Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All
This is my first post but I've been lurking and watching all of you for some time. Awesome sight. Anyway, does anybody have an opinion on the trek from Fallbrook out to Murrieta on De Luz Road? It looks fast and fairly twisty but I don't know the condition. I've heard that it has some low spots with constant water and heavy algae. A buddy of mine and I are planning a trip from Oceanside to Murrieta this weekend and I thought that I'd get some feedback from you all. Good, bad or indifferent. I appreciate any (and I mean any) input....

Poohbah

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Most of the roads out there are fairly rough. While I havent been out on DeLuz recently I cant speak for its current condition. There are much nicer roads then that one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I dont know, but im from vista, and the roads around here kinda suck. as far as ive been able to find anyway. where are these beautifully paved california mountain roads i always heard about?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I can tell, the heavily travelled roads around here really do suck. My getaway has be W. Lilac Road. Even on a weekend I find myself completely alone and the surface is beautiful. I would love to get all of your opinions in regards to your favorite twisties of north county San Diego. Unfortunately, Palomar is becoming a freeway for bikes and unfortunately airborne 'officers of the law'.

Poohbah

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Red Baron,
I was hoping that was what I was in for. I've witnessed the the Santa Monic hills...... Ooooo, I'm jazzzzed. Now you've got me looking forward to Friday. Thanks so much for the input. I guess if I have to deal with crappy Caltrans roads, so be it. Temecula is beautiful this time of year......
Poohbah

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
8)

Yes, I've ridden De Luz; on my S4. Nice intriguing route, but one needs to be extremely cautious of the unexpected. It's better to stroll than hightail it through this area. Some creekbed areas with water and loose material in the road. Narrow spots with tight , blind turns. Quite a mixed bag...but, great for a slower ride.
Shot this on a De Luz ride last year........

..............................BD

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just came back from de luz. what a trip. the first half is cool, then you realize you havent a clue where you are and theres little streams of deadly water every half mile. still a cool ride. how bout that de luz school?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
De Luz is tight, no runoff room, and streams cross the road. Great ride is I-15 to Clinton Keith Rd, west. then on to Tenaja, then Via Volcano, then Los Gatos ( Los Gatos is about a 25% grade downhill, and kinda rough, beware, feels like you are going over the bars when you brake) left on Carancho, then onto DeLuz and to Fallbrook or Temecula, you choose.
After Clinton Keith turns to Tenaja it is a nature area, sometimes horses.
These are great roads for Monster, SBK ride is tough.
All these are narrow, and blind corners with cars or trucks coming at ya sometimes, so ride to the right and within your ability, no room for error.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So after taking all of your well intentioned opinions and suggestions in mind we did a ride to Julian by way of Highland Valley Road, 67, 78. Not exactly adventurous, but what a day!!! Nobody on HVR but 78 was pretty packed. But not coming down..... ;D So I didn't do De Luz, I wimped out but I gotta say, the ride today was sooooooo nice! Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I've finally been able to answer the question for myself. As for ducman851, Bad Dog, CliveS2R and troyslap you hit it right on the nose. Thanks. I'm still having mixed feelings about the road. Some parts are in great shape, some suck. It's definitely a technical ride. I hate the water crossings! And the pot holes! And the dips! But it is still a beautiful ride. For your first time on it definitely do not over ride. Really some cool scenery though! So I made the big loop from De Luz to Rancho California to Avenida Del Oro and on to Sandia Creek Drive. That was a pleasant surprise. Sandia Creek Drive was shweeeet!!! And that's all I'm going to say about that! I wish I was still there... [thumbsup]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts