Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this might sound like a rant and I'm really miffed, but I have a right to be -- and also be worried. Yesterday, I posted about my bike being hit/damaged on the sidewalk (hit for the 6th time this year on the sidewalk, no less). This sucks, but it's not the worst of it. I'm willing to accept that random things occur. Things which otherwise seem impossible or at least not practically possible. Or, just a mistake. But, if your front brake pin retainer clips were removed more than once within 1 the past month and placed a few feet away from your bike on the curb, what would you think? People, my brake pin retainer clips were removed this morning for the 2nd time this month!! 1) it's not random, 2) it's not a mistake, 3) it's malicious, 4) I have to find a new place to park my bike, 5) I need to let other riders know since this could happen to them.

The question is, what is wrong with some people? My bike is covered and double-locked when I'm not on it. I think if I didn't ride it every day to work, it would probably be vandalized more often. Why? I live in a pretty nice area in the UES of Manhattan. There are loads of nice bikes parked around. On my own block, there are at least 4 other bikes parked at all times. Within a 3 block radius, there are at least 20 more. It costs $175-200/month to park a bike in a garage around here which is pretty ludicrous if you consider that this means $2400 a year for a bike which only cost $7500. Plus, I doubt they people working the garages are 100% honest. Why would anyone expect them to be? They're probably paid pennies (under the table, as illegals) to watch rich people's Mercs and Escalades.

I've lived in a lot of places around the world. I've lived and travelled in cities a lot bigger and more chaotic than NYC. But, nowhere to be found so often is this level of disrespect and general malice. I'm fed up and it's making me sick. I suppose now I have no choice but to find some trustworthy garage if I'm going to be able to even consider riding safely again. But, why should I have to? Why should I have to check my brakes every morning before going to work to see if they've been sabotaged? Fortunately, I've been vigilant about checking everything each morning since the 1st incident of pin removal. How long do you think you can ride without the retaining clips? 20 minutes, maybe, before the pins vibrate out, the pads drop out and you've got no front brakes? What's next? I'm really fed up and it's making me mad.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ducatizzy said:
You need to make a police report. It is vandalism, and maybe also attempted murder (i.e. "depraved indifference murder")

But to answer your question, NYC is full of self-righteous a-holes. That's just the city. A lot of good people too, but it only takes one turd in your birthday cake to ruin the whole thing.

Is there any way for you to put up a webcam?

Make a police report.
Regarding the police report, you are correct, it should be on record. But, I'm not sure what it would accomplish. I wish I could set up a webcam, but my apartment is not facing the street.

99.5% of New Yorkers are nice and decent people. But the other .5% are low, man. I'm shocked. I really can't believe someone would do this. I gave the 1st time the benefit of the doubt that it was totally random and I just did an extra check each morning. I have no enemies and know or are friendly with most of the people around my building and next door.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
this doesnt sound like a random act to me. It sounds personal! :-\
how does someone hit a bike on the sidewalk in the first place? then to pull out your clips..... more than once.... Do you have an alarm on it?
I would be staking out and waiting for this person!! In all seriousness. But thats me... I know Terry would be with me on this! ;)

If you are going to file a police report though, you might want to stop leaving the bike on the sidewalk.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
lifes_an_ocean said:
I have no enemies and know or are friendly with most of the people around my building and next door.
you should let your neighbors know what's going on, so they can keep an eye on it as well. [thumbsup]

I would also suggest getting the garage spot.

·
Registered
517 Posts
ducatizzy said:
Then again, maybe you can get something better than the retainer clips? Aren't they just small hitch pins? You can put anything through that pin hole as it just holds the pad pin in place. I would look at something like a small key ring. Very hard to get off quickly. Combined with a motion alarm, it's done.
could you safety-wire the pins? that way you could still remove them when necessary, but they'd be a bit tougher to get out of there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
wow, that is pretty serious. I have never even checked the pins in my brakes.

Sorry to hear that. I would file a police report.

Try parking somewhere else, further away. It might be a disgruntle neighbor that does not want you parking there. Beyond the shear mechanics that this is a fairly deliberate act, it goes to show that what bonds us as a civil society is very limited. I am constantly amazed that less mayhem and violence does not happen with greater frequency. Not to be an alarmist, but it is best to act defensively and take every precaution necessary. A parking garage might be in order. The cost of the garage might be a good investment. I would also go beyond the parking attendant etiquette and tip him/her. It won't hurt.

G

·
slowduc said:
could you safety-wire the pins? that way you could still remove them when necessary, but they'd be a bit tougher to get out of there.
Was going to suggest the same thing...safety wire. .032 gauge, easy to work with, a bitch to sever without tools. Stoopid f'kers! Hope you snag the douche.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
skdmrks said:
Try parking somewhere else, further away. It might be a disgruntle neighbor that does not want you parking there.
I suspect this could be it. However, my block has so many bikes it might not be mine that someone has a problem with. It could be anyone's. And, they are all covered so it's not easy to determine which bike is which. I think I just have to move it or something else will happen.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
1. Police report
It may not accomplish anything but if something were to happen to you, you'll have a history and motive etc.

2. Safety wire

3. Webcam/camera/alarm/lockable cover

4. Note
Saying something along the lines of: Guess who's got your picture now? Fancy a visit from the police? Or something to that effect.

This is no joke, you should be taking *every* precaution that you can because it might be the retaining clips now, what next?

It's not a question of the city, it's people, they suck.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
i rememeber when i got yelled at by my landlord for parking on the sidewalk. at some points it almost felt like she was implying that something would happen to it if i did it again. so now i dont park on the sidewalk and she's left me alone.

maybe you've got someone who hates that you park on the sidewalk. be careful, who knows what else they would mess with. and definetly get an alarm.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Ocean, sorry to hear about your troubles, just goes to show that no matter where you live in this town, folks can be really stupid, petty, deserving of a wholesome beat down.

Speaking for myself and my boy skdmrks, our parking situtations here in Bklyn are far from desirable; people that need to bump into other cars in order to park, neighborhood hood rats always looking to get into something, oh and wait, the thieves! Luckily, most of "the block" is still old school and everybody knows about the bikes and watches over them as if they were their own.

Same goes for parking whilst I'm at work. There's a particular block on Spring St. where about 1 dozen or so bikes are parked daily. Again, we all watch out for each other's bikes so despite some very high dollar bikes vulnerablely parked out on the street, all has been well so far. Perhaps you can start some sort of bike club or put up flyers on your block to promote the same kind of solidarity.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Industrial_Grrrl said:
I wonder if safety wiring the clip is going to stop this... I think the person will just damage something else. I don't think this is a real solution. I say find this person!
+1 on not creating other problems you don't find.

If you're riding the bike every day, you're bound to piss someone off. Either it's too early, too late, too loud, wrong bike, or any bike is wrong. Not that I would f with someone's ride, but there are dozens of ways to do it, so I'd try to find a new parking setup. Problems at a garage would still be better than status quo.

As much fun as it would be to find/fight/arrest this person, that can only lead to more bad things and definite loss of your spot anyway. If they wanted to kill you they wouldn't have left the clips on the curb.

Your only solace is that you're the bigger person in the situation and aren't yanking out little pieces of metal on the sly because you're too lame to gripe in person.

If you catch them though, let's feed them to Boris and co.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've slightly changed parking location. I've got my cover pulled very tightly and tucked under the wheels in an inconvenient manner. I've told a few people who live here and nearby and one person who seems to know all the goings on doesn't know of anyone who has a problem with my bike. I think it's just someone who must go by and messes with people's bikes. I'm not going to get myself whipped into a frenzy anymore about it. It's nearly time to pack the bike away for winter, anyways. I'm going to be vigilant and make it troublesome to mess with the bike. Meanwhile, I've got a couple other people keeping an eye out. I've got a report filed too. Nothing will come of that, but it's on record. Now, I've got to relax a bit and not get as worked up as I did this morning. If this isn't the end of this, maybe the police will check into the other bike owners around? Hopefully, they aren't affected as well but I have a suspicion this isn't isolated to me. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'd suggest an alarm or some device that tells you when somethings happening to your bike. And even better if you've got a window you can just peek out when/if the alarm does go off. This has spared me trouble in the past.... IMO it would be worth it to stake out your bike a little just to meet them. It's obvious they have some mechanical clue. Do you really wanna find out how mechanically adept they are?

If you beat them enough, they'll never mess with your's or anyone else's bike anymore and neither will their friends "cause it's just not worth it". Remember, animals understand pain. If you "safetywire" the problem, it will only rear it's ugly head again and probably with more serious results. If you can't/won't do that, then seriously consider a garage. And for the record, you pay a few months in advance, you'll get a lower price. You just have to ask/work that out.

And you might rethink this statement as it will not win you allies anywhere. If you dont' trust something go somewhere else where you do.
lifes_an_ocean said:
Plus, I doubt they people working the garages are 100% honest. Why would anyone expect them to be? They're probably paid pennies (under the table, as illegals) to watch rich people's Mercs and Escalades.
Regardless, I wish you the best and hope you get this sorted out soon

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2001cromo said:
And you might rethink this statement as it will not win you allies anywhere. If you dont' trust something go somewhere else where you do.
You're right about that. I've had bad luck with a couple garages in NY, though, so there's a reason for my lack of trust. Once, things were missing from a car and another time things were left in the car -- you don't want to know.

This morning, I went over everything and nothing else is wrong with the bike in it's new location. I have a few more people keeping an eye out and I suspect that's about the best I can do without getting too paranoid.

I flipped out yesterday, but, all-in-all, people around me have been pretty supportive and helpful. This doesn't change the fact that there are malicious people out there but there are now more eyes making sure they don't get away with it a 3rd time. Thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts