort, reliability, bells, whistles... Tell me baby girl because I need to know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm finding myself obsessing over the concept of owning one. Tell me the good, bad and ugly. What model, what year, what trim package to look for. Pros, cons... comfort, reliability, bells, whistles... Tell me baby girl because I need to know.
I have an M900 its almost 20yrs old and still fun to ride. I bought it around seven years ago to cafe racer it but, I liked it so much I couldn't chop it up, handles really well in corners although I have new Sachs forks and an Ohlins shock on it now. Also BOS race cans, 14t front speocket and a tail chop among other things. Try one you might love it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
It's a really good all-around standard motorcycle. It doesn't carry a passenger very far very well -- the bike doesn't mind, but the passenger does. It doesn't have a lot of room for luggage, but you can strap enough stuff to it to tour one-up pretty well, once you get used to the wind blast of an unfaired bike. I can do 5 or 6 hundred miles a day pretty easily on the highway for traveling, or 400 or so on secondary roads. I have done over 900 miles in a day a few times, but that's stretching it.

I have been riding the older 2V air-cooled Monsters, and they have held up really well and been durable and reliable. That should remain true for anything up to and including the 696/796/1100 generation, and the new 797. There was an issue some years back with the plastic tanks, so watch out for that if you're looking at used Monsters of the 620/695/S2/S4 generations.

They work well as commuters, daily riders, fun/sport riding, trackday, reasonable touring for one. Those before the 696/796/1100 generation were light on the front end for optimal traction; they revised the frame for the 696/796/1100 so it carried more weight on the front. So if you're into really hard riding or heavy on trackdays, I'd suggest the newer ones for better handling.

PhilB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts