Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the ducati tach on my M900, but it's got no marking where the redline should be? I have to admit that I came from riding an R6 to the monster and am used to pulling 15K rpm's ;D I know this big 900 thumper can't pull those revs, but what is safe?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Nine grand is perfectly safe, prolly won't hurt to pull a few more.

Fact is, though, that she's spent at 8 grand (all out of breath) so any more is pointless anyway.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I've seen 9500 a few times on the 97 M900 when I didn't want to shift right before braking for a corner. It ran cleanly to about 9000 after tuning the jetting. For maximum acceleration, I always shifted by 8500 or so.

It's interesting that my fuel injected ST2 pulls strong all the way to the 9500 rev limiter, which I occasionally hit when I'm not looking at the tach. Very different powerband than the M900 had.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 2000 has a factory limiter at 8500 but I wish it would go to 9200... I shuts down way to early :-/

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The old bikes don't have a rev limiter, so you can do whatever the he!! you want.... and live with the consequenses ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mine drops off above 8000 so i don't see the need to go much past that. At 5.5k i can make the same power.

Dyno your bike and find the sweet spot. Stay there and go faster.

Hmmmmmm.....they do sound sweet revved out though!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses! I'm going to put a little red arrow sticker on my tach so I can easily spot the shift point that's why I asked the question. I've noticed that it doesn't have any more go in it past 8000rpm so I usually shift there. However, I have pushed it past there a few times when a shift would have only led to a downshift right away. Supposedly the beauty of the duc valvetrain is that you can't have valve float due to design, but over rev could still cause some potential damage I guess. I just wanted be sure I wasn't in that area too much. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts