Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or other size monster...

So after doing the corporate grind for 3 years I've decided to take a break. Going to take 2 months off around April. Among other things I want to travel around and see some cool **** I haven't seen before. I want to go to the Grand Canyon. On my duc. Am I nuts?

Ok so I know the monster is not a touring bike per se. Hell I'd do it on a R1200G$ Adventure if I had the cashola but the 620 is the bike I got. And I want to ride it out of Texas. Having to refuel ever 115 miles will kind of suck but I can deal. So for those of you that have logged a crapload of miles on one trip, what do you think?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
1200+ miles over a couple of days.

How about you let the DFW Monster crew know when you are planning on leaving and maybe we can get a ride up to Arkansas going. There are awesome roads and scenery.

Swanny

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Talk to Jammen, He rode from Boston to California, then a week later from California to Colorado and back. Without a problem except for a missing kickstand bolt.

Ive done 1200 miles in 4 days on my 620 no problem.

·
Registered
322 Posts
approx. 1300 miles in 3 days with very little interstate travel. i may have slabbed it 100 miles total for the weekend. there were a few of us. an st4s, a pacific coast, a v-strom 650, an rf600, and my little monster. the only part of my body that was sore was the very inside of my thighs. i guess that's an unused area. i have to get those pics of that trip on my hard drive. the v-strom guy took a bunch but posted them on some yahoo picture site. i can't steal them, yet. i will work at it some more and see if i can get 'em. but, that is my highest mileage for one weekend. nice trip. lyndse and i are taking the same trip in the spring but this time i am going to take a week off work to do it. the blue ridge is beautiful but there wasn't enough time to enjoy the scenery. everyone was in such a big hurry to ride as much as possible before heading home. still, what a fun trip.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
DanTheMan said:
Talk to Jammen, He rode from Boston to California, then a week later from California to Colorado and back. Without a problem except for a missing kickstand bolt.

i was going to mention Jammen's XCountry on a 620... [thumbsup] [clap]

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nissontek said:
the only part of my body that was sore was the very inside of my thighs. i guess that's an unused area.
no thighmaster? [laugh] omg I kill myself

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Factor..you're in Austin. So you have to go through Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff and then the Grand Canyon.

Talk to the guys in AZDRA and I'm sure you can crash at a couple of their places on the trip over. If I was still in Chandler, you could've stayed at my place. Oh well..look up Landshark, DucDucDave, S4_Randy, etc.

[thumbsup]

·
Registered
973 Posts
DanTheMan said:

DuCaTiNi said:
i was going to mention Jammen's XCountry on a 620... [thumbsup] [clap]
My ears seem to be burning. [laugh]

Lotta miles on a 620?
Get a DP Gel seat, some squishy inserts for you boots, a good size tail bag/tank bag and just ride. As Dan said, 6000+ miles over the course of a couple weeks isn't all that bad with a bit of preparation. Just make sure to tighten all the bolts you can get at. Running at 6k rpm for weeks at a time tends to loosen stuff up. ;)

If you get the chance, definitely look up the AZDRA crowd, awesome bunch of people.

Overall the 620 is a nice little touring bike, you should be able to get 150ish miles between fill ups, cruise fairly comfortably, have a blast on the fun roads when you get to where you're going, and getting to tell people you just did a crap ton of miles on a Ducati 620 is always classic. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
about a buck twenty... what can I say, I live on a rock ::) that'll get me from home to... home...

·
Registered
13 Posts
factorplayer said:
or other size monster...

So after doing the corporate grind for 3 years I've decided to take a break. Going to take 2 months off around April. Among other things I want to travel around and see some cool nuts I haven't seen before. I want to go to the Grand Canyon. On my duc. Am I nuts?

Ok so I know the monster is not a touring bike per se. Hell I'd do it on a R1200G$ Adventure if I had the cashola but the 620 is the bike I got. And I want to ride it out of Texas. Having to refuel ever 115 miles will kind of suck but I can deal. So for those of you that have logged a crapload of miles on one trip, what do you think?
You should consider incorporating RTE 12 in Utah. The most beautiful road I've been on and surely one of the top roads in the world. Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef National Parks are at either end. Zion Canyon NP is not far from Bryce. The roads throughout the whole area are just amazing and most people who've seen both, enjoy these canyons better than the Grand Canyon. Do both.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ducs of Hazard said:
You should consider incorporating RTE 12 in Utah. The most beautiful road I've been on and surely one of the top roads in the world. Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef National Parks are at either end. Zion Canyon NP is not far from Bryce. The roads throughout the whole area are just amazing and most people who've seen both, enjoy these canyons better than the Grand Canyon. Do both.
Definitely agree, the Zion area/Southern Utah in general is absolutely flipping gorgeous!
Highway 9 through Zion is damn cool, traffic can just be tough.
Highway 95 up through Glen Canyon is also amazing, just be prepared for being waayyy out in the middle of nowhere for quite some time.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jammen said:
Definitely agree, the Zion area/Southern Utah in general is absolutely flipping gorgeous!
Highway 9 through Zion is d**n cool, traffic can just be tough.
Highway 95 up through Glen Canyon is also amazing, just be prepared for being waayyy out in the middle of nowhere for quite some time.
Ditto on 95 (and 276 that goes down to lake powell). Haven't met too many people who've taken either.

I try to get out to southern utah at least once a year. Can't wait to do it on two wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahh very interesting. Definitely encouraging that others have toured on the 620 and survived. I mentioned my idea of riding to the grand canyon on my 620 to my co-worker. his response; "not a good idea if you like your... balls". I guess he has a poor opinion of the monster's suspension. He rides an 1150GS himself, which might explain that.

But I'm undeterred. I still want to ride out there. And what's virtually right next door to the Grand Canyon? Vegas, baby! So that will be stop 2. From there, **** it, might as well go visit my high school buddy in San Fran, stop by Apple HQ in Cupertino and network with my boss' boss' boss, then make a date with that cutie in Modesto I've been checking out on Myspace. Not even 600 miles out there from Vegas. Starting to sound like a plan....

·
Registered
93 Posts
2516 round trip in 5 days on S2R last August. Decent tankbag and good tailbag was all I needed. Of course, the tailbag wouldn't have been so necessary except for carrying 75 shirts to the rally ;) Kinda weird having backrest on a Monster [cheeky]

Was a little skeptical at first when leaving but would absolutely do it again. My biggest problem was not notifying the bank of my travle so they put a hold on my bank card when gas transactions starting happening about every 1.5 hours across Texas... wouldn't work at the pump but was OK going inside.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
BryanS said:
I did about 850 miles in one day on a 620.
I don't enjoy doing that much in a cage in one day! :p
Never did a multi day trip yet, but 450 miles in one day...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts