Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed my tailchop, and now just realized that my tail light isn't getting brighter when braking...Is this the wiring, seperate bulb? Anyone with a similar problem? Recommendations?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Check the bulb and the connections of the wiring at the taillight.

Some folks with tail chops tend to have short bulb life due to more vibration (I suspect).

Someone here posted what the # was for a heavy duty version of the 1157 bulb....possibly something as obscure as 1157HD....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i just had to replace my bulb because only the brake light worked... the running light was burnt.. there are two seperate filaments in the bulb.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I don't know if it's the case with the newer Monsters, but on the older ones, you could easily put the bulb in backwards so that the bright one was on all the time and the dim one came on when you hit the brakes. I always had to check when inserting a new bulb. Oh, and the HD versions of the 1157 definitely lasted more than twice as long as the regular versions. I probably averaged about one bulb per year over six years with about 3000 miles of riding per year on the M0--.

By the way I currently have the same problem of the brake light not coming on with my ST2. It's a wiring problem and I haven't gotten it worked out yet. All I can guarantee is that the two brake switches now work correctly. Unlike the Monster, where you can uncover everything in about 30 seconds, the ST2 takes some tools to get to just about anything. One more session with a wiring diagram and I'll finally have it fixed (I hope).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have the same problem right now, I wacked off the old plate frame and added a smaller bracket (not a tail chop). When I installed the tail light the runnign lights wern't working so I changed the bulb and we're back up and running. BUT I have no brake light when using the front brake, ??? the rear brake lights up and the running light works. The front micro switch still clicks... I need to get a multi-meter and test the power at the tail light and at the bullet connector of the front switch.

If anyone has blown out a brake switch check out http://www.tawvehicle.com/fit2.htm this places offers the brembo switches at half the cost of your duck dealer. I found out about this place from a Guzzi rider.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've repeatedly had a problem with my front brake lever not activating the brake light. Last time it turned out to be a fuse, I'm going to check that first thing this weekend. Also, I switched the 48-LED cluster bulb, no more vibration problems.

·
Registered
221 Posts
if all of the above is ineffective:

check the contacts on the hand and foot break levers. Sometimes the switch that activates that light is out of kilter. The result is the brake light is on all of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts