Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Aside from my ST3s and the off-road stuff in my signature, I also ride these weather permitting:
Cool. I have a couple of those also. Very refreshing on those scorching hot days.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since the OP, I've purchased a 2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak.
It's at the dealer's in storage and it will be a long "four months" until I get a chance to ride it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
A collection of vintage scooters.
L to R: 1962 Maico Maicoletta (275cc 2-stroke), 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke), 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 (175cc 4-stroke).
Plus, a picture of the Heinkel in action.

PhilB

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, I had to post this.

This guy takes the cake, how about a collection of 30 of the rarest and most exotic Ducati's (and most expensive).

Most are brand new, zero miles and have never even been started, What a waste.

Drool away;

·
Registered
148 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I am 62 years old, do not own a four-wheeler and have not since 2010. And many chunks of my life, likewise.

Most of the cars I have owned have been Triumph/MG or Toyota MR2 two-seaters, with the occasional Ford van thrown in to transport my race bikes..

Currently:
--2008 Honda GL1800--long distance mistress and bad weather bike.
--2012 Multistrada--medium range touring bike that doesn't get ridden often enough, but is more than worth it when it does.
--1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon with Heidenau knobs--supposed to be my dirt bike, but is a lot of fun and gets used as an every day all-purpose bike. A bit scary in the rain, as in today...
--2017 BMW S1000R-just bought this bike ...wrecked by the previous owner, who for whatever reason, had no comprehensive insurance. Win for me...maybe. We'll see how expensive this project ends up. I actually traded a nice running Triumph 675 Street triple for this mess. I have bought a bunch of eBay parts, and I'm working on it. It will be a fun ride when it is rideable, but that might take a while.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Orionengnr, just curious where are you located. I have a friend here in lovely Dayton, OH that rides almost everyday. He has a blog Moto Adventure. I'm sure he would like to here from you. He is always interested in riders like yourself who do not use four wheels. The blog web site. https://motoadventurer.com

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for asking.
I am in the outskirts of DFW, TX. We get cold, but probably not Dayton cold. I think the coldest weather I have actually ridden any distance in was 17*. That was 25 miles or so each way with a warm-up in the middle, and it was more than enough enough :)

Best of all, we get cold, stay cold a few days then warm up a little (40* today). We get snow every couple of years, but more than an inch or two only every 5-6 years. Ice some winters, which is worse. We essentially don't have snow removal equipment--there are some trucks that can spread chemicals in advance to keep ice from forming, but snowplows are few and far between and only hit the freeways.

If there is ice on the roads, I take a day off. Half the time it occurs on a weekend, so I have a day or two to let it melt. Staying frozen for 3 days plus has only happened once since I have been here (14 years).

I will check that website, but first I need to pull the front wheel off the GL and get a slow leak fixed. Take care, Rich

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
Orionengnr, just curious where are you located. I have a friend here in lovely Dayton, OH that rides almost everyday. He has a blog Moto Adventure. I'm sure he would like to here from you. He is always interested in riders like yourself who do not use four wheels. The blog web site. https://motoadventurer.com
Yes, ice is the key risk factor. I am about to break my streak, after 30 years without owning a car, because I'm spending this winter working in Minneapolis, MN. (Next week, I'm flying back to NH, and buying my ex-wife's 2002 Mini-Cooper S, as my winter/bad weather car.)

Most of that 30 years, I lived in San Diego, so winter was not an issue. But 7 years ago I moved to NH. I rode every day for 8-9 months a year in NH, and occasionally even in the real winter if the roads were dry, on my trusty 1993 M900. The first winter I was in NH, I rode right through the winter, since it only snowed twice that winter (2011/2012). (Other winters, I shared my [now ex-]wife's car when it was actually icy out.) I just got heated gloves, and rode on. Lots of riding at about 20F (-7C), which, with the heated gloves and decent layering otherwise, I could do for about an hour at a time without undue discomfort.

I'm now traveling for work, so I've ridden through the winter in a number of places. Mostly from St. Louis on down. I did spend the winter in Cleveland once, and I had to put the bike away for a couple of months and rent a car. The coldest I've ridden in was about 25 minutes at 5F (-15C), and that did indeed feel cold.

I know people who have ridden through the winter in NH multiple years. Usually, the drill for them is something like: Suzuki V-Strom, knobby dirt tire on the front, darkside car snow tire on the rear, and heated gear all over. It can be done, although that is just slightly outside my comfort zone.

PhilB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, ice is the key risk factor. I am about to break my streak, after 30 years without owning a car, because I'm spending this winter working in Minneapolis, MN. (Next week, I'm flying back to NH, and buying my ex-wife's 2002 Mini-Cooper S, as my winter/bad weather car.)

Most of that 30 years, I lived in San Diego, so winter was not an issue. But 7 years ago I moved to NH. I rode every day for 8-9 months a year in NH, and occasionally even in the real winter if the roads were dry, on my trusty 1993 M900. The first winter I was in NH, I rode right through the winter, since it only snowed twice that winter (2011/2012). (Other winters, I shared my [now ex-]wife's car when it was actually icy out.) I just got heated gloves, and rode on. Lots of riding at about 20F (-7C), which, with the heated gloves and decent layering otherwise, I could do for about an hour at a time without undue discomfort.

I'm now traveling for work, so I've ridden through the winter in a number of places. Mostly from St. Louis on down. I did spend the winter in Cleveland once, and I had to put the bike away for a couple of months and rent a car. The coldest I've ridden in was about 25 minutes at 5F (-15C), and that did indeed feel cold.

I know people who have ridden through the winter in NH multiple years. Usually, the drill for them is something like: Suzuki V-Strom, knobby dirt tire on the front, darkside car snow tire on the rear, and heated gear all over. It can be done, although that is just slightly outside my comfort zone.

PhilB
You’re a freaking trooper, Phil! I live in Southern Vermont, and as you know our New England winters are no joke. I bought my ‘06 S2R1000 new off the floor in Northampton, Ma. After convincing my wife not to divorce me, I persuaded her to give me a ride to the dealership so I could ride it home. It was March 2006, raining and 35 degrees. The maiden voyage was a long and uncomfortable ride back to Vermont, and the smile never left my face. Fast forward to 2018. I’m now 54 years old, and say “HELL, no!” If the temp is below 50. At least on my Monster! But hey, listen...I’m thinking of a Ural with studded knobbies for the winters. I could wear my ski gear. Just saying... Bikes are awesome. Never stop riding.

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Current:
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII
'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS
'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

Past:
'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold
'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold
'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

-----------------------------------------

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@jeosbor1
@MotoGirl
An observation that stood-out among many Ducati forums is that many Ducati riders are also avid cyclists. We have a couple of reasonably priced recreational bicycles but I've seen some extremely high end all carbon fiber racing rigs that are worth more than some motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts